The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES OF THE FEBRUARY 2009 MEETING

MINUTES
OF THE NEW KILLARNEY/RIVIERA ASSOCIATION MEETING
HELD AT NIB ON 18 FEBRUARY 2009 AT 18HOO

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chairman)
Brent Chalmers (Treasurer)
Jenny Chalmers (Secretary)
Captain Makgamatha (SAPS)
Inspector Malope (SAPS)
Mpo Makhubela (Metro Police)
Constable Setsiba (SAPS)
Dave Locke (Whitehall)
Rochelle Aarons (Glenhof)
Dalien Ruitenberg (Glenhof)

APOLOGIES: Clr M Ravid
Jo Marais (Environment)
Jacques Stoltz (Gleneagles)

1. WELCOME
WF welcomed everyone to the meeting with a special welcome to Captain Makgamatha, who is the commander of Sector Policing at Hillbrow Police Station and who is attending our meeting for the first time.
Apologies were noted. It was also noted with regret that turn-out was unusually poor, probably due to the late change in the date of the meeting.
It was agreed that for 2009, the meetings will be held on the second Wednesday of every month, as committee members were experiencing regular diary conflicts on Thursdays.

2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved without further amendment.

3. SECURITY FEEDBACK / COMMUNITY SAFETY PROJECT – SCAI
• A formal Crime Statistic Report will be available from March 2009.
• Inspector M reported on two thefts of vehicles from the Mall and believes the Mall should investigate installing spikes or a double boom as in The Zone Rosebank, to prevent tail gating by car thieves.
• Cnr Newton and Houghton Drive is still a problem with theft out of motor vehicles (smash and grab).
• Inspec M reported that he had been to Aromas to discuss their armed robberies, and had also spoken to Mantis Security. The latest incident occurred while Mantis Security staff were on duty in the vicinity. Inspec M will discuss the security problems with the Mall.
• Insp M requested AF’s presence at a meeting with the Mall. WF requested that this take place on a Monday or Tuesday. Insp M to arrange.
• WF requested that Metro Police move the illegally parked Taxis from Killarney Ave.
• The semi abandoned car (pale blue Ford Sierra HLZ 996 GP) on the corner of 1st Street and 2nd Avenue is still there. WF reported that the wheels have been removed so a flat bed truck will be needed. Metro Police will assist.
• Littering, illegal parking, car washing and abuse of stop signs are continuing problems around the Mall. WF requested Metro Police keep a check on the area.

SCAI
• The Contract is in the process of being renegotiated and should be ready soon.
• Glenhof and Killarney Manor are attempting to join – WF advised that their participation will be delayed a few more weeks until the Contract is finalised.
• Chartwell have given SCAI notice and SCAI will thus be moving to other premises.

4. MALL CONSTRUCTION PROJECT AND FEEDBACK
• Unfortunately Clr R is away. The meeting anticipates feedback at the next meeting.

5. TRAFFIC AND TAXI PROJECT
• WF reported on Alex taxis taking a short cut off Riviera Road through the petrol station and performing illegal U turns in Killarney Ave, dangerously close to the traffic light. It is believed it is just a matter of time before there is a serious accident. Metro Police to investigate
• The outstanding traffic projects are the lengthening of the island across the bridge to the traffic circle on 4th Avenue, the cats-eyes on the island in Riviera Road and the M1 off-ramp issue onto Riviera Road.
• It was agreed to submit the following suggestions to the Council:

a. The traffic lights on Riviera Road, cnr Main Road and 4th Ave, cause grid-lock in rush hour, and the rest of the time they are not needed. Perhaps these could be replaced with a 4-way stop.

b. A pedestrian crossing is needed in Main Road, as there is much pedestrian traffic for the Shul and the motor traffic volumes are increasing. Hopefully this could be installed over a speed-hump to provide better protection to pedestrians.

c. A 4-way stop or circle was suggested for 3rd Street and 4th Avenue in Killarney – this is a dangerous intersection with poor visibility and traffic feeding into 4th Avenue from 3rd Street is heavy.

d. A 4-way stop or circle was also suggested in Main Road corner North Road. Once again this road carries a lot of traffic and a 4-way stop or circle will improve safety for residents.

6. ENVIRONMENT
• Vagrants are a continuing problem on 7th Street and 4th Avenue and 7th Street and Annerley Road as well as on the embankments around the two bridges over the M1. Enormous amounts of garbage are accumulating – Metro Police to please liaise with Piki Tup.
• WF reported on many vagrant related problems in this area with numerous Bye-Laws being broken routinely. Metro Police to investigate.
• It was reported that the manhole covers on Annerley Road are being lifted and trolleys, clothing, alcohol and other goods are being stored in the manhole. It is believed that people are sleeping in the manholes too. PPS have offered to pay for a solution to this problem – SAPS and Metro Police to investigate.
• WF reported on his efforts to clean up Killarney and Riviera of rocks, bricks and branches. Two bakkie loads of rubble were removed and it was agreed that this project needs to be done on ongoing basis. Wendy Mechanik Properties contributed R700-00 towards this project.
• Wendy Mechanik Properties have agreed to contribute R1 000-00 per month to the NKRA to subsidize a sweeper. The NKRA will buy all the necessary cleaning equipment and wheelie bin and will recruit and supervise the individual.
• The NKRA expressed their sincere thanks to Wendy Mechanik and Nomsa Nene for this subsidy.
• The NKRA now need to find a person prepared to do this work. Please contact WF if you know of a person who might be prepared to undertake the task.
• Extra rubbish bins are still required – Clr R to please continue lobbying Piki Tup.

7. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Two new members have joined the NKRA – Hampshire Mews and Killarney Manor.
• All invoices have been sent out.

8. GENERAL
• The fencing off of the access areas to the embankments was discussed. BDC reported that this will commence as soon as the money from the sponsors has been received.
• WF asked if two steel palisades could replace the two concrete ones that have been broken and removed. BDC to enquire.
• WF advised the meeting that Wendy Mechanik Properties are also taking over the sponsorship of the Newsletter. He requested content from the meeting as well as any public communication from the SAPS and Metro Police.
• The AGM will take place as soon as the accounts have been audited.
• The problem of noise from the Shul was reported to the Police. Metro Police were provided with the address of the Shul and will investigate further.

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees.

The next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 11TH MARCH 2009 AT 18H00