The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES OF THE NKRA MEETING 23 OCTOBER 2008

MINUTES
OF THE NEW KILLARNEY/RIVIERA ASSOCIATION MEETING
HELD AT NIB ON 23 OCTOBER 2008 AT 18HOO

PRESENT:

Wayne Ford (Chairman)
Brent Chalmers
Jenny Chalmers
Clr Mohlala
Inspector Bester
Leo Schwartz
Jacques Stoltz – Gleneagles
Dave Locke – Whitehall
Steve Mendelssohn

APOLOGIES:

Clr M Ravid
Jo Marais
Barry Milner

1.     WELCOME
WF welcomed everyone to the meeting.   Apologies were noted.

2.     MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read and approved without further amendment.

3.    SECURITY FEEDBACK / COMMUNITY SAFETY PROJECT – SCAI
•    Unfortunately the Crime Stats for last month were not available in time.  However Inspec Bester reported a major problem of theft out of vehicles (smash and grab). In addition 3 vehicles were stolen during the month.
•    Cnr Houghton Drive and Newton Road is a problem spot for theft out of vehicles – Inspector B has requested SCAI to place a camera on this corner.
•    Inspector Bester once again requested people not to display valuables in their cars.
•    SM reported that there had been an attempt to steal his bakkie in Main Road and asked if SCAI had managed to record it. WF to put in a request for information from SCAI.
•    DL of Whitehall reported that two suspicious individuals, in a mustard coloured BMW with no number plates, regularly park outside Whitehall Court.  Today, 23 October 2008, these same two individuals were in a red Volkswagen.  Inspector Bester to investigate.
•    A number of people have been arrested in The Mall for drug dealing.
•    Inspector Bester believes Security Guards in all buildings should be monitored and that it is up to buildings to manage their service providers.
•    Excellent video footage has been obtained from SCAI with regard to the theft of vehicles and criminal activity at Berkeley Square.

SCAI
•    Sonja of SCAI believes the technical problem at Spinney Close has been corrected.
•    Hanover Gate is interested in joining the project.  Gleneagles are still investigating.
•    A visit to the Control room has been requested by several buildings – WF to set this up.
•    It was noted that SCAI has yet to catch someone committing a crime and the meeting noted that the purpose of SCAI should be to intercept a crime not to only provide video footage after the event.  If a panic button is activated, SCAI should send out a vehicle.
•    SCAI must be proactive.  WF to discuss this with SCAI.

4.    MALL CONSTRUCTION PROJECT AND FEEDBACK
•    Clr R not at meeting – therefore no feedback.

5.    TRAFFIC AND TAXI PROJECT
•    Jo Marais was not at the meeting and therefore no feedback.

6.    ENVIRONMENT
•    It was noted that Piki Tup has finally delivered dustbins to 1st and 2nd Streets Killarney.
•    Large rats have been noticed living under the electrical box, cnr 3rd Street and Killarney Road.  It is believed the rats are also active in the conduit under the box.
•    Clr Mohlala offered to contact the pest control section and request rat poison placed under the electrical box and in drains.
•    Illegal dumping has been noted in 1st and 2nd Streets Killarney and outside the Riviera Car Park in Main Road Riviera.  WF to ask if SCAI has cameras in these areas which can monitor this.
•    WF reported that he had sent a letter to Mentone Court requesting their Killarney Road pavement be cleared – this has been done and WF has sent a letter of thanks.

7.    FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
•    BDC reported there were no new members and 4 buildings have yet to pay.
•    With regard to the damaged palisade fence surrounding the park on 7th Street, BDC reported he had tried to contact Madiba Fencing who did the original job with no success.  He subsequently contacted Solly of Cardinal Fencing who is prepared to repair the palisade fence. BDC to meet with Solly and request a quote.  The committee also requested BDC get a quote to fence off the four corners of the two bridges (Anerley and 4th Avenue) to prevent people from climbing onto the embankment and setting up home.
•    WF believes that if the Park is not fixed soon it could lead to City Parks no longer locking the gate and vagrants once again occupying the land.
•    A vote was taken and all agreed the repairs should proceed as quickly as possible.

8.    GENERAL
•    SM reported on a visitor connecting the middle island in Riviera Road due to no signage.  The meeting noted that signage on this island has been flattened on a number of occasions – Clr R to request embedded reflectors instead.
•    SM requested that the newspaper poster holders be removed from Main Road as traffic is once again using Oxford Road.  JLC to write to contact at The Star.
•    LS requested help from Clr M with regard to the delivery of rate accounts.  He had been in contact with Mr Irving Florence (082 568 0544) who was of no use.  LS to send email to Clr M who will then contact the Executive Director.
•    WF suggested all bills be emailed where possible.
•    Inspec B mentioned that there will be more police in the area with the end of year approaching, but he urged people to take extra care.  He also once again asked people not to put valuables inside the visible areas of their cars.
•    SCAI is managing a collection for the wife and children of a policeman who was killed recently in Jeppe – next door to Hillbrow. A R1 000-00 donation was unanimously approved by the meeting.
•    Clr M reported that Ward Committees are to be dissolved.
•    Taxis are ignoring the traffic circle across from ‘Ronnie’s Park’ and are taking short cuts down the wrong side of 4th Ave.  WF requested the island be extended across the bridge to the traffic circle to prevent this happening.  WF to put in writing to Clr M.
•    It was noted that the problem of taxis cutting across lanes persists on the M1S off-ramp to Riviera Road and an extension of the curb is still required.

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees.

The next meeting will be held on

THURSDAY 27TH NOVEMBER 2008 AT 18H00