The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES 10 JULY 2008

MINUTES
OF THE NEW KILLARNEY/RIVIERA ASSOCIATION MEETING
HELD AT NIB ON 10 JULY 2008 AT 18HOO

PRESENT:

Wayne Ford (Chairman)
Brent Chalmers (Treasurer)
Jenny Chalmers (Secretary)
Inspector Bester – SAPS
Faye Susser-Sher
Barry Milner
Dalien Ruitenberg
Rochelle Aarons
Steve Mendelssoh

APOLOGIES:

Jo Marais (Environment)
Clr Ravid (Region 3)
Clr Mohlala (Region 8)
Helene Bell

1. WELCOME
WF welcomed everyone to the meeting. Apologies were noted.

2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
The Minutes of the previous meeting were tabled and the following corrections required:
1. Steve Mendelssohn apologies for the June meeting were not noted.
2. Under Security, Bullet 2 re car jacking – the Minutes should read that car jacking usually takes place early in the mornings “between the hours of 24h00 and 01h00”.

3. SECURITY FEEDBACK / COMMUNITY SAFETY PROJECT – SCAI
• Inspec Bester reported that the latest crime statistics are alarming with 20 cases reported in the last month. These include car jacking, robbery with firearm, theft out of vehicles and one murder in 3rd Street.
• Under cover Policemen are in the area.
• Inspec Bester praised the excellent footage received form the SCAI cameras. A number of arrests have taken place due to this footage.

SCAI
• About half the buildings have been fully completed and are up and running – the panic buttons are all that is outstanding in a few more buildings. Deadlines have been agreed for all outstanding cameras and panic buttons.
• BDC mentioned that Sonja of SCAI had visited Devon Place. Six cameras and the panic buttons are outstanding.
• S Mendelssohn reported that it had taken a number of cancelled appointments before Sonja managed to get to Spinney Close. SM believes the complex is not being monitored and would like a visit to the SCAI Control Room organised. WF to assist.
• FS-S would like Whitehall to be briefed on SCAI. Whitehall’s AGM is on Thursday 17th July 2008 at Adprop.

4. MALL CONSTRUCTION PROJECT AND FEEDBACK
No feedback to date.

5. TRAFFIC AND TAXI PROJECT
• The pedestrian crossing / speed hump has been built but is too steep. There is also a concern regarding water drainage. The JRA has undertaken to contact the Contractor in order to resolve the problem of the sides being too sharp.
• It was noted that the cost of the humps had escalated tremendously over the past couple of months (approximately R60 000-00 per hump) and the installation of the 2nd hump would have to be placed in the next budget.
• WF suggested a more cost effective way may be the construction of a small circle at the south end of Killarney Avenue. It was also suggested that a narrow dividing curb be built down the centre of Killarney Avenue to prevent cars and taxis from driving down the wrong side of the road as well as limit the amount of space for illegal parking. JM to investigate.
• It was noted with great delight that the turning arrows on the corner of Oxford and Riviera Roads are finally operational and the fixing of the pavement is in progress.
• The extension of the curbing on the offramp from the M1S into Riviera Road is still outstanding. JM to investigate progress.
• WF reported on a meeting with Supt Wayne Minnaar at the site of the sink hole in Oxford Road. WF mentioned to Supt Minnaar that there were a number of problems with water undermining the tar in Oxford Road, North Road, Main Road and 8th Avenue. There are also a number of areas where the roads have started sinking.
• FS-S reported a metered taxi operating and parking in 4th Street outside Whitehall. Inspec B to report to Metro Police.

6. ENVIRONMENT
• The ablution block in the 4th Street Park is almost complete and is a vast improvement on the previous one.
• FS-S of Whitehall reported large rats in the Mall’s off loading zone behind the Mall. Inspec B to report to Warren Barrington of the Mall.
• It was requested that Clr R contact the JRA in order to clean up the embankment of the freeway at the bottom of 4th Street. Vagrants were removed from this area by the SAPS but the litter remains.
• 2nd Street has been resurfaced.
• FS-S thanked the meeting for the moving of the fence in 4th Street.

7. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Cheques have been received from Berkeley Square and Glenhof.
• No new members.
• Dukes Court is no longer a member.

8. NEWSLETTER
• WF reported that he had been in contact with Sotheby’s. The last Newsletter has unfortunately been misplaced. Sotheby’s will send out a new Newsletter shortly.

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees.

The next meeting will be held on 13th AUGUST 2008 AT 18H00