The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.
MINUTES 12 JUNE 2008
OF THE NEW KILLARNEY/RIVIERA ASSOCIATION MEETING
HELD AT NIB ON 12 JUNE 2008 AT 18HOO
Wayne Ford (Chairman)
Brent Chalmers (Treasurer)
Clr Ravid (Region 3)
Jenny Chalmers (Secretary)
Inspector Bester – SAPS
Officer Sokani – Metro Police
Daniel Steiner – SCAI
Sonja Oelofse – SCAI
APOLOGIES: Jo Marais (Environment)
WF welcomed everyone to the meeting. Apologies were noted.
2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
The Minutes were taken as read and approved without further amendment.
3. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
Since the last meeting, membership fees have been received from the following member buildings:
The membership fees from the following buildings are still outstanding:
St John’s Wood
It was noted that the financial year is end October and that an audit will take place thereafter.
4. SECURITY FEEDBACK / COMMUNITY SAFETY PROJECT – SCAI
• Inspec Bester reported that the latest crime statistics are not good.
• There have been thefts out of vehicles and car hijackings early in the mornings usually between the hours of 12h00 – 13h00. Street robberies have also increased.
• The SAPS has an unmarked vehicle in the area and extra patrols will take place.
• Insp. B requested that people stop feeding the glue sniffers that hang around Riviera Road. There have been a couple of incidents involving smash and grabs.
• Insp. B also reported on syringes filled with pool acid being sprayed into driver’s eyes and recommended that windows be kept completely closed at all intersections.
• The Wilds intersection has once again become a big problem. The mal-functioning street-lights in this area have been reported.
• Officer Sokani advised the meeting that Metro Police and SAPS will be working in the area in the same vehicle. Officer Sokani is now based at SAPS Hillbrow where any traffic-related matters are dealt with immediately.
• JMPD Officers will be present in Killarney Avenue as often as possible in order to address the problem of vehicles not stopping at the stop signs.
• Officer Sokani mentioned that there is an investigation underway regarding the metered taxis to find out if they’re legal or illegal.
• The problem of jaywalking is being addressed with spot fines of R100-00.
• A Stop and Search operation will be held at The Wilds within the next two weeks.
• WF thanked Officer Sokani as it is believed this extra presence will make a big difference in the area.
• Barry Milner reported that he had a conversation with two of the JMPD Officers and complimented them on their effort in the area.
• Clr R mentioned that Killarney / Riviera are lucky as they have the benefit of Officers from two regions i.e. E and F.
Daniel Steiner reported on the following:
• The initial cashflow needs of the project were underestimated, as a result of which the implementation process has proceeded more slowly than anticipated.
• There has been a problem with panic buttons but SCAI is now ready to go forward.
• Knightsbridge is complete with only the panic buttons outstanding – DS undertook for this to be done the following week. The other buildings will be brought to completion as soon as possible.
• Several more buildings have indicated to SCAI that they are interested in joining.
• WF requested that Lucas get to the original buildings and complete the installations as soon as possible.
• DS reported that SCAI will honour all contracts signed to date. Some of the contacts have been incorrectly completed – Sonja Oelofse of SCAI will be in contact with all buildings in order to get problems addressed. Her cell number is 072 847 8110.
• DS reported that SCAI will accept the withdrawal of any buildings who wish to exit the project due to the slowness of the installation. However he gave the reassurance that the new management are getting on top of the remaining snags.
• SK of Biarritz reported that their members are seriously disillusioned with the project and the lack of progress. Sonja to address Biarritz ASAP.
• It was noted that video footage of crimes can only be used in Court if it is handed to the Police through a specific process so as to maintain the chain of evidence. Affected buildings can request a copy after the police have what they need.
• Sonja to contact Brent Chalmers of Devon Place and Jose of Park Avenue ASAP too.
5. TRAFFIC AND TAXI PROJECT
• Clr R reported that she had spoken to the contractor and that the raising of the pedestrian crossing / speed humps in Killarney Road will take place by the end of the month (June).
• With regard to the turning arrows on the corner of Oxford and Riviera Roads, Clr R reported that the existing cable conduits are too small and that larger ones have now been ordered.
• The extension of the curbing on the offramp from the M1S into Riviera Road has been agreed upon with the engineers – now just waiting for authorisation from JRA.
• It was noted that taxis are avoiding the traffic circle on 4th Street during peak hour by driving down the wrong side of the road. Metro Police were requested to monitor this during peak hour traffic.
• The ablution block in the 4th Street Park has been demolished, and work on the new building is progressing nicely.
• JM has spoken to SK with regard to the vagrant problem in Anerley Road. JM reported that The Mayoral Office passed the problem onto Metro Police. This is a social problem and unfortunately the only solution is for Metro Police to continually confront the vagrants to stop them getting comfortable. Insp. Bester to show Officer Sokani the problem area.
• SK reported that alcohol is stored in the manholes, garbage is accumulating again and the vagrants are sleeping under the bridge at night.
7. MALL CONSTRUCTION PROJECT AND FEEDBACK
• No feedback to date.
• WF to follow up on sign boards with Johannesburg Roads Agency.
• The ablution block is being well maintained by the Parks Department and is open from 07H30 to 17h30. Vagrants are being chased away.
The meeting was closed with thanks to all attendees.
The next meeting will be held on 10 JULY 2008 at 18h00