The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 20th APRIL 2011

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)

ON WEDNESDAY 20 APRIL 2011 AT 18H00

 

 

PRESENT:  Wayne Ford (Chairman); Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Trish Terry; Charles Whyte; Jo Marais; Henry Rudsinski; Barry Milner.

 

1.    WELCOME

The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

2.    APOLOGIES

Yogan Naidoo; Jacques Stoltz; Councillor Marcelle Ravid; Dave Spencer; Herbert Prins; Liora Brett; David Kramer.

 

3.    APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

 

4.    SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

§  Captain Moonsamy did not have the detailed crime stats since the last meeting, but he again emphasised that theft of vehicles and theft out of vehicles remains our most serious crime issue. The main hotspots are in Killarney Road opposite the Mall, and in the side streets where shoppers park. A second hotspot is the corner of 2nd Avenue and 5th Street.

§  Residents are requested to keep those hotspots under observation, and to be alert to any suspicious activity. Please call in any suspicious activity immediately, so that the criminals can be caught red-handed, on 071 675 6000 or 071 675 6001.

§  Residents are reminded that the Mall is willing to provide secure parking on a monthly basis for residents, provided enough people are interested to participate. Please contact Wendy Wheeler on wendy@interpark.co.za if you are interested to rent a secure parking space.

§  A man was arrested at The Wilds for attempted rape.

§  Captain Moonsamy reported that a syndicate is targeting people who have drawn large sums of cash from the banks. They pose as police officers, and confront the bank customers in the car park, while driving either a red Mazda or a green Jetta3. It would seem that there is an inside-person in the banking system, so please be extra careful if you are drawing large sums of cash for some reason.

§  If any residents are interested in serving as Police reservists in the Killarney area, please contact Captain Moonsamy on 071 675 6000 to arrange for training and certification.

§  The Community Policing Forum AGM will be held in June, so we need to hold our NKRA AGM before the end of May. May 19 was chosen, as May 18 is a public holiday.

§  Captain Moonsamy was again asked to blitz the many hawkers and beggars in 4th Avenue, from top to bottom, and at the taxi rank in 1st Street.

§  Captain Moonsamy was again asked to manage the problem of the patrol van using the siren to greet pedestrians at 2am. If you hear the siren at night please note the date and time, and let us know, as there are different officers in the van on different days and at different times.

 

5.    TRAFFIC ISSUES

§  A meeting was held on site with WF, JM and a JRA traffic engineer, to ask for a 4-Way Stop at the corner of 3rd Street and 4th Avenue. A traffic study will be done, and JRA will take a decision in the next few weeks.

§  Captain Moonsamy was asked to address the problem of children playing soccer in 1st Street, including late at night. Some of the players and spectators, including some children, have also been seen drinking alcohol on the pavement.

§  The road-works at the corner of 2nd Street and 2nd Avenue has been fixed, and the road and pavement resurfaced. Thanks to all those who helped to pursue this repair!

§  The dangerous road up the hill in 10th Street is being addressed. The Council has agreed to help identify the owner of the vacant land that is causing the problem. The fencing of the pavement will also be addressed with the Knightsbridge trustees

 

6.    ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

§  We have accumulated a sum of money over the last few years to finance additional speed-humps and traffic-circles, provided the JRA gives us permission. However we probably have enough money to pay for those modifications now, with some left over. It was unanimously agreed that we should put this extra money to use on other projects to improve the suburb.

§  The rubbish on the motorway embankment alongside 7th Street is getting worse. Pikitup is not “allowed” to clean this area, as it belongs to the JRA motorway department. It was agreed to obtain quotes from private contractors to clean this area properly.

§  It was agreed to get quotes from private contractors to identify and fix all potholes in Killarney-Riviera, as this would be a very valuable improvement to the area.

§  It was agreed to get quotes for a private street-sweeping service. It was however noted that dumping the rubbish is by far the most difficult and expensive part of this service. Buildings will be asked to assist in this project by allowing pavement rubbish cleaners to put some of the rubbish into their internal garbage systems for disposal by Pikitup.

§  Clr Ravid has told us that we cannot prune the pavement trees, but she has put in a request to the Parks Department to have these trees pruned for safety reasons.

§  Gleneagles was also requested to prune their trees along the 1st Avenue fence, to improve security by reducing shadowed areas wherein criminals (and soccer players) lurk.

 

7.    FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

§  It was agreed to provisionally set the AGM for Thursday 19 May, because 18 May is a public holiday. WF will first consult the Mall to ask if the venue could be available on that evening.

§  It was noted that comparatively few buildings contribute financially to the NKRA, although all residents benefit from our various projects. It was agreed that the issue of the voluntary contributions will be emphasised in the newsletters in future, and meanwhile we will continue to source additional funds directly for specific high-cost projects as we have done in the past. We thank those buildings that do contribute regularly.

§  It was agreed to open an interest-bearing account in addition to our current account, so that we can once again earn a bit of interest on our funds while we wait for JRA to decide re our various traffic-safety proposals.

 

8.    GENERAL

§   The website has been redesigned – please visit it at www.nkra.org.za , and let us have your comments and suggestions.

 

The meeting was closed, with thanks to all who attended, and thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

 

 

Our next meeting will be the AGM, and will be held on

THURSDAY 19 MAY 2011 AT 18H00

 

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS

 

PLEASE CHECK YOU ARE REGISTERED TO VOTE – AT www.elections.org.za.