The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 18th JANUARY 2012

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 18 JANUARY 2012 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chairman); Charles Whyte; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Kayte Denham; Clr Marcelle Ravid; Henry Rudzinske; Debbie de Beer; Mathilde Margolis; Yogan Naidoo; Mary Caganoff; Deleen Levy; Barry Milner, David Spencer; Jo Marais; Audrey Kobrin; Frank Kobrin; Rochelle Aarons; Dalien Rutenberg.

1. WELCOME

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting. We all wished each other a prosperous and fruitful New Year.

2.  APOLOGIES

  • Adele Asher; Steve Mendelsohn; Lorna Cooper; Celeste Williams; George Kymdell; Basil Cohen; Rob Milne.
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
  • The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.
4.  SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
  • Captain Moonsamy presented the crime report. The following statistics were reported for the two months since our November meeting: one house robbery; two burglaries; one common robbery; eight car thefts and three thefts out of vehicles.
  • The car thefts are spread through the area, and take place at any time of day or night. The only defence is vigilance.
  • Most house robberies are inside jobs, where the burglars are let into the building by the gardeners, guards, repairmen, servants or even tenants. However if you have a boundary along the motorway or The Wilds, extra care is also required to secure that boundary.
  • The large police vehicle that is parked on the pavement of Mentone Court in Killarney Road is being rotated around the Hillbrow precinct. It will probably be reassigned shortly.
  • The soccer players in 1st Street are confronted regularly by the patrol van, but they return as soon as the van moves along. Clr Ravid was asked to involve Social Services in finding an alternative venue for these young people to play.
  • Specific interventions are being planned to deal with the disturbances in 1st Street caused by illegals in Hyde Court.
  • The taxi issue outside the Mentone Court garages was discussed yet again. Only JMPD can resolve this for us, so continued requests to JMPD are required. Please nag to Superintendent Mangaliso – 011 490 1684.
  • Information is needed to fight crime – please continue to call in your reports of suspicious individuals, to Captain Moonsamy on 071 675 6000, or the patrol van on 071 675 6001.
  • The Hillbrow Police Station CPF AGM took place on 22 November 2011. A new executive was elected, with fresh leadership. The new chairman is Denzil Goldstone, a Hillbrow businessman who enjoys the support of the Brigadier. Wayne Ford of the Killarney Sector was re-elected as deputy chair. We look forward to a productive year reducing crime still further.
  • The crime prevention focus areas for the Killarney Sector for 2012 are thusfar:
  • If other serious concerns develop during the year, they will be added to the Plan.
    • Car theft, and theft out of vehicles;
    • Burglaries and home robberies;
    • Beggars and vagrants;
    • Business crimes in the Mall.
5.  TRAFFIC ISSUES
  • The project to improve traffic safety in 4th Ave and Main Road, is still not complete. New speed-humps will need to be built at the intersection of 4th Street, and outside Splice, as it is very expensive and disruptive to reshape the existing speed-humps.
  • The petition asking for a Metrobus Service in Killarney has received a lot of support. An application will now be lodged through Councillor Ravid. Thanks to Kayte for co-ordinating all the petition forms.
  • Some of the road markings were recently repainted by the JRA. We hope the others will also be repainted before the painters run out of paint.
  • A suggestion to put bollards outside the garages of Mentone Court in 1st Street was shelved. Clr Ravid pointed out that we would not be allowed to do it unilaterally, and JRA would need to be closely involved. It also seems likely bollards will cause more inconvenience and danger to Mentone residents than to the taxis.
  • A pavement road sign has been knocked over in Killarney Road between 1st St and 2nd St, another in Killarney Road between 2nd St and 3rd St, and yet another in 2nd Ave between 5th St and 4th St.
6.  ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
  • The new trees which City Parks have planted in the 4th Street Park are struggling with the heat-wave, but all of them are alive and well. Additional (very) small trees have been planted on the pavement of Gleneagles, at the corner of 2nd Ave & 1st Street, and at the corner of 2nd Ave and 2nd Street. A medium sized tree will shortly be planted on the Dukes Court pavement at the corner of 2nd Ave and 2nd Street, and another outside Seven Oaks in 3rd Street.
  • Buildings with low or open fences are urged to plant colourful shrubs etc along their boundary areas, to uplift their surroundings even further.
  • It was agreed that the Sweeper Project around Killarney Road and the taxi area has added huge value for money. It was agreed to extend the project to include two days per week cleaning the high-traffic pedestrian route of 4th Ave and Main Road, from the 7th Street circle down to North Road. This will cost about an extra R1300 per month. Dukes Court will continue to host the project. Yogan will contact Enigma to start the process of expanding the contract.
  • Buildings are asked to keep their pavements clear of weeds, as a weedy pavement attracts litter and illegal dumping. It also makes our suburb less attractive for the residents.
  • Buildings are again asked to promptly take inside the bags of litter gathered up by the PikiTup street sweepers, as these will otherwise soon be emptied out again by the scavengers.
  • We note with joy that Martindale Mews have pruned their Riviera Road hedge once again, and have generally cleaned up their garden and pavement in Riviera Road. Many thanks to the owner for that effort.
  • Lights project – Daventry Court and Beverley Heights will shortly be installing additional flood-lights in 1st Street. Hannover in 5th Street is also considering extra lighting to discourage car theft in their vicinity.
  • Clr Ravid was asked to urgently pursue City Power to reinstate the pavement in Riviera Road, which was dug up from the zoo to the highway to lay new cables. The rain has washed a lot of soil out of the trench, which is now a serious danger to pedestrians.
  • Clr Ravid was asked to urgently pursue Joburg Water about completing the repairs to water pipes under pavements in Riviera Road, especially the deep excavation at the corner of 4th Ave and Riviera Road, which is hugely dangerous to cars and pedestrians alike.
  • Clr Ravid was asked to urgently pursue Joburg Water about completing the reinstatement of their repair in the intersection of Killarney Road and 3rd Street, which poses serious danger to traffic in the middle of a congested and dangerous intersection.
7.  NEW PROJECTS
  • Once the speed-humps in 4th Ave and Main Road are completed, we will apply for permission to put new speed-humps in 1st Street, and in 3rd Street at the intersection of 2nd Avenue, which has been the scene of several major collisions recently.
  • Further pavement repairs are urgently needed. The corner of 2nd Ave and 5th Street has a serious pothole, and the pavement outside the Park in 2nd Ave is very dangerous. Other danger areas include the north pavement of 3rd Street between 4th Ave and 2nd Ave, and the north pavement of 2nd Street between 4th Ave and 2nd Ave.
  • It was suggested that we should tar over the neglected weed-patch at the 7th Street circle, alongside the motorway.
8.  FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
  • The Council call centre has been upgraded. Please continue to call them on 011 375 5555. Once you have a reference number, you can pass it on to us for follow-up.

9. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

  • The treasurer is still in the UK. Invoices will be sent out shortly to those buildings which need invoices to support their contributions.

10. GENERAL

  • It was suggested we arrange a Sectional Title seminar – please let us know if you are interested.
  • If you have experienced very good service from a supplier, please let us know as well.
The meeting was closed at 19:46, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.
Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 15 FEBRUARY 2012
PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS