The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 18th APRIL 2012

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 18 APRIL 2012 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chairman); Charles Whyte; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Kayte Denham; Paul Denham; Debbie de Beer; Deleen Levy; Steve Mendelsohn; Mike Kalk; Trish Terry; Dean Dada (RCS); Margaret Constantaras; Matildhe Margolis; Clr M Ravid; Dalien Rutenberg; Rochelle Aaron; Barney Gordon; Sue Prior; Celeste Mulholland.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
• Clr Myeni; Lorna Cooper; Celeste Williams; George Kymdell; David Spencer; Yogan Naidoo; Bronwyn Greene; David Kramer.

3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read. Some corrections were agreed upon, and the minutes were approved.
• It was noted that the March meeting had been cancelled due to all the public holidays.

4. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy did not have detailed crime statistics, but reported that car theft and theft out of vehicles is still a problem. The car thefts are spread through the area, and take place at any time of day or night. In addition to the car theft problem, there was also a housebreaking, and two common robberies. It was reported that the worker in the Mall who was stabbed recently by an associate, is recovering well.
• Captain Moonsamy did investigate the car-repair business in the municipal parking lot in Main Road. However this appears to be a by-law issue, and is thus in JMPD’s jurisdiction. Clr Ravid will assist us to identify the JMPD official responsible for our area, who we will then contact re the issue.
• It was confirmed that fafee in the park is definitely illegal. Please could the community assist the SAPS to identify the licence plate numbers of the two cars that are being used in this activity, and the times at which these cars visit our park.
• The SAPS are conducting on-going activities in The Wilds, to deter criminals.
• Captain Moonsamy once again asked for volunteers to join the reservists, and for people to come forward with information about crimes and criminals.
• Dean Dada of RCS Security Services made a presentation re a proposed community security initiative. It was agreed that the proposed service was unaffordable, as the NKRA has limited financial resources. It was agreed that focused projects in small areas would be more affordable and feasible. Dean will discuss with Celeste the potential to set up a focused project in 8th, 9th and 10th Streets, which area has many buildings but only two exits. Another project may also be feasible in the cul-de-sac of North Road. Buildings who are unhappy with their current service providers can contact Dean to provide services to their buildings directly. RCS also provide maintenance and cleaning services.

5. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Clr Myeni has apologised.
• Clr Ravid reported that the Council is struggling with finances, and this will continue to negatively affect service delivery in 2012.
• The Council is again holding its Integrated Development Plan (IDP) and Budget Consultation process. The Region E meeting will be held on Saturday, 5 May, at Paterson Park, from 09h00 – 13h30. The program will address Good Governance, Economic Growth, Human and Social Development and Sustainable Services. Killarney-Riviera can send 5 delegates. If you wish to attend please contact Clr Ravid.
• Clr Ravid will follow up on the matter of the used-car repair business in the Main Road municipal parking lot.

6. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• In order to pursue the installation of traffic calming measures at the intersection of 3rd Street and 2nd Ave, a traffic study will first have to be performed. This will cost about R15,000. The cost of installing actual structures will be extra. It was agreed to conduct this study, as the traffic dangers at this intersection are significant.
• Our bus route petition will need to be postponed, as the Metro Bus Service is being restructured. Clr Ravid will keep us informed of progress.
• The Gautrain company is proposing to route the GauBus service through Riviera and Killarney, and to stop at the Mall. The meeting supported this initiative, but requested that the route follow Oxford Road up to Riviera Road, rather than along Main Road.
• There has been no further progress with the taxi rank.
• Captain Moonsamy was asked to investigate a trucking company who are training their learner drivers in 8th Street and 9th Street.

7. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• Kayte Denham of Pam Golding Properties was warmly thanked for securing 14 new pavement trees for Killarney-Riviera. The community was requested to continue to water all the new pavement trees through the winter, even when they lose their leaves.
• The pavement and pothole repairs project was completed successfully. We do not have the finances to do this again until next year.
• It was reported that the roots of the pavement trees have made the pavements unsafe for pedestrians on the south side of 3rd Street, between Killarney Road and 2nd Avenue. Clr Ravid will ask City Parks to look into this.
• Our recycling contractor has disappeared. We are looking for a new contractor. Please let us know if you have any such contacts. Two buildings recently got a good service from Mama She (Carmen on 076 041 6764). They are also well recommended by the Craighall Residents’ Association. If a lot of buildings participate, the costs will be more viable for all.
• The sewer in the 4th Street Park is continuing to leak sewage into 2nd Avenue. Clr Ravid was asked please to follow up yet again with City Parks.

8. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• The treasurer reported that our finances are not sufficient to conduct many more projects. We need to be mindful that we have signed a binding contract with Enigma for street cleaning.
• Invoices are being sent out to those buildings that have made donations in the past, but the response has been less favourable than in previous years.
• A focused marketing project will be considered.

9. GENERAL
• The chairman of Killarney Park will be requested once more to ensure that the 4th Street Park is not locked any earlier than was agreed.
• Charles was asked to liaise with the trustees of Daventry Court to ensure the new security flood-light does not waste electricity unnecessarily.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 16 MAY 2012

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS