The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 10TH JUNE 2009

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
OF THE NEW KILLARNEY/RIVIERA ASSOCIATION HELD AT THE MILITARY MUSEUM ON WEDNESDAY 10TH JUNE 2009 AT 18HOO

PRESENT:        Wayne Ford (Chairman)
Brent Chalmers (Treasurer)
Jenny Chalmers (Secretary)
Jo Marais (Environment)
Clr M Ravid
Clr N Mohlala
Jacques Stoltz (Gleneagles)
Stan Stein (Knightsbridge)
Doug Locke (Whitehall)
David Kramer (Chartwell)
Steve Mendelssohn (Spinney Close)
Inspector Bester (SAPS)
Hein Dyer (Killarney Mall)
Doug Locke (Whitehall)
Mantis Security – Area Manager

APOLOGIES:    Ashraf Patel (Hampshire Mews)
Alan Lewis (Rapallo)
Leo Schwartz (Brenthurst)
Rochelle Aarons (Glenhof)
Dalien Ruitenberg (Glenhof)

1.     WELCOME
WF welcomed everyone to the meeting, and thanked them for making the effort on such a miserably cold and wet evening.

2.    APOLOGIES
Apologies were noted.

3.     MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and approved without further amendment.

4.    SECURITY FEEDBACK / COMMUNITY SAFETY PROJECT – SCAI
•    The meeting was delighted to note that Inspector Bester has been reassigned to the area and will be the dedicated SAPS representative in Killarney and Riviera. Insp. Malope and Constable Setsiba were thanked in absentia for their service.
•    Inspector B reported that the main crime problem in the Killarney area is not vehicle hi-jacking, but rather theft of vehicles and theft out of vehicles, particularly vehicles parked outside in the road.
•    An arrest took place today due to theft out of a vehicle.
•    Inspector B will continue to move beggars and vagrants, and has requested Metro Police assistance in this regard.
•    It was noted that Metro Police had failed to attend the NKRA meeting – Inspector B will again raise the issue at their police liaison meeting.
•    It was noted that the SCAI project is being addressed on a building-by-building basis.
•    Mantis Security, who provide security services to the Mall, also indicated an intention to expand their services into the residential community in the near future.

5.    PRESENTATION OF THE COMMITTEE’S REPORT
•    WF read out the Committee’s Report. (Attached).
•    It was agreed that much had been achieved and that the NKRA had once again contributed positively to the area.
•    WF thanked the Ward Councillors and the SAPS for their continued hard work in the area and presented Brent and Jenny Chalmers with a farewell gift on behalf of the NKRA.
•    The continuing problem of vagrants was discussed. Clr M once again confirmed that there is no permanent solution – there are shelters available but these individuals do not want to abide by their rules and regulations and prefer to live on the street.
•    Mantis Security advised the meeting that Sandringham had had a similar problem at the Jabula Recreation Centre. The local residents started a programme for the homeless including a soup kitchen, activities such as bead work which is subsequently sold, and transport for these people to be taken to a hostel in Jeppe. It was agreed that such interventions are only effective if the homeless people are prepared to participate.
•    It was noted that the problem individuals in Killarney are not only homeless but are also ‘Scavengers’ who are blatantly breaking the law, are aware that they are doing so and don’t seem to care. Furthermore Metro Police are seemingly doing nothing about it.
•    It was agreed that there is an urgent need to remove the recycling team and the hawkers and the car-washers who have established themselves opposite the Ronnie Frank Park, in the small parking area. Inspector B reported that there are plans to move them.
•    The palisade fence on the highway has been repaired by the Council, and much garbage has been removed but it was noted that the illegal ‘fire place’ remains. More cleaning is needed on that embankment, on both sides of the motorway. Clr R to please assist.
•    SM thanked WF for all his hard work and it was noted that without his continued efforts the NKRA would cease to exist.

6.    PRESENTATION OF THE FINANCIAL REPORT
•    BDC presented the financial statements.  (Attached)
•    BDC advised the meeting that there has never been an increase in Unit costs and it was agreed that this should remain at R30-00 per Unit per year with a maximum amount per building of R2 000-00.
•    The number of member buildings has increased positively and this has resulted in a healthy balance sheet.
•    Approximately R20 900-00 has been put aside for the fencing of the bridges to prevent the homeless from sleeping on the embankments. This has already been funded by specific donations from local businesses who are directly affected by the problem.
•    R3 394-00 was used to repair the Ronnie Frank Park fence and there were some legal fees relating to the SCAI Project.
•    BDC believes this portfolio should be broken down into the following components:
1.    Membership / Marketing
2.    Finance – running the Money Market and Current Accounts.
3.    Bookkeeper / Accountant
4.    Website – this should be updated regularly to keep it ‘alive’.

7.    ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS
•    Clr Ravid thanked all past Office Bearers for their commitment and dedication. The NKRA is of enormous help to Councillors and makes their jobs a little easier.
•    Jacques Stoltz offered to take over the Membership-Marketing portfolio, together with the BRT liaison.
•    Jo Marais recommitted to Environment and Traffic.
•    Marion Wheater offered to take over the role of Secretary.
•    Steve Mendelssohn offered to oversee the banking and financial function in a non-official capacity, until such time as someone else could be found to handle it.
•    Wayne Ford recommitted to the role of Chairman.
•    Wayne Ford was elected to continue representing the NKRA at the CPF.

6.    TRAFFIC AND TAXI PROJECT
•    The meeting agreed that the various traffic calming measures suggested in the May Minutes be proposed to Council as soon as the new budget is in operation, i.e. 1 July 2009.  This is especially important in light of the projected BRT route.

7.    BRT – BUS RAPID TRANSPORT
•    Jacques Scholtz, the NKRA BRT representative, reported as follows:
a)    Not much has happened recently.
b)    Parktown has become much more aggressive and is opposing the BRT in any form as 3 BRT routes will intersect in Parktown.
c)    There has been no expenditure or legal fees to date.
d)    The focus at the moment is on Press Releases voicing residents concerns, and keeping residents informed.
e)    The Council at present faces bigger problems from the Taxi Associations than from the Residents Associations.
f)    JS will continue to provide feedback when it arises.

8.    ENVIRONMENT
•    JM reported on a conversation with the Piki Tup Project Manager, Mr Tree regarding a Wheelie Bin.  Mr Tree advised that Council will provide a Wheelie Bin but that he would prefer to get his team in first to clean up the area.  This was to happen today, 10th June 2009, but was cancelled due to rain.
•    Mr Tree is amenable to help in the area which is very positive.
•    Hein Dyer (Killarney Mall) offered to donate a Wheelie Bin to the NKRA and advised the meeting that the refuse collected could be dumped in the Killarney Mall dumpsters at the back of Pick n Pay.
•    Mantis Security advised the meeting that an Advocate in the area would like to spear-head the removal of the ‘illegal’ taxi rank opposite Aromas – his son was attacked in this area.  It was agreed that WF would be put in contact with the Advocate.
•    Extra rubbish bins have been installed in Killarney Ave – the meeting thanked Clr R for her efforts in this regard.
•    The meeting agreed that BDC go ahead with initiating the fencing of the bridges.

9.    GENERAL
•    It was noted that Confederation Cup matches at Ellis Park will be held on the 14th, 18th 20th 25th and 27th June.  This should not affect Killarney directly as the closures will be south of Joe Slovo Drive and Abel Road.  The closest Park & Ride is at Wits University.
•    Hein Dyer of the Mall reported that the system of ‘Pay on Foot’ is to be introduced in the Mall.  It is hoped this will reduce the congestion of traffic leaving the Mall.
•    The Mall is considering introducing spikes at the exits to eliminate tail-gating by car-thieves, but these are costly at R40 000-00 per lane.
•    Mantis Security reported that a syndicate is believed to be behind the theft of cars.
•    Booms reinforced with concrete are also a cost-effective option, as in Rosebank and elsewhere.

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees.

THE NEXT MEETING WILL BE HELD ON
WEDNESDAY 8TH JULY 2009.