The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 18th SEPTEMBER 2013

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 18 SEPTEMBER 2013 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chair); Ruth Kuper; Kayte Denham; Paul Denham; Dalien Rutenberg; Charles Whyte; Jo Marais; Deleen Levy; Raphael Ndlovu; Mike Kalk; Jill Bronner; Bryce Rielly; Tim Jones; Vivian Darko.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Yogan Naidoo; Keith Edmeades; Frank & Audrey Kobrin; Rochelle Aaron; Clr M Ravid (Ward 73); Harry Rutenberg; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Barry Hearne, Wynand Ferreira; George Kymdell.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• It was noted that the Mall has requested us to finish by 6pm. As we are guests here, we will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish on time.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy has apologised, so there were no crime statistics available.
• The police patrol van number is 071 675 6001. If they don’t answer, please call 10111.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Councillor Ravid has apologised.
• However she has given feedback on her efforts to clarify the PikiTup billing issue. The default situation appears to be that PikiTup will assume every unit has a bin and will bill units individually. However if your building uses communal bins, then you can apply to have the body corporate billed for only the number of bins you are actually using. Please put your application in writing, and send it to Clr Ravid for forwarding.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• The street-names need to be repainted again. Charles is retrieving the stencils from Celeste, and we are now looking for a suitable painter.
• The issue of the taxis in 1st Street was raised yet again. It was again clarified that the Mall has no legal responsibility here, and that the owners of the Mall are not currently prepared to create an ad-hoc taxi rank on Mall property. The responsibility for public transport infrastructure lies with the municipality, and only they have the ability and the authority to resolve this issue. Meanwhile JMPD are responsible for enforcing the by-laws against the taxi drivers and hawkers. It was reported that the Faraday Taxi Association appears to be a bit more flexible than they were before.
• The drain-water from Dukes Court is still flowing into 2nd Ave. Their trustees have undertaken to investigate the problem.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• The Centenary Celebration is almost upon us.
• We will start the proceedings by unveiling a heritage plaque for the TAC at the intersection of 2nd Ave and 5th Street at 10 am.
• Then we will plant the symbolic tree, which is a Wild Peach tree sponsored by Pam Golding Properties. It will be delivered and positioned on the day before the event, and on the day the community will be invited to participate in planting it.
• The Egoli Heritage Foundation will install a plaque later on to describe the tree.
• Large numbers of very smart flyers are being distributed by Kayte – many thanks to Kayte for the enormous amount of work she is doing for this event.
• The public are encouraged to bring picnic baskets. Kayte has arranged with Killarney Toyota to provide braais, so that people can bring meat to braai along with their picnics.
• Electricity has been promised from Sloane Square, but we need to get a number of extension cables for the day.
• The SAPS have committed to set up a table or caravan, and hopefully will also provide some crime-fighting technology demos.
• Councillor Ravid will set up a table, to interact with the community.
• We will have a baking competition, to see who can bake the best “centenary muffins”. These can then also be sold to the public.
• Kayte is arranging a spring-hat theme for the children.
• Vivian and Kayte are putting together the pet competition.
• Daventry Court, Mentone Court and Gleneagles have agreed to participate in a heritage walk and will allow a visit. Daventry will be the last stop on the tour, and will provide some light refreshments to the visitors. The trustees of Whitehall Court have decided not to participate in this heritage walk.
• In the near future Daventry Court and Mentone Court will unveil heritage plaques of their own, but they won’t be ready in time for 28 Sept.

9. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Nothing new to report.

10 GENERAL
• Urban Genesis are once again investigating the viability of engaging in Killarney-Riviera. They will attend the Centenary Day event to interact with the community.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 16 OCTOBER 2013 AT 5PM!!!!

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS