MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 18th JANUARY 2017

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 18 JANUARY 2017 AT 17H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (chairman); Raphael Ndlovu (Whitehall Court); Faye Susser-Sher (Whitehall Court); Elena Joaquim (St Johns Wood); Mike Kalk (Brenthurst Court); Deon Pelser (Brenthurst Court); Estelle Jacobs (Killarney Park); Julie Wilson (Killarney Hills); Vivian Cobbett (Biarritz); David Kramer (Chartwell); Lucas du Toit (IDWorks); Margaret Urban (Hanover Gate); Rochester Shen (Mentone Court).

1. WELCOME
The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting, wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

2. APOLOGIES
Charles Whyte (Beverley Heights); Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Paulo Joaquim (Sevenoaks); Katia Lodder (Killarney Mall); Dean Dada (RCS Security); Stefan Mohl (Riviera Mansions).

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• We will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish by 6pm.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy was not in attendance, and no crime statistics were presented. Many police members worked a lot of extra hours over the holiday period, and are now catching up on their rest and leave days.
• The security project in 1st Street helped to manage the noise over the holidays, supported by the fact that many of the loiterers appear to have left Killarney during the holiday period. They are now increasingly returning, so we will need to continue to manage this problem actively. The Mall management are willing to participate on some basis, and Wayne is talking to their security company about what can viably be done.
• The Mall is discussing with the City and the taxi associations to build a proper taxi rank on Mall property. These talks are progressing smoothly, but are far from complete.
• However we note that solving the taxi problem will not necessarily solve the alcohol-selling problem as well, so we need to continue to focus on this ourselves.
• Rochester Shen has volunteered to be our CPF representative. The meeting unanimously accepted Rochester as the CPF representative going forward.
• If you call the SAPS patrol van and get no response, please call the Hillbrow Joint Operations Command Centre on 011 488 6712 or call 10111. For by-law and noise issues, please call the JMPD control centre on 011 378 1000, and ask for a reference number.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Clr Snyman has resigned from her position as our ward councillor, and another councillor has been appointed to serve as a caretaker for our ward until the next by-election. His name is Mr Strike Rambani, and he can be contacted at strike@orchardsproject.org.za.
• Some of the excavations created on our pavements by fibre-optic companies have been reinstated, but the problem has not yet been completely resolved. Wayne and Charles will continue to pursue the matter to completion.
• There has been no further feedback about the court case against the owner of Martindale Mews, to have him remove the backyard shacks which have been built illegally in the parking lot. We now have to wait for the new councillor to get up to speed on this matter.
• Faye has noticed that the car washers are getting water in 5th Street, outside Hanover Gate. Margaret will follow this up with her security provider and garden staff.
• The JRA will be asked to repaint the road markings again, and to repair damaged road signs.
• Concerns were raised about rubble being dumped on pavements, pavements in poor repair etc. Please use the number 0860 562 874 to report all road and pavement-related problems to the municipality. This includes all cases of rubble being dumped on pavements, pavements or road signs in need of repair, potholes, streetlights not working, blocked storm-drains, or traffic lights out of order.

7. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• Now that it is raining a bit more regularly, we are looking to increase our planting in the park. The main focus is still to create a dense green barrier around the ablution block, which is a valuable but not particularly attractive asset. If you have any plants available to donate, please would you drop them off at the ablution block in the park.
• We are also looking to expand the communal vegetable garden in the park. Potatoes and peppers are particularly easy to grow. If anybody is interested in helping, please could you donate some vegetable seeds, or maybe drop in when you have time to help us plant and weed the plantations.
• Somebody kindly donated a rain gauge to the park. To make effective use of it, we need to keep a diary of the readings every day. We can easily ask the park attendant to do this for us, but maybe a resident would like to take on that project?
• The park fence is in bad shape, and needs repairs. This has been reported to City Parks.
• New signs are being designed for the park, to give credit to the sponsors (Pam Golding Properties and Vision Tactical Security) who are making such a huge contribution.
• Recycling is an easy way to make a big contribution to the environment. Paper and cardboard are particularly easy and valuable to recycle. You can join the well-run Mpact Orange-Bag project by contacting them on 011 538 8600 or at http://mpact.co.za/.
• We have a directory of recommended suppliers on our website. We are constantly looking for recommendations of all types of suppliers, but at present particularly for heat pumps and other forms of renewable power and water saving. Please let us know if you have a reliable supplier whom you are prepared to recommend.
• The meeting discussed various new projects that could perhaps be undertaken in 2017. All further suggestions are welcome, but the suggestions made thus far included:
? Planting new pavement trees on 3rd Street, to replace trees that have died. Please note that we are only allowed to plant indigenous trees on pavements. Stinkwood trees are highly recommended, and have been successful in many other places around our neighbourhood.
? Repainting the street names on the kerbs.
• The Lhenveolan building in 1st Street has started to repair the many cracks in the outer walls, in preparation for the repainting thereof. They worked during the December holiday shut-down, so hopefully this will be completed soon.

10. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• There is nothing new to report.
• The 2017 membership invoices will be sent out in February.
• Wayne and Charles will meet with Estelle at Nedbank to have her added as a bank signatory.

11. GENERAL
• Wayne will try to get an update on the progress with redeveloping the municipal parking lot in Main Road Riviera.
• Lucas of IDWorks again requested the community to recommend quality tradesmen to his organisation, so that they can be better marketed – to the benefit of the tradesmen and of the community who occasionally need such services.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 15 February 2017 at 5pm

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS