The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES APRIL 2008

MINUTES
OF THE NEW KILLARNEY/RIVIERA ASSOCIATION MEETING
HELD AT NIB ON 10 APRIL 2008 AT 18HOO

PRESENT: 

Wayne Ford (Chairman)
Jo Marais (Environment)
Jenny Chalmers (Secretary)
Barry Milner
Rochelle Aarons 
Dalein Rutenberg
Rick Mohring
Mr Locke
Steve Mendelssohn 
Leo Schwartz
 
APOLOGIES:  

Brent Chalmers (Treasurer)

Clr Ravid (Region 3)
Stan Kaplan – (Projects)
Clr Mohlala (Region 8)

1.  WELCOME
WF welcomed everyone to the meeting.   Apologies were noted.

2.  MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
The Minutes were taken as read and approved without further amendment. 

3. SECURITY FEEDBACK / COMMUNITY SAFETY PROJECT – SCAI
• Inspec Bester was busy with special operations involving stolen vehicles, but SMS’d statistics.  (Thefts involving vehicles was the most serious crime in Killarney (7 cases), followed by house breaking (6 cases).  Two stolen vehicles have been recovered with suspects.)
• WF reported on a CPF meeting held on 9 April 2008 and noted that things are improving although there is concern in the Braamfontein sector where increased business robberies are taking place.
• The Mall is a focal point for crime in the Killarney area and the SCAI camera has picked up a number of incidents. 
• Positive feedback with regard to the SCAI camera is that the drug dealers operating in 1st Street have moved.  Unfortunately they have moved to 2nd Street – Buildings in this Street should be aware.
• LS reported on the upgrade of security taking place at Brenthurst.
• An inspection of the SCAI control room took place during the week by a number of members of the NKRA with Marc explaining the operations.  It was noted that some buildings are now fully operational and others in the transitional stage.
• Steve M attended the control room meeting and reported that he was 62% impressed.  SM understands that a lot of modifications still need to be made but in the meantime the security of the area is at risk while waiting for SCAI to become fully operational.
• SCAI and SAPS are liaising and the patrol vehicle is patrolling the area.
• Rick Mohring of Biarritz reported that they had yet to hear from SCAI.  WF passed on Marc Kohlberg’s cell number.
• WF reported that Inspector Bester was unimpressed with the security at Splice; the guards are not up to scratch nor the cameras efficient. This is of concern in the area.
• WF reported on a suggested change to the Constitution of the CPF, namely that in future an election for office bearers would take place every second year instead of every year.  This amendment was unanimously approved by the meeting.  Wayne Ford was nominated to represent the Killarney Sector at the CPS for the next 12 months.  He accepted the nomination.
• The trees in 1st Street are of concern – WF asked BM if his Body Corporate could get these cut back as it will make this area less attractive to vagrants.

4. TRAFFIC AND TAXI PROJECT
• With regard to the raised pedestrian crossing / speed humps in Killarney Road, JM reported that a Councillor is blocking the process.  Clr has indicated that this is because all such requests now need to be undertaken in terms of the Ward Safety Plan.  This task will be added to the Plan.
• JM will be holding an onsite meeting with Johannesburg Roads Agency at the off ramp of the M1 into Riviera Road next week.
• WF reported that a traffic engineer had telephoned him and was amazed that the turning arrows on the corner Oxford and Riviera Roads are not yet operational.  This was supposed to have been installed a year ago. WF was assured this would take place mid April 2008.

5.  ENVIROMENT
• Clr R advised WF that the ablution block in Killarney Park (4th Street) will be upgraded and the fence moved.

6. MALL CONSTRUCTION PROJECT AND FEEDBACK
• There have been no further developments since the Tribunal.
• This will take a couple of months.
• The same applies to the library.

7. FINANCE
• JLC reported the following on behalf of BDC.
• The following buildings have been invoiced and payments are outstanding:
Biarritz
Cranwell Hall
Earl’s Court
Glenhof
Hampshire House
Hillside Village
Killarney Wilds
Monviso
Park Avenue
Portofino
PPS Insurance
Santa Margherita
Spinney Close
St John’s Wood.

• BDC to contact Jo Marais on marbeck@teklomsa.net as Berkeley Square are interested in joining the NKRA.
• BDC to email Glenhof’s invoice to Dalien Ruitenberg.
• The NKRA web page is in progress.  BDC will report on developments at the next meeting.

8. GENERAL
• WF advised the meeting that the AstroTech training organisation have bought the Liberty Life Conference Centre and will be moving in on the 7th May 2008.  Negotiations are in progress with the Council for the purchase of the parking lot.
• WF to introduce AstroTech to SCAI.
• The Newsletter has been printed and should be out next week.
• JM reported that the cancellation of the servitude on the parking lot behind Berkeley Square is in progress.
• WF reported that all street signs in the area are being replaced but this will take a long time to reach the smaller roads. 
• Street painting is done on a rotation basis.
• Vered contacted WF with regard to a monthly street cleaning crew – the crew will wear bibs advertising Vered.  WF invited Vered to the meeting – unfortunately they did not arrive.

The meeting was closed with thanks to all attendees. 

The next meeting will be held on 8 MAY 2008 at 18H00.