The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 20th JULY 2012

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 20 JULY 2012 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chair); Charles Whyte; Jo Marais; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Kayte Denham; Paul Denham; Mike Kalk; Deleen Levy; Yogan Naidoo; Hendrik Cloete (ADT); Yogan Naidoo; Sue Prior; Steve Mendelsohn; Trish Terry; George Kymdell; Raphael Ndlovu; Debbie de Beer; Jeffrey.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
• Clr Marcelle Ravid; David Kramer; AK Jadwat; Annsilla Nyar; Margaret Constantaras; Dalien Rutenberg; Rochelle Aarons; David Spencer.

3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

4. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy presented a summary of the detailed crime statistics for the month. This was a better month – we suffered only 1 theft of a vehicle this month, and 3 thefts out of vehicles. This improvement might be due to a group of car thieves having been arrested in Braamfontein a few weeks ago. Long may this last.
• There was also one house robbery reported.
• A suspect was arrested in the Mall. He managed to escape, but was chased and promptly re-captured in Newton Road. The SAPS also arrested 4 other people in Killarney, who were wanted for crimes committed outside of Killarney.
• It was noted that the lamp posts in 1st Street cnr 4th Ave are being tampered with – quite possibly to facilitate crime. Please keep an eye on the lamp-posts near your buildings, and let us know urgently if you note that they are being tampered with.
• The police thanked the community for their co-operation and information, which is very valuable in preventing crime. Residents are again reminded to please call the police van immediately when you notice suspicious activity, and not to wait until later to complain, by which time nothing can be done. The SAPS patrol van is on 071 675 6001.
• Hendrick Cloete of ADT Security was attending. ADT is a service-provider to many buildings in Killarney, and Mr Cloete assured the community that ADT is committed to preventing and deterring crime. He will meet regularly with Captain Moonsamy to ensure the dedicated ADT patrol vehicles in Killarney co-operate closely with the SAPS.
• Please do not support hawkers and beggars – they are behaving illegally, and some of them are possibly linked to more serious crimes as well. If you support them, they will be more inclined to stay in the area.

5. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• There were no ward councillors present. However Councillor Ravid was thanked for her assistance in successfully getting the street lights repaired in 2nd Ave and 1st Street.

6. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• The requested traffic calming measures at the intersection of 3rd Street and 2nd Ave appear to have been finalised by JRA. In order to limit the cost, we have asked the engineer if the project could be limited to a single standard raised pedestrian crossing. The engineer reports that JRA have consented to this modification. The required deposit amount has been paid, and the work should commence shortly.
• There has been no further feedback on the proposal by the Gautrain to route their GauBus service through Riviera and Killarney, and to stop at the Mall.
• A resident south of the motorway (up on the hill) has reported that a metro bus drives through those narrow roads twice a day. The bus number has been noted, and it has been reported to the authorities in the municipal bus company. Please note that, if you see a bus driving on a road where no bus route exists, you need to record the ID number of each bus, as well as the time of each offence, so that we can trace the drivers.
• We are delighted to note that the water-pipe repair excavation at the corner of 4th Ave and 5th Street has finally been filled in, although the tarred surface has not yet been reinstated. Thanks to Clr Ravid for her efforts here too. We hope the tar will be repaired before the rains begin.
• Unfortunately nothing has yet been done about the various leaks and leak repairs in 4th Ave at the corner of Riviera Road.
• Clr Ravid is requested to ask JRA to repaint all the road markings in Killarney, including especially the red lines in no-parking zones.

7. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• To improve our visibility, we have created a series of NKRA signs. These promote contributing financially to NKRA projects, joining the recycling project and crime awareness. Not many buildings have responded to this initiative yet. Trish raised a concern about the proposed logo – this will be discussed off-line.
• Several large branches broke off from the trees in the park in the recent strong winds, and the windy season has not yet properly begun. Pavement trees were recently pruned in 5th Street, between Whitehall Court and Hannover Gate, and we have requested that all the pavement jacarandas be pruned as soon as City Parks can manage it.
• Once again, all buildings that have received new pavement trees are requested to water them diligently through the winter months, so that they will produce their new leaves as soon as the weather warms up.
• Re the proposed antennae to be built on the roof of Great Martinhall Manor in Riviera Road, cnr Oxford Road, Charles has officially objected to the tribunal on our behalf. We must now wait to see what happens.
• There is also some research underway re the new relay antennae that have appeared on the roof of Killarney Wilds, although these seem to be of the low-energy type which already exists on the roofs of many tall buildings in Killarney.
• Charles, Kayte and Peter held a meeting with the provincial heritage authorities, and got a lot of good advice from them. They recommended that buildings with heritage features should apply for heritage status individually, rather than for the suburb to apply as a suburb. Charles will now approach Mentone Court, Daventry Court and Riviera Mansions, to see if they are interested in applying for heritage status.

8. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Unless we are able to increase the amount of donations received, we will not have the funds to undertake any new projects next year.
• A letter will be sent to former contributors to remind them of the value-adding projects we have undertaken, in an effort to persuade them to resume supporting us financially.

9. GENERAL
• An Eskom initiative has been communicated to us, whereby high-consumption lighting is replaced with low consumption lighting FOR FREE. Charles will follow up on this for us.
• Debbie of Dumbarton Oaks introduced Jeffrey, who has done good work at Dumbarton Oaks and whose services she is happy to recommend. He does building alterations, painting, plumbing, water-proofing, electrical work and virtually any other building repair. You can contact Jeffrey on 072 783 1553, or by email at infinitelegacy@telkomsa.net.
• The boundary wall at Dukes Court will be completed soon – a new contractor is being identified – and the pavement will be restored as part of that project.
• If you have any concerns about the quality of the tap water in your building, you can contact the Water Quality Management department of the Rand Water Board at http://www.randwater.co.za/WaterAndInfastructureManagement/Pages/WaterQuality.aspx or the Department of Water Affairs at http://www.dwaf.gov.za/dir_ws/dwqr/ for assistance.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 15 August 2012

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS