The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 17th JULY 2013

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 17 JULY 2013 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chair); Ruth Kuper; Kayte Denham; Paul Denham; Clr M Ravid (Ward 73); Abe Sher; Robyn Higgins; Rochelle Aaron; Dalien Rutenberg; Charles Whyte; Harry Rutenberg; Barbara Paxos; Bernard Spong; Stan Kaplan; Mary Caganoff; Lesley Buckley; Debbie de Beer; Vivian Darko; Maria Mhlongo.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Yogan Naidoo; Keith Edmeades; Frank & Audrey Kobrin; Preston Wheatley; Barry Hearne; Wynand Ferreira; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS).

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• It was noted that the Mall has requested us to finish by 6pm. As we are guests here, we will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish on time.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy has apologised. [The crime stats were delivered to the chair subsequently: since the last meeting we suffered 3 burglaries, 2 common assaults, 1 fraud, 1 house robbery, 1 malicious damage to property, 6 common theft, and 2 thefts out of vehicles.]
• An affordable security initiative is being considered whereby small groups of neighbouring buildings jointly hire a foot-patroller, to patrol the streets and pavements between their buildings, backed up by the standard armed response service of that particular security company. This will cost about R16,000 per month for a 24/7 guard, and the guard can then be stationed so that only the buildings who are paying for the service will get the service. A meeting will be held soon to evaluate a possible pilot project in 3rd Street.
• The police patrol van number is 071 675 6001. If they don’t answer, please call the sector patrol commander on 011 488 6517, or else call 10111.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Councillor Ravid reported that a meeting was held with the Gautrain management to discuss fine-tuning their bus route through Killarney. They listened to our concerns and undertook to consider running the bus down Riviera Road instead of along 3rd Street. However they have to do a survey first, as well as consult the JRA, so we cannot expect a decision in the short term. Clr Ravid will pursue feedback on this matter for us.
• Property owners who are over 60 years of age qualify for a 50% rates rebate under certain conditions. Property owners who are over 70 years of age qualify for a 100% rates rebate if the property is worth less than R2 million. Clr Ravid will get us electronic copies of the application forms, but meanwhile they are available at the Killarney Library.
• If you suffer damage from a power surge, your insurance company can claim it back from the City Power insurance company.
• It was noted that there are a number of illegal wattle trees on the pavement in Riviera Road, outside the golf course near the motorway on-ramp. Clr Ravid was requested to pursue City Parks to attend to these trees.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• Most of our road markings have been repainted, including the speed-humps.
• The traffic islands however need urgent repainting to improve visibility. The island in Riviera Road outside the mall is especially dangerous in the dark.
• A water pipe repair in 9th Street has never been properly finished. It is now deteriorating steadily, and is a hazard to cars and pedestrians.
• Water is once again leaking from under the pipe repairs in Riviera Road, between 2nd Ave and 4th Ave.
• A petition has been circulated asking for better by-law enforcement, particularly around the illegal taxi rank. Please could these be returned to Kayte as soon as possible, so that we can submit them. We need at least 1000 signatures to stand any chance, and we are still far short of that number.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• The Centenary Project is on-going. We have discussed with City Parks the option to replace a fallen tree in the park with a new jacaranda, but they are adamantly opposed to planting any further exotic trees in the park. Their logic is not accepted by all, but they are the custodians of the park, so we need to consider Plan B. Our local heritage experts are determined that we should fight to preserve the avenue of jacarandas, even if it takes much longer than the rest of this year. However we would very much like to plant a symbolic tree in September of this year, of whatever acceptable species. It was therefore agreed that if necessary we will plant a non-jacaranda tree elsewhere in the park at the centenary celebration, and that separately we will continue to fight for a replacement jacaranda to maintain the avenue, however long this takes.
• Kayte Denham has a number of acacia trees available for planting – please let us know if you are willing to adopt an acacia tree.
• Robyn will investigate creating a facebook page for the Killarney-Riviera Centenary, and will research sourcing a bag-piper for the tree-planting ceremony.
• We need to get finality on the blue-plaques to be unveiled this year, as it would be nice to unveil one on Heritage Day as well. Clr Ravid will discuss with the management of Killarney Country Club the possibility of their being actively involved in commemorating the site of the original TAC club in 2nd Ave.
• The litter in 7th Street, and on the motorway embankment, is worse than ever. Clr Myeki has been asked to address this for us, but with the PikiTup strike actions, little has been done so far. Clr Ravid was asked to assist here as well.
• New sponsored rubbish bins on pavements are welcome, but they must be placed so as to not block pedestrians, obstruct drivers’ vision or cause problems for the buildings in the vicinity. The new bin that materialised in 4th Ave cnr 3rd Street will be repositioned soon. We also need a new bin in Riviera Road, outside Martindale Mews, if anybody has the budget to sponsor this please?
• We congratulate Killarney Court on the magnificent new flower beds they have created on their pavement in 1st Street. This enhancement greatly uplifts the entire vicinity.
• We note that, after years of lobbying, the Lhenveolan building at the intersection of 1st Street and 4th Ave has finally started a repainting project. This will hugely improve the general vicinity as well.
• We thank the management of Splice, for clearing the weeds on the pavement and gutters in Riviera Road outside Allegria – this contribution is greatly appreciated.
• We thank the management of Sloane Square, for clearing the weeds on the traffic island in 4th Ave and the corner of 3rd Street – this contribution is greatly appreciated also.
• The two water repairs on the Killarney Court pavement in 4th Ave, between Riviera Road and 1st Street, have still not been repaved. [One of them was subsequently repaved on Friday, although the rubble was not removed, but the other area was not repaved].

9. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Killarney Wilds has joined the NKRA as a contributing member. Welcome Aboard!

10. GENERAL
• It was noted that some buildings have allowed overcrowding in their staff quarters on the top floors. This is inhumane as well as illegal. Although homeless people would rather live in overcrowded rooms than out on the street, property owners and trustees have legal obligations here, and guilty owners and trustees can be fined if caught. Please could all buildings who have staff quarters check from time to time that the municipal by-laws on overcrowding are being complied with in their buildings.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 21 AUGUST 2013 AT 5PM!!!!

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS