The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 21st AUGUST 2013

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 21 AUGUST 2013 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chair); Ruth Kuper; Kayte Denham; Paul Denham; Clr M Ravid (Ward 73); Dalien Rutenberg; Charles Whyte; Harry Rutenberg; Barbara Paxinos; Stan Kaplan; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Jo Marais; Deleen Levy; Nomusa Ramushu; Clare Oakes; Raphael Ndlovu; Trish Terry; Mooki Rapitsi; Denise Rapitsi; Mike Kalk.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Yogan Naidoo; Keith Edmeades; Frank & Audrey Kobrin; Preston Wheatley; Rochelle Aaron; Steve Mendelsohn; Cezanne Samuel; Lesley Buckley.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• It was noted that the Mall has requested us to finish by 6pm. As we are guests here, we will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish on time.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy delivered the crime statistics for the last four weeks, as follows: 1 burglary, 8 shopliftings, 1 house robbery (where an arrest was made), 4 thefts of vehicles and 2 thefts out of vehicles.
• Some buildings are particularly vulnerable to burglars because they were built when burglary was rare, and they have multiple doors, inadequate burglar bars, balconies, unguarded driveway gates and decorative brickwork and ironwork that can be used to climb walls. This is sometimes difficult and expensive to correct. Captain Moonsamy is available by appointment to visit buildings, to help identify problem issues and to advise on corrective action.
• JMPD has been notified about the squatters on the motorway embankment, and has been requested to act on that problem.
• The SAPS will be present at the Centenary Celebration, and will have staff interacting with the community throughout the event.
• The police patrol van number is 071 675 6001. If they don’t answer, please call the sector patrol commander on 011 488 6517, or else call 10111.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Councillor Ravid reported that the street-light service is improving, but asked residents to continue to report all problems, and to get reference numbers.
• JRA has a bigger budget for road repairs this year, so please continue to report potholes and related problems.
• There are still many billing issues, and Councillor Ravid urged members to report these to her in writing.
• Clr Ravid was asked to get clarity on the PikiTup bin audit and billing process, because in Killarney a number of buildings do not have a bin per unit. Wayne will write a letter to Clr Ravid explaining the problems.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• Clr Ravid was asked to request the repainting of the road markings in Riviera Road.
• It was noted that the Gautrain bus often has to stop in the middle of the lane of traffic, because cars are parked in the bus-stop area. It was clarified that proper bus-stops for the Gautrain bus will only be painted on the roads once the routes and the positions of the bus stops are finalised, which will be several months yet.
• It was noted that many of the street names need to be repainted. Charles is trying to get the stencils back from Celeste.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• The Centenary Celebration is gathering momentum!
• A 300 litre Wild Peach tree (Kiggelaria africana) has been ordered – it is indigenous, large, fast-growing, flowering, bird-friendly, frost resistant and drought resistant.
• Kayte Denham of Pam Golding Properties has arranged sponsorship of R2700 from Pam Golding Properties to have the tree delivered and planted – many thanks indeed to Kayte and to PGP!
• The tree will be planted near the western gate (4th Ave end), on the embankment near the big acacia. It’s the sunniest remaining spot, with space to grow, away from fences and walkways and out from under the jacarandas.
• We will arrange for the tree to be delivered the day before, lowered into the hole and correctly positioned. The “planting” ceremony on the day will then be to shovel in the soil, stamp it down and make speeches.
• The newsletter is being used for marketing the event, along with emails.
• Edna has made up a poster, which will be expanded upon as we finalise the program.
• Flyers are being distributed as well by Kayte.
• The Egoli Heritage Foundation are also helping us by publicising this event on their own website.
• Stories will be submitted to the Rosebank-Killarney Gazette.
• Denise will try to get us coverage on Radio 702.
• Pam Golding will provide a few Pole-Ads on the motorway at the Riviera Road on-ramp.
• The organic market will not be involved after all – they all have a conflicting event elsewhere on that date.
• Kayte has sent flyers to the various Mall restaurants, inviting them to participate.
• A braai would be great – Trish will approach Pick ‘n Pay.
• Trish will approach a coffee shop in Craighall re a mobile coffee caravan.
• Electricity has been promised from Sloane Square, but we need to get a number of extension cables for the day.
• The SAPS have committed to set up a table or caravan, and hopefully will also provide some crime-fighting technology demos.
• Councillor Ravid will set up a table, to receive complaints and suggestions from the community.
• We will have a baking competition, to see who can bake the best “centenary muffins”. These can then also be sold to the public. Prizes need to be sourced – perhaps local businesses might be prepared to offer vouchers?
• Kayte is looking into getting sponsors and prizes for a pet-contest, and a fancy-dress contest for the children.
• Daventry Court has agreed to participate in a heritage walk and will allow a visit. Hopefully they will have a plaque ready for unveiling as well. We still need to obtain permission from Whitehall, Mentone and Gleneagles.
• We will unveil a heritage plaque for the TAC at the intersection of 2nd Ave and 5th Street on the day.
• The Killarney Country Club has pledged R2500 of sponsorship toward this event – many thanks to them for this.
• The plaque has been ordered, and the wording is being discussed with Joburg Heritage.
• Hanover Gate has given permission to build a plinth in their garden for this plaque, and has also contributed some sponsorship – many thanks to Edna and her trustees.
• We are hoping to get a representative of the Killarney Country Club, as the oldest resident organisation, to make a speech at the unveiling of the plaque.
• Ward Councillor Ravid is prepared to make a speech and shovel some soil in around the new tree.
• We will also ask the Egoli Heritage Foundation and the Johannesburg Heritage Foundation to send representatives to give speeches and to help shovel in some soil.
• The trees in the 4th Street Park have been pruned. They have not finished the job yet, but already they have made a visible improvement to the appearance of the trees.

9. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Knightsbridge has made a donation of R500 toward the tree-planting – many thanks to the members of Knightsbridge!

10 GENERAL
• Kayte and Paul had a fruitful discussion with Dr Martin, as a first step toward bringing him on board with community efforts and initiatives. They reported that the renovation of Great Martinhall Manor is well advanced.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 18 SEPTEMBER 2013 AT 5PM!!!!

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS