MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 18th APRIL 2018

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT ROOM 223 OF THE MALL OFFICE TOWER
ON WEDNESDAY 18 APRIL 2018 AT 17H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Killarney Village); Charles Whyte (Beverley Heights); Elena Joaquim (St Johns Wood); Harry Rutenberg (Sevenoaks); Vivienne Cobbett (Biarritz); Julie Wilson (Killarney Hills); Annica Marincowitz (Chartwell); Dalien Rutenberg (Glenhof Gardens); George Kymdell (NAMA); Romi Reineke (Daventry Court); Margaret Urban (Hanover Gate); Mike Kalk (Brenthurst Court); Eleanor Huggett (Ward Councillor).

1. WELCOME
The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Paulo Joaquim (Sevenoaks); Dean Dada (RCS Security); Tony Mantle (Gleneagles); Ruth Longridge (Gleneagles); Ruth Kuper (Gleneagles); Faye Sher (Whitehall Court); Hussein Dudhia (Hampshire Mews); David Spencer (Brenthurst Court); Captain Moonsamy (SAPS).

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• We will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish by 6pm.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy had apologised, but had submitted the crime statistics for the past four weeks. These were as follows: 1 Theft of motor vehicles; 1 Theft out of motor vehicles; 3 Common assault; 1 Armed robbery; 7 Shoplifting; 2 Fraud; 1 Assault GBH (gross bodily harm).
• The SAPS are conducting operations in Killarney every week, together with the JMPD. Action is being taken against offenders, but the problems have not yet been solved. The SAPS are constantly being urged to focus on enforcing the Gauteng Liquor Act in particular.
• When you notice a problem developing with a street party or similar, please first call the City emergency hotline on 011 375 5911 and ask the operator to log a call for you. Don’t let them just transfer you to JMPD, make sure they first log a call for you with a reference number. If JMPD don’t thereafter arrive within about 30 minutes, then contact the Councillor with your reference number and ask her to chase JMPD for service.
• Councillor Huggett can be contacted by the community at any time, by SMS or Whatsapp, on 071 785 8068. Mike noted that he has also received some good responses from JMPD Officer Holongwane – 073 879 2163.
• Romi Reineke of Daventry Court volunteered to represent us at the Community Policing Forum at Hillbrow Police Station. Wayne will try to arrange an introduction and a briefing for her with the CPF chairman.
• Please call the police immediately when you notice illegal or suspicious behaviour. It doesn’t help to call them a few days later to complain. We also need photographic evidence where possible, to help with identifications and prosecutions.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Councillor Huggett gave some feedback. It was noted that many municipal departments are short staffed and are struggling, but we need to get service delivery in Killarney as well.
• Councillor Huggett reported that JMPD is prioritising land invasions at present, because once invaders become established they are much more difficult to deal with, but JMPD will still respond to our own concerns as soon as they can.
• It was reported that the street-lamps are slow to be repaired, in part because they ran out of the special light-bulbs required. This will be sorted out soon.
• It was reported that the timer switches on some street-lamp circuits have blown, and are needing to be replaced.
• It was reported that Joburg Water is outsourcing pavement repairs to JRA to fix for them, and JRA are short-staffed – some senior people are on suspension as well.
• Somebody dug a substantial trench in the pavement in 2nd Street, cnr 2nd Ave, a long time ago, then did nothing further. The trench is now collapsing from all the rain, and pedestrians have to walk in the street.
• City Power dug up the pavement in 2nd Ave, cnr 5th Street, many weeks ago to repair a cable fault. The pavement has been back-filled, but not repaved, and the irregular surface is very hazardous to pedestrians.
• The water pressure in 5th Street and 3rd Street is drastically reduced every night, after around 8:45pm. It works fine in the day, but is much reduced at night. Please can the problem be identified ASAP?
• Clr Huggett was asked to emphasise the need for replacing stolen manhole covers.
• Clr Huggett was asked to address the gatherings – and camping – which is increasingly taking place on the pavement of the golf course, right at the motorway onramp. These gatherings sometimes include children.
• Clr Huggett was asked to obtain written permission for us to fix potholes on pavements and roads ourselves, as some pavements have become very unsafe.
• Councillor Huggett can be contacted by the community at any time, by SMS or Whatsapp, on 071 785 8068.

7. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• The project to clean up the trees on the pavements has yielded good results, and almost all the trees have been cleaned up. However new illegal advertising signs keep appearing, and we ask all residents please to keep an eye on the trees in your vicinity.
• Please also remove any rubble or rubbish which gets dumped illegally on your pavement, because if it is left there for any length of time the area rapidly develops into a dumpsite for all kinds of litter. Please call Philemon at the municipality on 071 855 4605 to report illegal dumping, and they will hopefully come to remove it.
• The repair of the park benches has been started. The deposit has been paid.
• The repainting of the street names on kerb-stones has been finished. The final cost was R11,475.
• It was resolved to add a top-up of fresh sand to the sandpit in the park play area, at a cost of about R8,500. There are issues with the size of the delivery truck, as the park gate is very narrow, and this is delaying our process and complicating the costing.
• Please report problems of potholes and pavements to the JRA at http://www.jra.org.za/find-and-fix-mobile-app, or call 011 375 5555.
• Please also use the number 0860 562 874 to report all road and pavement-related problems to the municipality. This includes all cases of rubble being dumped on pavements, potholes in roads or pavements, road signs in need of repair, streetlights not working, blocked storm-drains, or traffic lights out of order. You can also report all of these issues to the call centre hotline number – 080 872 3342. Please keep the reference numbers for follow-up.

8. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• The 2018 invoices for membership subscriptions have been sent out. Thus far 18 buildings have already paid the 2018 subscription. Your support for the year ahead would be very much appreciated.

9. GENERAL
Mike Kalk explained that he is a distributor of a product called Wellan 2000, which works to reduce scaling and rust in pipes. Mike will meet with individual trustees to explain the product in detail – please let us know if you are interested.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for hosting us.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 16 MAY 2018 at 5pm

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS

JMPD call centre hotline number – 080 872 3342
City emergency hotline on 011 375 5911
SAPS patrol van – 071 675 6001
If you get no response from the patrol van, please call 10111
Councillor Huggett by SMS or Whatsapp – 071 785 8068