The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 9 SEPTEMBER 2009

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES ON 9 SEPTEMBER 2009 AT 18H00

 

 

PRESENT:                   Wayne Ford (Chairman)

Brent Chalmers (Devon Place)

Jo Marais (Barkley Square)

Steve Mendelsohn (Spinney Close)

Clr M Ravid

Clr Mohlala

Hein Dyer (Killarney Mall)

Rob Milne (Killarney Park)

Billy Joubert (Biarritz)

Alan Lewis (Rapallo)

Mr & Mrs Kobrin (St John’s Wood)

Rochelle Aarons (Glenhof)

Dalien Ruitenberg (Glenhof)

Debbie de Beer (Dumbarton Oaks)

Liora Kloss (Killarney Wilds)

Jantjie September (Wesco)

 

1.         WELCOME

WF welcomed everyone to the meeting, and thanked the Mall for the use of their premises.

 

2.         APOLOGIES

Inspector Bester (SAPS), Ashraf Patel, Jacques Stoltz

 

3.         APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and approved. They must be amended to reflect an apology from Dalien Ruitenberg of Glenhof.

 

4.         OFFICE BEARERS

Steve Mendelsohn of Spinney Close is taking over from BC as Treasurer.

Liora Kloss of Killarney Wilds offered to assist with secretarial work.

 

5.         SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

  • Inspector B was not able to attend, so no crime statistics were available.
  • It was reported by HD that 5 armed robbers had been arrested alongside the Mall while in the process of preparing an armed robbery. Our heartiest congratulations to the SAPS!
  • JMPD was not in attendance, as usual.
  • It was reported that the Gauteng Department of Community Safety is unhappy with the NKRA performing the role of Sector Policing Forum for Killarney-Riviera, as this does not meet the detailed requirements of their regulations. It has therefore been agreed at the CPF meeting that the provincial officials will hold elections to elect a fresh SCF, and that the NKRA will liaise with that forum once it exists.
  • It was reported that the concrete security fence between the motorway and 7th St has not yet been repaired, which is holding up the security-fencing of the bridges. BC will request the contractor to quote on temporarily fixing the fence ourselves.
  • The fence between the Temple Emanuel and the insurance company also needs fixing – Clr R and Clr M to liaise with the Temple re assistance with funding. The Temple was previously happy to participate with this project, and their contact person was Simon Hochschild on 0823725504.
  • Clr R will continue to liaise with JMPD re the footbridge under the overpass, where vagrants live and robbers flee.
  • LK reported that the taxis and hawkers in 7th St are getting really bad again. Another blitz was requested on illegal hawkers and car-washing. It was noted that the public toilets are still being locked every night.
  • Members are urged to call the Council on 0113755555 or 0118860757 or 0113768514 to report potholes, vagrants, hawkers, litter and every other issue.

 

6.         BRT – BUS RAPID TRANSPORT

  • The BRT in Sector 6 is now officially on hold until late in 2010.
  • The NKRA has registered as an interested party in this process, and must therefore be advised when the process resumes.
  • The Action Group will continue to liaise with the necessary officials to ensure our residents are kept informed of developments.
  • This item will therefore be removed from the agenda until the project is revived.

 

7.         TRAFFIC ISSUES

  • Since we are allowed to build traffic calming measures ourselves, JM is trying to arrange site meetings with the various relevant engineers to initiate the process.
  • It was noted that the JRA asphalt production plant has been out of action for weeks, causing delays in road repairs.
  • Construction holes in 9th St are deteriorating to a dangerous depth. 5th St is deteriorating badly as well. Clr R and Clr M will both put in an urgent request for action.

 

8.         ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

  • JM and WF will be meeting PikiTup management on site to discuss remedial measures, after which the sweeper project will be reviewed.
  • We will also press for extra dustbins for the side-roads near the Mall.
  • JM will contact the storm-water drains department to request a thorough cleaning before the spring rains start in earnest.
  • It was reported that the Council have messed up the release of the servitude over the land belonging to Barkley Square, and that the process will have to be restarted.

 

9.         NEWSLETTER AND WEBSITE

·         The NKRA website is now being managed by Jacque Stoltz.

·         Please send all news items and potential articles to WF at wdford@global.co.za

 

 

10.       FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

  • There have been no expenditures since last month.
  • It was unanimously agreed that Steve Mendelsohn will take over the Treasurer role from Brent, and that Steve and Wayne will be the new signatories.
  • Brent will hand over at their earliest mutual convenience.
  • BC, SM and WF will meet separately to create the new signatories for the bank accounts.

 

9.         GENERAL

  • The lawsuits from SCAI were discussed. It was agreed that a joint effort by the few buildings concerned would be advantageous. A separate meeting will be called for the affected buildings only, to discuss the way forward.

 

 

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees.

 

The next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 14 OCTOBER 2009 AT 18H00