MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 15th AUGUST 2018

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT ROOM 223A OF THE MALL OFFICE TOWER
ON WEDNESDAY 15th AUGUST 2018 AT 17H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Killarney Village); Julie Wilson (Killarney Hills); Ruth Kuper (Gleneagles); Vivienne Cobbett (Biarritz); Ward Councillor Eleanor Huggett; Charles Whyte (Beverley Heights); Mike Kalk (Brenthurst Court); Dean Dada (RCS Security); Margaret Urban (Hanover Gate); Romi Reinecke (Daventry Court); Tony Mantle (Gleneagles); George Kymdell (NAMA); Annica Marincowitz (Chartwell); Adrienne Egbers (Cranwell Hall).

1. WELCOME
The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Yogan Naidoo (Dukes Court); Faye Sher; Paulo Joaquim (Sevenoaks); Elena Joaquim (St John’s Wood); Sgt Mdlolo (SAPS); David Spencer (Brenthurst Court); Dalien Rutenberg (Glenhof Gardens).

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• We will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish by 6pm.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Sergeant Mdlolo was not present to report the crime statistics.
• The chair reported on the steps being taken against the illegal selling of drugs and drinking of alcohol in 1st Street and 2nd Street. A meeting was convened by Clr Huggett with two colonels from Hillbrow Police Station, the Regional commander from JMPD, and the Urban Inspector for our region. Also attending were Dean Dada of RCS security, who provides security services to several buildings in 1st Street, Fonnie Nel the building manager for Daventry Court, Charles Whyte and Wayne Ford.
• It was agreed that the urban inspector will log all the various by-law infringements, with specific focus on over-crowding and hawkers, and he will then pursue the various operational departments for action – assisted by the councillor.
• The SAPS and the JMPD agreed to conduct regular joint operations at both ends of 1st Street, specifically targeting drinking in public and possession of drugs, and to arrest or fine anybody breaking the laws.
• RCS Security undertook to provide extra personnel to assist with these operations.
• The SAPS vehicle patrols have been increased in 1st Street, but the drinkers hide the alcohol in vehicles when they see the police cars coming, and it’s not illegal to have alcohol in the boot of a car. The SAPS therefore is planning to conduct under-cover operations at the taxi rank, to secure hard evidence to eventually arrest the alcohol and drug sellers.
• The SAPS asked the community to assist them, by taking photos or film of public drinking and alcohol-selling where we can, and trying to get car licence plates in the photos if we note a car delivering or purchasing drugs or alcohol.
• Meanwhile we will continue to help the trustees of Hyde Court to fix their internal issues, especially the over-crowding. The Urban Inspector and the Councillor will also be participating on this issue now, and it is seen to be a root cause of much of the problem.
• Romi reported from the CPF that JMPD is installing high-resolution cameras at crime hotspots around Johannesburg, and that 1st Street in Killarney is also on their list. However we don’t know when they will get to us, as they are currently still doing installations in Hillbrow. When it does arrive, it will be mounted to observe and record the behaviour around the taxi rank.
• It was agreed that these high-resolution cameras are probably the best short-term solution to our problems in 1st Street. It was therefore agreed that the NKRA will purchase one such camera ourselves, meeting all the specs of the JMPD, and install it at Daventry Court to resolve the problem at that end of 1st Street. The camera will remain the property of the NKRA, and we can dismount it and move it around the suburb in the future, by installing extra wiring and recorders in alternative buildings. Charles and Dean will do the research, and get quotes for us. We anticipate that the street-parties will increase as the weather warms up.
• It was suggested to compile a list of all the security cameras in all buildings of Killarney-Riviera, along with the contact details of the person responsible for security in each building, to facilitate rapid communication in the event of a crime.
• It was reported that the car-washers in 3rd Street have still not returned – so far so good.
• Sgt Mdlolo can be contacted on 071 675 6000 from now on – the same phone that was previously issued to Captain Moonsamy.
• When you notice a problem developing with a street party or similar, please first call the City emergency hotline on 011 375 5911 and ask the operator to log a call for you. Don’t let them just transfer you to JMPD, make sure they first log a call for you with a reference number. If JMPD don’t thereafter arrive within about 30 minutes, then contact the Councillor with your reference number and ask her to chase JMPD for service.
• Councillor Huggett can be contacted by the community at any time, by SMS or Whatsapp, on 071 785 8068.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• The streetlights are still on permanently in several streets, due to problems with the timer devices which are affected by every power cut.
• The Urban Inspector has been given a full list of all by-law and service-delivery issues in Killarney-Riviera. We are still awaiting feedback.
• Clr Huggett advised that the municipal mandatory recycling project is actually intended to support the trolley-people. If you are not getting your Blue-Bags from PikiTup, please use any other colour bags and make the material available for the trolley-people to collect.
• If you need replacement wheelie-bins, you should call PikiTup and ask for Philemon.
• After an inspection was done of the jacarandas in the park together with the City Parks tree department, City Parks pruned some of the huge lateral branches which were growing dangerously close to the buildings, as well as some of the dead branches which were adding useless weight and endangering the healthy trunks. They also trimmed some pavement trees that were growing too close to buildings. Much more is required, but at least it’s a start.

7. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• The Family Day in the Park will be held on Sunday 28 October. Permission from City Parks has been received. The Mall has offered various types of support, including marketing.
• The event will again be based around a jumping castle for children, and encouraging residents to bring picnics. We are looking for a sponsor for the jumping castle please, otherwise we will pay for it ourselves – they are not expensive.
• It was agreed to get a coffee van as well if possible, even if we have to pay a rental.
• Clr Huggett will assist us to connect with a journalist at the Killarney Gazette.
• Romi volunteered to be the NKRA’s official PR and Marketing executive person, and will start with creating the posters for the Family Day in the Park. Wayne will try to obtain from the Mall the posters they created for us for the event last year. Romi will also look at starting an NKRA Facebook page.
• Dean volunteered that RCS Security will provide security and cleaning services for the event again this year, at no charge. Many thanks to Dean for this valuable contribution.
• Spring is clearly upon us, and the 4th Ave pavement of the Park is looking stunning. The daisies and the nasturtiums are flowering profusely, and the pavement has become quite a tourist attraction. All credit to Ruth who started the project.
• It was suggested that all buildings should make a small effort to colourise their own pavements. Marigolds in particular grow quickly and easily, need little attention, and really only need sunshine to flower in abundance. They beautify any sunny pavement, and they self-seed for future seasons. Packets of marigold seeds are very cheap. It was therefore proposed that every bare sandy pavement space, along a fence or a wall or around a tree, should be planted with marigold seeds if possible. Every little patch of colour makes a disproportionately huge contribution to uplifting the street and the suburb. If you don’t have a suitable space near your building but would like to participate, please would you donate packets of seeds to the NKRA, and we will distribute them to buildings who have suitable spaces.
• The covers over the wiring junctions have been stolen from a number of pavement street-light poles, particularly in 2nd Ave, exposing the electrical wiring to curious children. Wayne has taped temporary plastic covers over five poles to keep small fingers away from the wires, and we will see how the patches last when it starts to rain.
• Charles reported that Daventry Court has started suffering serious water pressure drops at night. If any other building is having these issues, please would you let us know?
• The owner of Martinhall Manor is cutting down his mature trees – nobody is sure why. Clr Huggett will check the rules for killing heritage trees.
• Please report problems of potholes and pavements to the JRA at http://www.jra.org.za/find-and-fix-mobile-app, or call 011 375 5555. Please keep the reference numbers for follow-up.
• Please also use the number 0860 562 874 to report all road and pavement-related problems to the municipality. This includes all cases of rubble being dumped on pavements, potholes in roads or pavements, road signs in need of repair, streetlights not working, blocked storm-drains, or traffic lights out of order. You can also report all of these issues to the call centre hotline number – 080 872 3342. Please keep the reference numbers for follow-up.

8. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Thus far 23 buildings have paid the 2018 subscription.

9. GENERAL
• It was suggested to have a year-end function this year, with some wine-and-biscuits, to improve community networks and perhaps get some fresh ideas. Perhaps we could incorporate this onto the November public meeting.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for hosting us.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 19 SEPTEMBER 2018 at 5pm

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS

JMPD call centre hotline number – 080 872 3342
JMPD Control Room – 011 758 9620
City emergency hotline on 011 375 5911
SAPS patrol van – 071 675 6001
If you get no response from the patrol van, please call 10111
Councillor Huggett – by SMS or Whatsapp – 071 785 8068