The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 11th AUGUST 2010

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES ON 11 AUGUST 2010 AT 18H00

 

 

PRESENT:       Wayne Ford (Chairman)

Henry Rudzinski; Barry Milner; Frank & Audrey Kobrin, Clr Marcelle Ravid; W/O Gert Bester; Steve Mendelsohn; Jacque Stoltz; Helene Bell; Mary Caganoff; Rob Milne; George Kymdell.

 

 

1.         WELCOME

WF welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

2.         APOLOGIES

Liora Kloss; Charlotte Danby; Charles Whyte; Yogan Naidoo, AK Jadwat, Herbert Prins.

 

3.         APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved. One spelling mistake was noted, for correction.

 

4.         SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

  • Crime statistics were not available for the month. However Warrant Officer Bester reported that vehicle-related crimes continue to be a problem, with several cases of smash-&-grab again reported at the corner of Newton Road and Houghton Drive. Five arrests for these offences had been made on our borders, but not actually in Killarney.
  • The various parks around Killarney are being patrolled by SAPF reservists. Some vagrants and hawkers have been arrested for various by-law offences.
  • The allegation of police members using a Rosebank SAPF vehicle to falsely arrest and extort random victims, has been taken up by the Hillbrow Station Commander with the Rosebank SAPF management.
  • The CPF AGM will probably be held in September. The CPF constitution is still being updated to bring it in line with that of the National body.

 

5.         TRAFFIC ISSUES

  • Our new traffic safety measures are underway at last. The additional island at the circle in 7th St, to stop taxis going around the wrong way, is being done first. The speed-hump outside Pick ‘n Pay in Killarney Road will be undertaken after the island is completed. The contractors expect to be finished by the weekend of 15 August except for the painting and signage, which has to wait until the asphalt is dry.
  • The painting of the street names on kerb-stones is complete. 162 kerb-stones have been painted. The cost in total, for the stencils, the paint and the labour, was R7991. The meeting agreed that this project has greatly enhanced the look and utility of the area, and there was a warm vote of thanks to Charles, Henry and Josh.

 

6.         ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

  • The M1 embankment alongside the broken fence in 7th St needs additional cleaning, as the litter and rubbish from the vagrants is still considerable. Further efforts from PikiTup would be very welcome.
  • The two additional concrete street-bins which PikiTup delivered to 1st St, near the taxi queuing point, are being heavily used. While it is good that people are using the bins rather than dropping litter on the ground, the bins are a bit of an eye-sore, as PikiTup are not cleaning them often enough, and they rapidly fill to capacity. Clr R was requested to liaise with PikiTup to have this attended to.
  • All buildings are requested not to put their wheelie-bins out for PikiTup earlier than necessary, as this makes it easier for the scavengers who we are trying to dissuade.
  • The street-lights in 2nd St and 2nd Ave appear to have been successfully fixed.  Problems remain in Oxford Road, and in Houghton Drive between Newton Road and Carse ‘o Gowrie. This is a major crime hot-spot. Clr R was asked to facilitate urgent repairs in this area particularly.
  • A mysterious benefactor weeded and swept the three islands in 4th Avenue during the month. Many thanks to them, whoever they are!
  • The swimming pool at Martindale Mews has been left to rot, and it’s now half full of slime. This is a mosquito breeding ground, and a health hazard. JS will attempt to negotiate a solution with the building owner, failing which Clr R will be asked to involve the Health Department.

 

7.         NEW PROJECTS

  • It was suggested that we attempt to create a Voluntary Residential Improvement District, to deal with cleaning, pot-holes etc. JS works for a consultancy that specialises in this field, and he undertook to do some research for us on this project.

·         A Pavement competition was again suggested, as Spring is almost upon us. WF will approach some estate agencies in search of a sponsor.

 

8.         FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

  • The subscriptions are trickling in slowly, but a number have not yet been paid.

 

9.         GENERAL

·         The BRT is apparently on hold at least until 2011, as there are a number of problems to be resolved first.

·         The Consumer Protection Act, which comes into effect in October, will allow residents to claim damages from the City Council if services are not delivered timeously and properly.

 

 

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees. Please note that, from September onwards, the monthly meetings will be held on the THIRD Wednesday of every month.

 

The next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 15 SEPTEMBER 2010 AT 18H00

 

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS