The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 12 AUGUST 2009

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY / RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES ON WEDNESDAY 12 AUGUST 2009

 

 

PRESENT:                   Wayne Ford (Chairman)

Inspector Bester (SAPS)

Brent Chalmers (Devon Place)

Jo Marais (Barkley Square)

Jacques Stoltz (Gleneagles)

Steve Mendelsohn (Spinney Close)

Hein Dyer (Killarney Mall)

Rob Milne (Killarney Park)

Faye Susser-Sher

Yogan Naidoo (Dukes Court)

Clr M Ravid

Billy Joubert (Biarritz)

Leo Schwartz (Brenthurst)

 

1.         WELCOME

WF welcomed everyone to the meeting, and thanked the Mall for the use of their premises.

 

2.         APOLOGIES

Dalien Ruitenberg (Glenhof)

 

3.         APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and approved.

 

4.         SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

  • Inspector B reported that 15 serious crimes had taken place in Killarney since the last meeting. 7 vehicles were stolen, there were 4 “smash & grab” cases, 2 burglaries, 2 robbery-with-firearms, 3 people were arrested for firearm offences, and there were 2 armed robberies in the Mall. SAPS are increasing their presence in the Sector.
  • JMPD was not in attendance, as usual.
  • It was reported that the concrete security fence between the motorway and 7th St needs further repairs, due to damage by vagrants.
  • The Freeway Fence project is being further delayed by this damage. Repair contractors are standing by, and this work will commence as soon as the security fence has been repaired completely.
  • Clr R to meet the motorway department re securing the manholes on the bridges.
  • It was requested that the SAPS and JMPD maintain pressure on the various groups of vagrants and drinkers that are becoming established in the area, and that alcohol be confiscated more frequently.
  • Visible policing is also needed in the public parks, especially on weekends.
  • Another blitz was requested on illegal hawkers.

 

 

5.         BRT – BUS RAPID TRANSPORT

  • Unofficially, the BRT in Sector 6 is on hold until 2011. The Action Group is still trying to obtain official confirmation of this.
  • We are still waiting for the Environmental Assessment Report.
  • The Action Group is continuing to pursue the Council for formal responses to our inputs.
  • The issue of feeder routes through the suburbs remains a particular problem.
  • The NKRA has registered as an interested party in the process of environmental development around the Gautrain stations.
  • Jacques was thanked for his on-going time and commitment on this project.

 

6.         TRAFFIC ISSUES

  • JM is trying to arrange site meetings with the various relevant engineers, to initiate discussions on traffic calming initiatives and road repairs.
  • Apparently we are allowed to build legal traffic calming measures, provided we pay for them. Engineering opinions need to be obtained, and then quotations will be sought.
  • Construction holes in 9th St are deteriorating to a dangerous depth. 5th St is deteriorating badly as well. Clr R will put in an urgent request for action.

 

7.         ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

  • PikiTup management will be requested to perform a detailed clean-up, after which the WMP sweeper will be initiated.
  • We continue to seek extra dustbins for the side-roads near the Mall.
  • WMP have expressed interest in sponsoring a garden competition. The meeting agreed to proceed with this project. WF to discuss the technical details with garden experts.

 

8.         FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

  • There have been no significant expenses – just payment for the use of the Museum meeting venue.
  • Steve Mendelsohn has agreed to take over the Treasurer role, and Steve and Wayne will be the new signatories.
  • Brent will hand over at their earliest mutual convenience.

 

9.         GENERAL

  • Barkley Square is looking to hire a full-time caretaker. Please contact Jo Marais.
  • Jazz on the Lake has been moved to Mary Fitzgerald Square.
  • Some buildings are in contravention of the building maintenance by-laws, but these by-laws are difficult to enforce.
  • There is no objection to the route of the Old Ed’s footrace passing through Killarney.

 

 

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees.

 

The next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 9 SEPTEMBER 2009 AT 18H00