The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 19th FEBRUARY 2014

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 19 FEBRUARY 2014 AT 17H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chair); Deon Pelser; Laurence Sachs; Trish Terry; Raphael Ndlovu; Paul Denham; Kayte Denham, Jill Bronner; Clr M Ravid (Ward 73); Charles Whyte; Ruth Kuper; Abe Sher; Captain Moonsamy; Jo Marais; Rose Magabane; Mary Caganoff.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Preston Wheatley; Yogan Naidoo; Steve Mendelsohn; Mike Kalk; Dean Dada; Bryce Reilly; George Kymdell; Deleen Levy.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• It was noted that the Mall has requested us to finish by 6pm. As we are guests here, we will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish on time.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy presented the crimes statistics: 1 fraud; 2 burglaries; 1 drunk driving; 1 possession of drugs; 3 shoplifting; 2 theft of vehicles; 1 theft out of vehicles; 1 malicious damage to property; and 1 common robbery, with an immediate arrest.
• Councillor Ravid will arrange a meeting for Captain Moonsamy with Superintendent Sebola of the JMPD, to secure better service delivery.
• If you see beggars harassing people, or if you are harassed, please phone the patrol van immediately so that they can make an arrest – cell number 071 675 6001. If they don’t answer, please call 10111.
• Killarney Hills is convening a meeting to discuss improvements to security in The Wilds.
• The double parking in 1st Street West is a problem to motorists, and lends itself to thefts out of vehicles. The patrol van is asked please to maintain a presence here at night.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Councillor Ravid reported that the aggressive beggars and vagrants have been reported once again to JMPD.
• She has requested an inspection of the entire area by the JMPD Urban Management unit, to address all open manholes, potholes, road markings etc.
• Daventry Court is suing the municipality for over-charging on electricity and water.
• The BRT will soon be commencing along Louis Botha Avenue, which will choke Louis Botha Avenue a lot and might therefore send a bit more traffic through Killarney.
• The ablution facility in the park is not yet operational.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• We need a slip-road south into Oxford Road from Riviera Road, to clear rush-hour traffic faster – there is space to fit this in.
• We need turning arrows at the intersection of Riviera Road and Main Road.
• The water pipe repair in Riviera Road cnr Oxford Road broke open again – once again that area is a mess and a safety hazard.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• It is agreed that 2nd Street between Killarney Road and 2nd Ave is very bleak and unattractive. We are working with Brenthurst Court to remove some of the concrete from their pavement at the corner of 2nd Ave and 2nd Street, and to build a flowerbed and a shrubbery. If you are able and willing to donate appropriate plants or other resources, please let us know.
• It was noted that Daventry Court are planning to build flower-boxes on their pavement at the corner of 4th Ave and 1st Street as well – all suggestions and donations would be most welcome.
• Buildings often need an extra gardener or two for a day or a weekend, to help with non-routine projects or when a staff member is on leave. Employees of buildings are sometimes willing to work piece-jobs on their weekends for extra cash. If your gardeners are willing and available to work piece-jobs in neighbouring buildings, please could you let us know, so that we can build up a database?
• There is a lot of rubbish building up again in the car park in 7th Street. The buildings in the area were requested to help with a clean-up.
• Due to the continually unreliable street lights, it is recommended that buildings install floodlights of their own to light up high-risk shadowy areas. LED floodlights are now quite cheap, use hardly any power and provide a huge amount of light. Kayte and Deon are investigating a bulk purchase – we will let everyone know once they have secured the appropriate equipment.
• We have been unable to find another recycling service that will collect the material for free. We are now talking to Mondi, who will collect paper and cardboard only, but for free (the Ronnie-Bag project). Please contact Adele Thompson on 011 538 8605 or 083 308 2031 to participate in this project.
• It was agreed that we will hold a Spring Day event on 28 September, with a Spring theme, as well as it being the anniversary of the Centenary event. This is a Sunday, so hopefully it will attract a good turn-out. We will approach the Organic Food Market to participate, as well as any local musicians who might be willing to demonstrate their talents, and the Art in the Park organisation. We will need to obtain participation from other food sellers, and we will need some events for the children too. All suggestions are most welcome.
• Councillor Ravid will request City Parks to install some basic “Trim Park” equipment in the 4th Street Park, to promote exercise and good health among both children and adults, and to attract more people into the park more regularly.
• Daventry Court’s Blue Heritage Plaque has stalled. We will pursue this with the supplier.
• It has been suggested that we obtain birth control pills for the pigeons, to gradually reduce their population in a humane manner.

9. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• The fundraising sub-committee is starting by approaching buildings to get the contact details of the current trustees.
• Wayne will send a pro-forma invoice to Brenthurst Court.

10 GENERAL
• The servitude over the municipal parking lot in Main Road has finally been officially cancelled, and that land now belongs firmly to Berkley Square. Berkley Square will cede ownership of the lane between Berkley Square and Mediterranean to allow access in perpetuity to the area of parking belonging to Mediterranean.
• Communication is an important part of what the NKRA does, and we get a lot of value from being able to communicate quickly and cheaply with trustees of various buildings by email. However trustees change from time to time, and they don’t always let us know when these changes happen. Please could you all let us have the names and email addresses of the current trustees of your buildings?

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 19 MARCH 2014 AT 5PM

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS