The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 15th SEPTEMBER 2010

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES ON 15 SEPTEMBER 2010 AT 18H00

 

 

PRESENT:       Charles Whyte (Chairman)

Debbie de Boer; Henry Rudzinski; Clr Marcelle Ravid; Steve Mendelsohn; Jacque Stoltz; Herbert Prins; JP Hansen; Jo Marais; Peter Marynowski; Anna Hedwig Benz; Matilda Margolis; Insp Mashilwane & Insp Shibamba (JMPD).

 

1.         WELCOME

The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

2.         APOLOGIES

Wayne Ford; AK Jadwat; Rob Milne; W/O Gert Bester.

 

3.         APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

 

4.         SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

  • Warrant Officer Bester is on leave, and was not present. Feedback on crimes is that we continue to have the same problems with vehicle-related crimes and smash-&-grab, but nothing more serious at the moment.
  • After a temporary respite, the hawkers and loiterers in 7th Street are back. There is still a problem with numerous hawkers and loiterers in 1st Street at the corner of 4th Ave, who are frequently drinking alcohol, smashing bottles and urinating etc starting from about 6:30pm. When the SAPS respond the loiterers scatter, but they return as soon as the police leave. There are also drunks again in the park, urinating and littering, the hawkers in 1st St by the taxi rank are increasing, and there are now new hawkers on the corner of 2nd Ave & 2nd Street.
  • Inspector Mashilwane and Inspector Shibamba of JMPD were present at Clr Ravid’s request. They undertook to conduct more frequent patrols and hawker blitzes. It was agreed that JMPD will commence by doing an inspection of Killarney together with Charles Whyte, to identify all the problem areas.
  • The JMPD officers also undertook to provide us with the contact details of the person at JMPD where we can report people washing cars in the street.
  • The CPF constitution has still not been finalised, due to other priorities.  The AGM will be held as soon as the constitution is finalised.

 

5.         TRAFFIC ISSUES

  • Our new traffic safety measures are basically complete. The additional island at the circle in 7th St, to stop taxis going around the wrong way, is now finished. The speed-hump outside Pick ‘n Pay in Killarney Road is fully operational, but we are still checking to see if it can be made a little steeper, as some cars still don’t stop at the stop street.
  • The timing has been modified at the robot at the motorway off-ramp into Riviera Road.
  • The engineers have reported that any modifications to the old speed-hump outside Clicks must be performed by the municipality.
  • Clr Ravid will continue to pursue the repair of the holes in the pavement in 3rd Street.

 

6.         ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

  • The M1 embankment alongside the broken fence in 7th St still needs additional cleaning. Clr Ravid will continue to pursue this matter for us.
  • We have also requested from PikiTup to ensure their rubbish collection crews leave less litter on the ground when they do a collection, and that they collect the street-sweeper bags at the same time.
  • We have identified a new recycling contractor – Mikail Schaffer on 082 602 6292, or at info@dumpit.co.za, or Nazim Ameen at nazimameen@gmail.com.
  • Clr Ravid will update us on the bylaw’s for washing cars in the streets, and for the real estate signs on the pavements.
  • Clr Ravid will organise the health inspectors to visit Martinhall Manor to look into allegations about rodent infestation and the fire escape, as well as at Martindale Mews re the swimming pool and the mosquito problem.
  • A member has recommended the following contact people as being above average:

 

7.         NEW PROJECTS

  • WMP has agreed to sponsor the competition for the most attractive pavement. Details will be published soon.
  • A previous proposal to get sponsored street cleaners was put on hold after PikiTup assured us they would lift their service. WF will approach sponsors again to reactivate the project.

 

8.         FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

  • The subscriptions are trickling in, but a number have still not been paid.

 

9.         GENERAL

There was no further discussion.

 

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees.

 

The next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 20 OCTOBER 2010 AT 18H00

 

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS