The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 19th JANUARY 2011

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)

ON WEDNESDAY 19 JANUARY 2011 AT 18H00

 

 

PRESENT:     Wayne Ford (Chairman)

W/O Bester (SAPS); Charles Whyte; Debbie de Beer; Herbert Prins; Jo Marais; Charlotte Danby; Audrey Kobrin; Barry Milner; Celeste Mulholland; Rob Milne; George Kymdell; Trish Scholtz; Shaheena Cassim; Giesela Seidel; Michael Kalk; Dave Spencer; Sgt Soekani (JMPD); Sgt Hlongwane (JMPD).

 

1.    WELCOME

The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting, and thanked the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

 

2.    APOLOGIES

Clr Marcelle Ravid; Alan Lewis; Esme Carel; Yogan Naidoo; Frank Kobrin; Matildhe.

 

3.    APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

 

4.    SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

§   Warrant Officer Bester reported that the crime stats since October included: 2 armed robbery, 2 common robbery, 2 thefts of vehicles, 5 thefts out of vehicles. Our high-crime-time is Friday evening and Friday night.

§   A second dedicated SAPS patrol vehicle has been allocated to Killarney. W/O Bester will send us the contact cell-number ASAP.

§   It was reported that the police patrol vehicle had confronted some young girls who were out on the streets late at night, and in the process they had badly frightened the girls. W/O Bester will discuss the matter with the shift commanders, and ensure that all SAPS members are aware of the need for sensitivity when dealing with the public, and especially so with children.

§   It was noted that criminals are attracted to pavements which appear to be neglected. All buildings are again urged to ensure that their pavements are kept clean, neat and free of weeds. St John’s Wood and Dukes Court were commended on trimming their trees, to reduce the shadows on the pavements wherein the roaches lurk.

§   The Hillbrow Community Policing Forum has launched a Caring Caretakers project. The objective here is to address the serious issues of drug-dealing and domestic violence inside buildings, which are typically not visible to the police but which are generally known to caretakers. Also, some residents who are unwilling to get involved might still be willing to pass on their observations to their caretakers, who can then contact the police. All buildings are urged to encourage their caretakers to join the CPF project database, so that the CPF can communicate with them, and to allow them to communicate more easily with the CPF. This will be a separate database from those who receive the NKRA minutes, so please register your caretakers specifically.

§   The CPF constitution is being amended to incorporate the various extra provisions which are now demanded by the new Gauteng Province CPF Constitution. All other technical concerns have been addressed, and the AGM will be held in April.

§   The CPF is also appealing to the community to donate items to restock the Victim Support Centre at the Hillbrow Police Station. Most urgently needed are towels, blankets, children’s toys and a crib or carry-cot for infants. Please contact WF at wdford@global.co.za if you can assist with this in any way. WF thanked those who have already contributed to this cause.

 

5.    TRAFFIC ISSUES

§   There has been no progress yet with our proposed additional traffic-safety projects, but hopefully things will pick up now that the holiday is behind us.

§   Clr Ravid reports that our push for cameras to be installed at the problem intersection of Newton Road and Houghton Drive, at The Wilds, will proceed early this year. These cameras are needed to reduce the gridlock and resultant congestion at this intersection, which in turn makes cars vulnerable to smash-&-grab attacks.

§   The JMPD agreed to provide a much greater presence this year, particularly in Killarney Road and at the taxi rank. The following numbers are available to report concerns to JMPD:

  •  
    • Sergeant Soekani – 082 595 8543
    • Sergeant Hlongwane – 078 893 0259
    • Acting Superintendent Mabeba – 082 938 8175
    • The JMPD Control Room – 011 375 5918

 

6.    ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

§   The situation on the M1 embankment alongside the broken fence in 7th St has deteriorated badly. PikiTup have promised to help, but they claim they are not permitted onto the freeway embankment. JM will contact JRA to assist. It was noted that a large dead tree is on the verge of rolling down the embankment onto the freeway.

§   Dial Direct insurance company have created a “Pothole Brigade” to fix potholes at their own expense. This is apparently to help them save on insurance claims to damaged cars. The public can report potholes at www.potholebrigade.mobi or by SMS on *120*1551#

§   Re the park in 4th Street, it was agreed that we need to set the example by obeying and supporting the law ourselves. Hawking and drinking alcohol are illegal in parks, and owners of pets are required by law to clean up after their animals. However, the issues of locking the park (currently from 6pm to 6am) and allowing dogs to run off the leash (currently not permitted in our park) can be relaxed by an executive decision of the City Parks Department, if the community can reach a consensus. Those who wish to request a change in the gate-closing time, or re allowing dogs to run off the leash, were requested to submit their case to WF in writing. The matter will then be opened to the community in general for discussion.

§   The recycling program is going strong, and the contractor is acquiring a second vehicle so as to further improve his services. Please contact Nazeem on 073 537 3369 to join in.

§   The pavement sweepings and dustbins are not cleared by PikiTup as often as is needed. Buildings are asked to move this rubbish inside and add it to their residential refuse, to ensure prompt removal and cleaner pavements. At minimum please have your staff put all pavement refuse into your wheelie-bins when they take them out on Tuesdays, as the wheelie-bin collection department is willing to remove anything that is inside a wheelie-bin on the day.

§   We have approached our recycling contractor (Nazeem) to arrange a street-sweeping service, but this will be very expensive. However the cost can be substantially reduced if some buildings would allow the sweepers to deposit the garbage into the building’s internal refuse systems, so as to save us the transport and dumping costs.

§   We have contacted the managing agent at Martindale Mews re cleaning the pool and the other urgent maintenance work that is required. He has told us that Dr Martin intends to fill in the pool and create extra parking space. A letter will be written to Dr Martin re other corrective actions required.

§   Some street lights are on all the time now, while others don’t work at all. This will be passed on to Councillor Ravid. Please provide us with specific details of specific problem streets.

§   The WMP Pavement Competition was won by Devon Place, with St John’s Wood as runner up. Congratulations to these buildings, who are making a great contribution to the suburb.

 

7.    FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

§   The treasurer was not present. However, “invoices” will be sent out to buildings shortly to request them to again make voluntary annual subscriptions. Please contact us if your building is willing to become a Contributing Member, and is not already on our subscribers’ list.

 

8.    GENERAL

§   The boundaries of the voting areas for municipal elections have been redrawn. Please check your registration details (and those of each of your adult family members) at 0800-11-8000 or at www.elections.org.za. Please also help to register any of your children who have reached 18 years of age since the last election.

§   The on-going chaos with the electricity and rates billing system is getting out of hand. We are talking to various associations about the channels through which to sue the City Council for destructive non-performance, and illegal termination of service. If there are any lawyers in Killarney who have this expertise, please contact us.

§   Meanwhile, people who are affected by the billing chaos can seek assistance from Gordon.mackay81@googlemail.com, or at www.sancu.co.za or www.dplg.gov.za, or from the Public Protector on 012 366 7000.

 

 

 

Our next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 16 FEBRUARY 2011 AT 18H00

 

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS