The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 19th OCTOBER 2011

MINUTES
FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)

ON WEDNESDAY 19 OCTOBER 2011 AT 18H00
PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chairman); Charles Whyte; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Jo
Marais; Henry Rudzinske; Debbie de Beer; Audrey Kobrin; Frank Kobrin; David
Spencer; Mathilde Margolis; Peter Marynowski; Rochelle Aaron; Dalien Rutenberg.

1.    WELCOME

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2.    APOLOGIES

Ian West; Steve Mendelsohn; Clr Ravid; Yogan Naidoo.

We send our best wishes to Steve Mendelsohn, who has recently undergone major surgery.
3.    APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.
4.    SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

Captain Moonsamy presented the crime report. The following statistics were reported: one assault with grievous bodily harm; one home invasion (which was an inside job by a disgruntled former employee); three car thefts and two thefts out of vehicles.

  • Please be aware that employees or former employees often know your habits, where you keep your valuables and how your security system works, so be cautious when reprimanding or dismissing employees.
  • Almost all security guards carry personal cell-phones. It is recommended to load those numbers into your speed-dial, so that if you come home late and see a suspicious person loitering nearby, you can phone your guard and ask them to be present before you open the gate or exit your car.
  • The large police vehicle that is parked on the pavement of Mentone Court in Killarney Road is intended to create a police presence so as to deter criminals. Vehicle-related crimes have decreased since it was introduced, so although it might be coincidence, the out-of-town car thieves seem to have been deterred by its presence so far.
  • Residents are asked not to support the many beggars at our traffic lights, as your generosity will attract more of them. Please be especially hard-hearted when the beggars are children or bring children with them, as supporting these children makes begging more attractive for them than going to school.
  • The SAPS are still recruiting reservists, who will be trained and empowered to provide certain policing services within Killarney.
  • The Hillbrow Police Station CPF AGM will take place on 22 November, at 6pm, at the
    Hall at the police station. All are urged to attend and participate.

5.    TRAFFIC ISSUES

  • The project to improve traffic safety in 4th Street and Main Road, is well underway. The engineer is busy preparing the drawings, and construction of the new speed-humps will probably be finished before the holiday shutdown.
  • Clr Ravid reports that the JRA will again investigate the malfunctioning actuator
    on the traffic light on the motorway off-ramp at Riviera Road.
  • Rumour has it that the BRT through Oxford Road has been abandoned. We will therefore circulate a petition requesting a bus route linking Rosebank to Houghton School, running
    along Rivera Road past the Mall in one direction, and along 7th Street and down 4th Ave on the other side of the loop. This will hopefully bring all of Killarney-Riviera within three blocks of public transport, as well as add value to residents in Houghton and Houghton Estate.

6.    ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

  • The invasive trees in 10th Street have been cut right down by the owner of the vacant stand. New stinkwood trees have been planted in an attempt to stabilise the soil on the slope, but the owner does not have the funds to stabilise the embankment completely, and has asked the NKRA to consider a joint project with him to correct this problem. It was agreed that further research will need to be done before a decision can be taken on this request.
  • City Parks have committed to plant new trees in the 4th Street Park in the very near future. Hopefully this will be followed by new pavement trees as requested.
  • Pruning of pavement and park trees has also been requested, and is “on the list”.
  • The street-sweeping service in 1st Street and Killarney Road is settling down nicely. A decision will be made at the November meeting on whether or not to extend this project into 4th Ave and Main Road as well. Buildings are again asked to promptly take inside the bags of litter gathered up by the PikiTup street sweepers, as these will otherwise be opened and emptied out again by the scavengers.
  • Lights project – Daventry Court and Beverley Heights will shortly be installing additional flood-lights in 1st Street. Their electrician has been somewhat unhelpful. WF will provide Charles with some additional references.
  • All the sign-poles in the area have been repainted. There were 191 poles in total. The cost was R5539. If you notice an unpainted pole that we missed, please do let us know. Many thanks indeed to Charles and Henry for making this project happen.
  • It was agreed to go ahead with a project to repair all the dangerously uneven sections of pavement in the suburb. Quotes were discussed, and a budget of R40,000 was approved for this project. Wayne and Charles were authorised to commence the process. Priority will be given to pavements around buildings which are contributing members, and to pavements which carry heavy pedestrian traffic.
  • The paving in the 4th Street Park is also becoming quite uneven. City Parks will be contacted to inspect this problem, and propose a solution.

7.    FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

  • With Steve not available this was held over.

8.    GENERAL

  • Gleneagles will soon be unveiling a plaque signifying the historical nature of their building. A function will be arranged later this year, and the NKRA will be invited to attend.
  • The vacant lot at 58 Oxford Road (next to the Gautrain emergency exit) is being developed at last, so presumably the squatter problem here is resolved for good. You can view their website at http://www.lynnestates.com/sandton/riviera/58main.html

The meeting was closed at 19H40, with thanks to all who attended, and with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 16 NOVEMBER 2011 AT 18H00

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS