The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 18th JUNE 2014

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 18 JUNE 2014 AT 17H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chair); Raphael Ndlovu; Jill Bronner; Kayte Denham; Ruth Kuper; Clr M Ravid; Captain Moonsamy; Mike Kalk; Jo Marais; Dean Dada; Charles Whyte; Laurence Sachs; Dalien Rutenberg; Chibby Clacey.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Keith Edmeades; Bryce Reilly; Harry Rutenberg; Simonetta Wilson; Vivian Darko; Claudia John; Deon Pelser; Paul Denham; Brigadier Ntandane; Rochelle Aarons; AK Jadwat; David Kramer.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• It was noted that the Mall has requested us to finish by 6pm. As we are guests here, we will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish on time.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy presented a summary of the main crimes suffered during the period, which included among others 2 house robberies; 2 burglaries; and 1 theft of a vehicle. The house robberies and burglaries seem to indicate the participation of insiders, either employees or former employees, or perhaps service providers.
• It has also been noted that people who leave balcony doors or windows open suffer intrusions more often than others, so it is apparent that the burglars are not striking randomly. All residents need to take constant care at all times, so as to not make themselves vulnerable to opportunistic criminals.
• As a preventative measure, Captain Moonsamy is offering to do inspections of perimeter fences and roof-top staff quarters. This requires the co-operation of the body corporate. If you would like to have the SAPS evaluate your security measures, please contact Captain Moonsamy on 071 675 6000.
• Kayte will assist to deliver a letter to all bodies corporate, warning them of this danger and informing them of the SAPS project above, as not all buildings are represented on our mailing list.
• The JMPD claim to have been active in Killarney, but we need to keep advising them of specific concerns. Please SMS your by-law concerns to Councillor Ravid, who will be our contact person – 084 355 0826.
• There are vagrants living on the motorway embankment near the 4th Ave bridge, who are making fires regularly. Captain Moonsamy will investigate.
• Our dedicated SAPS patrol van sometimes tells callers that they can’t help because they are not in Killarney. When this happens, please make a note of the date and time, and let us know this info ASAP, so that we can pinpoint exactly which shift was at fault.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• We note that the ablution facility in the park is now operational, but the attendant tends to lock up and go off at random intervals. Please could this service be stabilised again.
• Children do play in the street, including quite small children. Please watch out for them when you drive around.
• Clr Ravid is assisting to determine who in City Power is responsible for the electricity sub-station in North Road. It was noted that they do send cleaning crews to clean up from time to time.
• President Zuma has publicly acknowledged that the billing system in Johannesburg needs to be improved. Hopefully something will now be done.
• We have not yet received any feedback on our request for turning arrows in Riviera Road cnr Main Road.
• It was noted that street lights tend to be on during the day but off at night when they are needed. This is currently a problem in 3rd St cnr Killarney Road, in 1st Street cnr 2nd Ave and in Riviera Road between 4th Ave and Oxford Road.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• No potholes or manholes were fixed since the last meeting that we are aware of.
• It was noted that the uneven pavement outside Gleneagles in 2nd Ave has still not been addressed. The pavement in 1st Street near the corner of 4th Ave is also dangerously uneven and getting worse, as an old reinstatement is subsiding.
• It was noted that a serious accident occurred at the corner of 2nd Ave and 2nd Street recently. It appears one car failed to stop at the stop-street. The possibility of speed-humps was discussed, as well as maybe a bigger stop-sign. However there is no cure for lawless drivers. All suggestions are welcome.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• We have requested permission from City Parks to hold a Spring Day event in the 4th Street Park on Sunday 28 September, but have still not received a response.
• We have not yet received any response on our request for more plants and playground equipment either. Clr Ravid was asked to pursue this with City Parks please.
• It was noted that an organisation called Wide Open Platform sometimes provides park equipment – we need to find them and speak with them.
• We note that the repairs to the ablution facility have been completed – Clr Ravid was thanked for her help with that important step. Unfortunately this facility is often locked during operating hours – Clr Ravid was asked to pursue this with City Parks.
• The initiative to beautify the corner of 2nd Street and 2nd Ave is making good progress. The old concrete has been removed, and the fence is being installed. Thereafter new soil will be brought in, and the planting will commence. Please let us know if you are still willing and able to donate trees and plants to beautify this new pavement garden.
• The parking lot in 7th Street and the adjacent motorway embankment, are once again snowed under with compacted garbage. The rats here are quite something. Chibby from Santa Margherita has offered to fund a once-off clean-up of the area, after which hopefully the adjacent buildings will be able to keep the garbage under control. Once again the JMPD is needed here to relocate the squatters and to police littering and hawking at that spot. Clr Myeki has been asked to pursue PikiTup to clean more thoroughly at that spot, and to source more pavement rubbish bins.

9. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Paul Denham is undertaking an initiative to obtain the contact details of the trustees of the other buildings, so that we can address our appeals more effectively. Laurence will email the membership list to Paul and Kayte.

10 GENERAL
• The Daventry Court building has managed to obtain a heritage plaque. The unveiling will be done on 28 September, to coincide with the Spring Day event.
• A booklet was being prepared recording the heritage of Killarney and Riviera. Ruth will speak with Barry and Wynand to ascertain progress with that project.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 16 JULY 2014 AT 5PM

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS