The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.
MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 19th JULY 2017
MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 19 JULY 2017 AT 17H00
PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Killarney Village); Colin Froneman (Chartwell); Charles Whyte (Beverley Heights); Mike Kalk (Brenthurst Court); Jaco Botha (Brenthurst Court); Julie Wilson (Killarney Hills); Jaco le Roux (Chartwell); Dave Jones (Chartwell); Margaret Urban (Hanover Gate); Ruth Kuper (Gleneagles); Tim Davies (Chartwell); Vivienne Cobbett (Biarritz); Dean Dada (RCS Security); Colbert Baloyi (Red Alert Security).
The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Elena Joaquim (St Johns Wood); Eleanor Huggett (Ward Councillor); Paulo Joaquim (Sevenoaks); Chelsea Paull (Gleneagles); Yogan Naidoo (Dukes Court); George Kymdell (NAMA); Amora Visser (Killarney Park); Estelle Jacobs (Killarney Park); Harry Rutenberg (Sevenoaks).
3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• We will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish by 6pm.
4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.
5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy has apologised, as he is on leave, and we do not have the crime statistics.
• The noise and disturbance problems in 1st Street continue, particularly near the taxi rank.
• Wayne has been informed by the Mall Centre Manager that the Mall owners have put on ice their proposal to build a proper taxi facility on the Mall premises outside Pick ‘n Pay. They are restarting the process from square one, and they will not issue any binding letters of intent until this investigative process is completed and they know what is possible and what is not possible. This will take time – probably several months at least.
• It was clarified that the municipal traffic engineers have been involved in this matter for years.
• Our Park Ambassador provided valuable assistance recently when some children were mugged by three youths in 3rd Street. They ran to the park to tell the Ambassador, who called in his armed response backup, and the armed response car arrested the muggers. The muggers were not local people. While it is a concern that children are being mugged in Killarney, and we all now need to be extra careful, at least we know that the Ambassador system works as intended.
• The councillor met a week ago with Captain Moonsamy, Brig Nevuhulu (the Hillbrow SAPS station commander) and Inspector Mantu from JMPD – who is new but was apparently very supportive. He and Captain Moonsamy are making a plan to patrol our area on weekends and Friday nights, with some random patrols in between. The Brigadier has committed to support this project by providing SAPS manpower for these patrols. The patrols will start toward month end, to give all the parties time to arrange the necessary admin processes.
• Once they have a plan, the community will have a chance to give additional suggestions, and our information will also be needed on an on-going basis to support the operations.
6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• The councillor has apologised for non-attendance, as she is on annual leave.
• There is no further feedback yet on the municipal process to compel Martindale Mews to rectify the illegal structures they built in their driveway.
7. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• It was agreed to once again hold an October Community Day Picnic in the park. Last year we held the event on a Sunday, so this year the date will be Saturday 28 October. We need an organising sub-committee please, primarily to assist with the marketing and to organise the vendors, so if you are willing to help please volunteer. We will apply at once to City Parks for permission, and hopefully the process will go smoothly this year.
• Killarney Mall is staging a Snow World event from 4 -20 August on the Killarney Mall rooftop parking, from 10am until 6pm daily. The event will feature an Ice slide, Ice age animals, a Snow globe and a Snow play area. On 5 & 6 August the Winter Market will take place, from 10am until 3pm. The market will feature a variety of exhibitors ranging from snacks to winter clothing, as well as live jazz music. You can get tickets from Webtickets, and you can contact Katia for the details at email@example.com.
• The painting of the Lhenveolan building in 1st Street is continuing. The building is big, and the interiors of the flats still need to be renovated as well. The job will seemingly take a few more months to complete.
• We are still struggling to get all the potholes and pavements repaired. Please report problems to the JRA at http://www.jra.org.za/find-and-fix-mobile-app, or call 011 375 5555.
• Road markings need to be repainted urgently – especially stop-streets and speed-humps.
• It was reported that the car washers are now getting water from the park ablution block. Car washing is illegal, but taking a bucket of water from the public toilets is not illegal.
• It was suggested that Chartwell and Brenthurst Court should put up signs on their 3rd Street pavements to indicate that car-washing is illegal. Putting up signs on pavements is itself illegal, so we will first check with the councillor re what we are actually allowed to do.
• Please use the number 0860 562 874 to report all road and pavement-related problems to the municipality. This includes all cases of rubble being dumped on pavements, potholes in roads or pavements, road signs in need of repair, streetlights not working, blocked storm-drains, or traffic lights out of order. You can also report all of these issues to the new call centre hotline number – 080 872 3342. Please keep the reference numbers for follow-up.
8. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• We now have enough money to start considering projects again. Please send in your ideas and suggestions.
• 29 buildings are currently members of the NKRA. If your building would like to also become an NKRA member, please contact us.
• The Wilds Day was a great success. Many residents attended to participate. Trees were pruned and the gardens cleaned up. It has been suggested that we should do this more often.
• High Street Auctioneers have put up signs advertising the auction of Dr Martin’s 20 apartments in Hyde Court in 1st Street. The website says “To be auctioned individually, in parcels or as one lot (All must sell)”. You can view the details of the building and the auction on the website at https://www.property24.com/for-sale/killarney/johannesburg/gauteng/4388/105358888.
The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for hosting us.
Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 16 AUGUST 2017 at 5pm
PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS
JMPD call centre hotline number – 080 872 3342.
SAPS patrol van – 071 675 6001
If you get no response, please call the Hillbrow Joint Operations Command Centre
on 011 488 6712, or call 10111.