The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 19th JUNE 2013

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 19 JUNE 2013 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chair); Jo Marais; Ruth Kuper; Paul Denham; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Clr M Ravid (Ward 73); Robyn Higgins; George Kymdell; Preston Wheatley; Barry Hearne; Mary Caganoff; Lesley Buckley; Debbie de Beer; Wynand Ferreira.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Mike Kalk; Yogan Naidoo; Trish Terry; Keith Edmeades; Deleen Levy; Charles Whyte; Hans Peter Ege; Frank & Audrey Kobrin; Kayte Denham; Vivian Darko.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• It was noted that the Mall has requested us to finish by 6pm. As we are guests here, we will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish on time.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy delivered the crime statistics report. This month we suffered 2 thefts of vehicles, 3 thefts out of vehicles, 4 burglaries, 1 assault and 2 robberies.
• Captain Moonsamy is performing security inspections at all buildings on request. 6 inspections have been conducted thusfar, and they are adding a lot of value. Please contact Wayne to arrange an inspection.
• The SAPS yet again warn all residents to ensure there are no ladders or similar equipment left lying around, which could tempt a thief by making it easy for them. This is especially important when a building is being painted or repaired, and ladders and scaffolding are being left on site overnight or over weekends.
• Please pay attention to your burglar bars, and try to have a camera with a recorder covering your visitors’ parking area if they park in the street.
• There is a lot of extra visible policing in the area now, including marked cars stationed at all bridges, primarily to deter vehicle theft, smash & grabs and hijacking.
• It was reported that police responding to one break-in did not automatically take fingerprints, but had to be asked. Wayne will report this lapse at the CPF. Please remember to demand that fingerprints be taken if you are the victim of a crime.
• The police patrol van number is 071 675 6001. If they don’t answer, please call the sector patrol commander on 011 488 6517, or else call 10111.
• The CAP patrol service is too expensive. A more affordable alternative is for small groups of neighbouring buildings to jointly hire a foot-patroller, to patrol the streets and pavements between their buildings, backed up by the standard armed response service of that particular security company. This will cost about R10,000 per month for a 24/7 guard, and the guard can then be stationed so that only the buildings who are paying for the service will get the service. It is thus much more affordable as well as much more effective than a single vehicle patrolling far and wide.
• Another useful idea is to have a log-in system for your guards, which requires them to enter a password every 20 minutes. This ensures they don’t stray from their post, and that they don’t fall asleep.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Councillor Ravid arrived only as the meeting was ending. She reported that a meeting will be held with the Gautrain management on Tuesday to discuss fine-tuning their bus route through Killarney. Please let us have your feedback urgently on this issue.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• The major potholes are still a concern, but our road markings are all being repainted. We hope they finish all our markings before they run out of paint.
• A petition has been circulated asking for better by-law enforcement, particularly around the illegal taxi rank. It is being delivered to all buildings, and was emailed to everyone on the mailing list. Please circulate this throughout your building, and help us to get as many signatures as possible.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• The Centenary Project is on-going. We have applied to City Parks for permission to plant a tree as part of our Heritage Day celebration. Wayne is meeting with City Parks on site on Thursday.
• The pavement bins have been cleared of accumulated rubble. This should ensure that we don’t have rubbish overflowing anymore.
• Kayte Denham of Pam Golding Properties has replaced her sponsorship boards on the pavement bins with new boards, after the damage caused by the illegal adverts of the Prophet uMoyo. Her bins are now looking very clean and fresh. However we need more bins, especially in Riviera Road and 7th Street.
• The litter situation is now much better, and the NKRA sweeper project has been fine-tuned nicely.
• We now need to focus on weeds. The stretch of Riviera Road outside Allegria is particularly neglected, which is a problem because it is so very visible. Neither Allegria nor Martindale Mews across the road have been very civic-minded up to now, so we appeal to other buildings in Riviera Road please to take a half-hour to clear those weeds from those gutters.
• 4th Ave is also problematic for much of its length. Please would the buildings along 4th Ave lend a hand here as well?
• We note that a clean and well-tended pavement reduces littering and even crime. We congratulate Killarney Court for their initiative to create attractive gardens on their 1st Street pavement, as this will not only improve the aesthetics of that road but will also help to reduce crime and littering.
• If you have new trees on your pavements, please would you help us by watering them often through the winter months.

9. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Nothing to report.

10. GENERAL
• Nothing to add.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 17 JULY 2013 AT 5PM!!!!

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS