The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES OF THE NKRA MEETING 27 NOVEMBER 2008

MINUTES
OF THE NEW KILLARNEY/RIVIERA ASSOCIATION MEETING
HELD AT NIB ON 27 NOVEMBER 2008 AT 18HOO

PRESENT:        Wayne Ford (Chairman)
Jo Marais
Jenny Chalmers
Leo Schwartz
Dave Locke
Steve Mendelssohn
Barry Milner
Helene Bell
Rochelle Aarons
Dalien Ruitenberg
Joanne Frank
Mike Onay – SCAI

APOLOGIES:        Clr M Ravid
Brent Chalmers
Clr Mohlala
Inspector Bester

1.     WELCOME
WF welcomed everyone to the meeting.   Apologies were noted.

2.     MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read and approved without further amendment.

3.    SECURITY FEEDBACK / COMMUNITY SAFETY PROJECT – SCAI
•    Unfortunately the detailed Crime Stats for last month were not available as Inspector Bester was unable to attend the meeting.
•    On Inspec B’s behalf WF reported that the area is stable at present.  Inspector B has reiterated that people should be aware and careful about their keys, passwords, and valuables on display in their cars.
•    Patrols are being done regularly, especially at night, and these patrols will be increased over the holiday season.

SCAI
•    WF reported on a meeting he and BDC had had with SCAI.
•    Unfortunately the previous CEO had oversold the SCAI service, and had contracted to deliver certain items which are not possible to deliver for the prices quoted.
•    Although most of the service is already present, because a few items are not yet available a number of buildings have not yet started paying.  While they are legally within their rights to do so, this has a negative effect on SCAI’s ability to deliver the service, particularly the response team which is outsourced and which demands regular payment in order to operate.
•    We therefore need to either amend the contract slightly or abandon the project.
•    The required amendments will include:

a)    The contract specifies a 4×4 vehicle for the response team, but the costs are unaffordable, whereas a slightly smaller vehicle would be as functional and much more cost effective re purchase price, maintenance. Fuel and insurance.
b)    Having a UPS System on every camera is technically very difficult and would be extremely expensive.
c)    Having the response people carry non-lethal weapons and undergo first aid training is one again too expensive and not manageable.
d)    Providing and maintaining access control at every building is technically possible but in practice not manageable on this scale.

•    The standard Contract will be amended in discussion with the steering committee and all member Buildings will be visited and the Contract renegotiated.  Those Buildings that are not happy with the new terms can withdraw from the project.
•    The SAPS are pressing all suburbs to implement foot patrols, as this is one of the most effective ways of deterring crime.  This has already worked very well in Hillbrow, Berea and Joubert Park.  SCAI will provide security guards on foot patrols in Killarney and Riviera for the holiday season as an experiment.  SCAI will also add a guard on a motorcycle, in addition to the existing vehicle, to provide a better service through the rush-hour congestion caused by the Oxford Road operations.
•    The individuals on foot patrol will be made aware of vagrants in the area and will alert SCAI to any other potential problems.
•    Police Reservists will be in the Control Room in the future – this is of enormous value as they are authorised to make arrests if need be.
•    SCAI will also implement an SMS Service linked to their Control Room.  This will enable residents of member buildings (especially the elderly) to contact the Control Room if in difficulty or if they note any issue of concern
•    SM remarked that the cameras and the Control Room are impressive but that SCAI should be more proactive.  The foot patrols and the extra motorcycle should enable the service to be much more proactive in future.
•    JF advised the meeting of an unpleasant incident at Mentone Court during which the Panic Button was activated with no result.  Mike advised the meeting of transitional problems with the response service due to lack of payment and a number of false alarms, but it was agreed that the response service is a priority.  Once the project is fully active the adequacy of the response service will be a high priority for the steering committee.
•    SM believes Mike and Sonja have made enormous progress since taking over SCAI and that buildings in Killarney and Riviera should move ahead positively.
•    A revised Contract will be circulated ASAP for comment and feedback and residents are requested to do this as quickly as possible in order to get the service operating effectively and efficiently before the holiday season.

4.    MALL CONSTRUCTION PROJECT AND FEEDBACK
•    We have discovered that the Killarney Mall is owned by Octodec Invesmtents in Pretoria, which in turn is owned by the Wapnick family.  Clr R will liaise with Octodec directly on matters of the taxi rank and the rodent infestation etc as it is hoped that being represented by our Councillor will have more effect.

5.    TRAFFIC AND TAXI PROJECT
•    Gautrain are drilling for core samples in the road on the corner of the Ronnie Frank Park – this is temporary but is causing serious congestion at the circle.
•    Taxis continue to be a problem – JM to once again address the M1 off ramp issue as well as contact Clr M and officials regarding the lengthening of the island across the bridge to the traffic circle on 4 Ave.

6.    ENVIRONMENT
•    The Ronnie Frank Park fence has been repaired – thanks to Brent for this effort.
•    JLC reported on BDC’s meeting with the fencing company and the quote of R23 802-00 to fence off the two bridges.  BDC met with Frank Peachy of Wesco and will approach other companies in the area for sponsorship.  WF to address way forward with BDC.
•    WF has been in contact with Temple Emmanuel who would like to sort out fencing in their environment too.
•    JM has been in contact with Mr Hannie Niehaus regarding more bins in the area.  Mr Niehaus has asked for the number of bins and streets to be identified – he will then deal with the contractor.  WF to advise.
•    It was noted that bins obtained by the NKRA will not be cleared as they are not ‘official’ although another Piki Tup official has promised that they would be tended to.
•    The suggestion of a once a month contractor clearing the pavements of rubble was discussed – JM believes this is a Council problem and must be addressed accordingly.  JM to organise a site inspection.

7.    FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
•    Whitehall have joined and will pay in the New Year.
•    Monviso have paid.
•    The expenditures for the month are as follows:
o    R2 394-00 for the fence repair to the Ronnie Frank Park
o    R1 000-00 donation to the family of murdered Police Inspector van Tonder.

8.    GENERAL
•    It was noted that Devon Place did not receive the last Newsletter.  WF informed the meeting that Lew Geffin no longer trade in the area and that a new sponsor for the Newsletter will have to be found.
•    The meeting expressed their sincere wishes for a speedy recovery for Ronnie Frank.

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees.

The next meeting will be held on

THURSDAY 22 JANUARY 2009 AT 18H00