The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors RUSSELL FISHER PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY and the KILLARNEY MALL, and for the street cleaning services provided by RCS SECURITY SERVICES.

PGPPGPPGP PGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 20th SEPTEMBER 2023

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD VIRTUALLY OVER THE INTERNET

ON WEDNESDAY 20 SEPTEMBER 2023 at 18H30

PRESENT:     Wayne Ford (Killarney Village); Charles Whyte (Beverley Heights); Hakima Haithar (Mentone Court); Moosa Jeena (Riviera Villas); Boitumelo Sebambo (Mentone Court); Ivan Hthiume (Mentone Court); Laeeqa (Mentone Court); Trish Terry (Gleneagles); Maryam Daya (Mentone Court).

1. WELCOME

  • Wayne opened the meeting, and welcomed all attendees.

2.  APOLOGIES RECEIVED

  • Kim Robinson (Killarney Hills).

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT

  • We will try to keep the meeting to one hour if possible.

4. CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES, AND MATTERS ARISING

  • The minutes of the previous meeting have been circulated to all attendees, and have been approved by them. The details thereof were incorporated into the monthly newsletter.

5.  STATUS OF OUR SUBURB, AND LIST OF ISSUES REQUIRING ACTION

  • Squatters on motorway embankment. This is a by-law enforcement issue, and only JMPD can actually fix it. Meanwhile we need to be proactive in managing the consequences.
  • The meeting agreed to spend R3,300 to add a security camera onto the Castlerosse camera system, to watch over the 7th Street car-park area and the surrounds. This proposal will now be presented to the members in the next newsletter, and if there are no objections we will proceed.
  • This camera will be monitored by the Castlerosse security company, and they will link with the police as needed. The camera footage will be recorded, and it can be used as evidence in court if needed.
  • We have obtained a quote for a street cleaner, to manage the litter in this area. The quote is R7,935 per month for 5 days per week, or R380 per day. This service includes transport, the tools and uniforms and other equipment needed etc. The sweeper will also be connected to the security guards at Castlerosse, and will be able to report security issues to them. The meeting agreed to hire a sweeper for two days per week to begin with, at a cost of R3,040 for one month. Thereafter we will have a good idea of what is needed, and if it would be worth the money to continue. Our finances will not permit this to be done indefinitely, so we will need to find sponsorship of some sort to continue if needed. This proposal will now be presented to the members in the newsletter, and if there are no objections we will proceed for one month.
  • The attendees from Mentone Court indicated that extra sweeping services are also required at the 1st Street taxi rank, especially on a Monday morning. They will discuss this with the Mentone Court board of trustees, to see if Mentone Court’s employees could be asked to assist with this.
  • It was mentioned that squatters seem to be living on the pavement of Riviera Road and the motorway, along the boundary of the golf course. Wayne will contact the golf course management to discuss this.
  • Mentone Court would also benefit from having a camera at the taxi rank. It was explained that installing a camera is easy, but that a trained person needs to operate the camera and monitor the screens. The Mentone Court attendees will discuss this with the Mentone Court board of trustees.
  • The idea of a urinating facility on the pavement at the taxi rank was discussed. There is a concern that this might be seen as accepting the presence of the taxis. However it was pointed out that the urinating is already an existing problem, and that this step is intended to help us manage and mitigate the consequences while we continue to push for the Mall to meet their responsibilities to build a proper taxi facility on their premises. The idea is to attract all the urinating into a single spot away from Mentone Court doors and windows, as well as to provide a soft gravel floor in that spot to absorb the urine and prevent it from running around on various pavements.
  • It is not possible to build the urinating facility on the Dukes Court side of the road, because we are not allowed to build anything on the municipal pavement. Mentone Court is almost unique in having a strip of privately-owned land outside their boundary wall. The facility will be cheap and simple, and it will be dismantled as soon as a proper taxi facility becomes available. Many of the taxi drivers and local drinkers are clearly unwilling to walk into the Mall to use the proper bathrooms.
  • Mentone Court will decide at their next AGM if they will be fencing off this privately-owned space. This might help a bit, but the urinating will just move to the Mentone Court garage doors, and the hawkers on the corner will be unaffected.
  • The hawkers and gamblers in Killarney Avenue are getting worse. We need to improve our liaison with the SAPS on this. Wayne will again contact the CPF, to see what can be done to improve this law enforcement service.
  • The suggestion for a fenced-off area inside the park for dogs to run free, is bogged down. The Killarney residents are unable to agree on the way forward, and Joburg City Parks are not responding. The status quo will therefore remain until we can develop some momentum with City Parks. We need ideally to identify the specific person in City Parks who is directly responsible for the issue of dogs in parks.
  • We need to continually warn people about the risk of cell-phone snatching on pavements. Despite all the issues and efforts thus far, we still see many people standing or walking with cell-phone in hand, concentrating on the phone and not on their surroundings. All buildings will again be asked to put up signs etc inside the building – aimed at warning your visitors as well as your residents.
  • The project to sue the municipality to enforce the by-laws, is bogging down because the lawyers need to first have a complainant who has the financial means to pay the legal costs of the municipality if we lose the case. The NKRA does not have the assets or the revenue stream to be able to do this. We are hoping that the opposition political parties may be willing to join such a case, but so far there has been no response.
  • We are proceeding with our project to gather reliable feedback from our various buildings on the quality of the borehole water available in Killarney-Riviera. This database will then be shared with all buildings.

6.  NEW ISSUES

  • A concern has been expressed about ladies loitering on the pavement at the corner of 5th Street and 2nd Avenue. In one opinion they were seen to be behaving “in the manner of prostitutes”. All buildings will be asked to monitor activity on the pavements, and to report illegal behaviour.
  • The main sewer line in Riviera Road is blocked, and sewerage water is now bubbling up through the manhole covers. This is an obvious health hazard, which requires urgent attention.

.

The meeting was closed at 19h44, with thanks to all who participated.

Our next public meeting will be held virtually on

WEDNESDAY 18 OCTOBER 2023 AT 18H30

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS

.

JMPD call centre hotline number – 080 872 3342

JMPD Control Room – 011 758 9620

City emergency hotline on 011 375 5911

SAPS patrol van – 071 675 6001

If you get no response from the patrol van, please call 10111

Councillor Huggett – by SMS or WhatsApp – 071 785 8068