The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors RUSSELL FISHER PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.
REBATES on Municipal Rates for Pensioners
Registered property owners who are pensioners may apply for a rebate on rates, subject to certain criteria.
The process of applying for a rebate varies from category to category, so it is important to check out each section carefully and follow the steps outlined.
You need to use the proper application form.
Pensioner rebate application forms are also available:
(i) on the COJ website;
(ii) at the Customer Service Centre’s
(iii) from the Property Branch
(Request from e-mail address: email@example.com)
This is not an automatic rebate. An application must be done on the prescribed application form.
Completed application forms must be delivered to any Customer Service Centre and a reference number must be attached to the application form.
a) The rebate is applicable to property rates only.
b) The residential property must consist of one dwelling;
c) The owner must have reached the age of 60 years;
d) The owner must own and occupy the property;
e) This rebate also applies to property owners who have become pensioners due to injury on duty;
f) Pensioners who own property by way of a registered long-term lease may apply for the rebate;
g) The property owner must apply at the nearest Customer Service Centre on a form prescribed by the Council and a reference number must be attached to the application form for approval of a rebate by the Property Branch;
h) A rebate shall be granted for a maximum duration of the Valuation Roll;
i) The rebate will be granted from the date of application unless otherwise stated;
j) An application to renew a pensioner rebate must be done before the beginning of a new Valuation Roll (every 4-5 years).
There are two categories of Pensioners:
A: 60 – 69 Years Old
If a pensioner is between 60-69 years, the conditions are:
- The market value threshold is R1.5 million (inclusive of the residential threshold value). Rates will be levied on the market value in excess of R1.5 million. This is subject to the income criteria.
- If a pensioner has a gross monthly income below and equal to R11,904, the pensioner will qualify for a 100% rebate up to a market value of R1.5 million. Rates will be levied on the market value in excess of R1.5 million.
- If a pensioner has a gross monthly income above R11,904 less than or equal to R20,404 the pensioner will qualify for a 50% rebate up to a market value of R1.5 million. Rates will be levied on the market value in excess of R1.5 million.
- If a pensioner monthly income is above R20,404, the pensioner will not qualify for a rebate.
- If a pensioner receives a National Security Grant, they will qualify for a 100% rebate subject to the market value threshold and conditions.
The application should include:
- a certified copy of ID,
- 3 months recent bank statement, proof of income OR copy of certified SAASA card OR other proof of income acceptable to the Council, and the most recent income tax assessment issued by the South African Revenue Service.
B: 70 Years and above
If a pensioner is aged 70 years and above:
- The market value threshold is R2 million (inclusive of the residential threshold value). Rates will be levied on the market value in excess of R2 million.
- The pensioner will qualify for a 100% rebate on rates, irrespective of income, up to a market value of R2 million. Rates will be levied on the market value in excess of R2 million.
- The application should include: a certified copy of ID.
Pensioners who currently have a pensioner rebate on property rates, must apply to renew the rebate before 30 June 2023. This means that all existing pensioner rebates are valid until 30 June 2023.
The updated pensioner rebate application forms are available here, and from the City’s walk-in centers or from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application form for Pensioners aged 60-69
Application form for Pensioners aged 70 and above
The pensioner rebate application forms must be submitted to the nearest walk-in centre and a reference number must be obtained.
NB.: All residents who become pensioners and are eligible for a pensioner rebate may submit a ‘new’ application at any time subject to the conditions set out in the City of Joburg rates policy.