The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 17th JUNE 2015

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 17th JUNE 2015
AT 17H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chairman); Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Raphael Ndlovu; Deon Pelser; Councillor M Ravid; Mike Kalk; Kayte Denham; Jo Marais; Charles Whyte; Laurence Sachs; Debbie de Beer, Abe Sher, Margaret Urban; Rochester Shem; Edna Peres, Adam Golding; Alexandra Leisegang.

1. WELCOME
The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Dean Dada; Hussein Dudhia; Barbara Buntman; Celeste Mulholland; Audrey & Frank Kobrin; Harry Rutenburg; David Kramer; Jill Bonner; Trish Terry.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• We will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish by 6pm.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy presented the detailed crime statistics since the last meeting. The crimes included: 3 assaults; 2 attempted thefts of vehicles; 1 business robbery; 1 malicious damage to property; 3 thefts out of vehicles; 9 thefts of vehicles.
• The thefts of vehicles were again very high this month, with different kinds of vehicles being targeted, at all hours and in all streets. It’s almost certainly the work of a syndicate.
• A Crime Awareness Campaign is needed, to sharpen awareness yet again. As always, the police advise that vehicles which are parked in the street must be properly secured and guarded, and that you don’t leave valuables in sight. Cameras are valuable in tracing the thieves afterwards, but only if they are high-resolution cameras which are able to record the registration plates of the thieves’ own cars. More lights are needed in some areas, but City Power is struggling, so if you have dangerous dark spots near your building please install additional LED flood-lights to protect yourselves and your visitors.
• Don’t carry lots of cash or valuables in your car – the gangs have inside information, and they specifically target people who are wearing expensive jewellery or who are carrying cash or other high-value goods.
• There was a success where the Flying Squad caught car thieves in the act in Oxford Road, and one man was arrested.
• If you happen to notice a suspicious activity in progress, please contact the SAPS patrol van IMMEDIATELY on 071 675 6001. It doesn’t help to call the police a few days later. You can also report your concerns to Captain Moonsamy on 071 675 6000. If it’s an emergency, call 10111 (112 on a cell-phone).
• A task team was created, including Abe Sher, Laurence Sachs and Deon Pelser, to speak with Vumatel and security companies about a suburb-wide camera system linked by fibre-optic.
• It was suggested to form a Whatsapp group or groups to help fight crime. The task team will look into this as well.
• There are regular dagga smokers in the park these days. Captain Moonsamy will talk to Debbie about getting camera footage from Killarney Park, and setting up a raid.
• Alexandra Leisegang was appointed as the designated representative to represent Killarney-Riviera at the Hillbrow CPF.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• The dangerous pavement excavation in 4th Ave has been reported several times, and action has been promised repeatedly.
• The cost increases for municipal services will take effect in July, and will be quite severe.
• Clr Ravid was asked to keep the pressure on City Power to fix street lights.
• Everyone is encouraged to report problems to the municipal hotline – 011 375 5555. Please obtain, and retain, the reference numbers.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• It was reported that the subsidence of the road surface in 10th Street is getting worse.
• This is a particular concern due to the extreme slope of that embankment, and the fact that the embankment is eroding steadily. In particular there are boulders on that slope that could roll down at any time. Clr Ravid was asked to secure urgent attention from the municipality.
• Clr Ravid was asked about the possibility of getting speed-humps in 5th Street, where cars are inclined to race along in rush hour. Clr Ravid will investigate the process and the appropriate contact persons.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• Edna’s Park Revitalisation Team has obtained ten new benches for the park – many thanks to Edna and her team!
• However City Parks are still ambivalent about their ability to supply playground equipment, although they support us doing this ourselves.
• Kayte has secured sponsorship from Pam Golding Properties to put a sweeper/gardener in the park 4 days a week. He has already made a huge difference. Many thanks to Kayte and Pam Golding Properties!
• Kayte will provide the sweeper with a cell-phone, so that he can call the police or the Killarney Park caretaker if he notices a serious problem.
• We will ask City Parks to move the existing derelict water fountain to the far end of the park near the plaque, and to connect it up again with non-recyclable pipes.
• The next Environmental Think Tank meeting will be on 1 July 2015.
• The Vumatel fibre-optic project is on track. New manholes are already being installed in 1st Street and Riviera Road. There is however a hiccup with the JRA on digging the trenches which will cross over streets.
• Vumatel can be contacted at Killarney@vumatel.co.za or 086100VUMA, or check their website at www.vumatel.co.za

10. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Two additional buildings have joined up since last month.
• We thank all the buildings who have contributed, and we ask community-minded citizens in other buildings please to persuade your trustees to contribute as well.

11. GENERAL
• With the cost of electricity going up drastically, and with this trend likely to continue for the foreseeable future, investing in saving energy is becoming increasingly cost-effective. Charles has done a lot of research on this – you can contact him to get the results of his research if you are interested.
• It was resolved to create a database of power-saving ideas and contacts. If you have done any research on this for your building, or can recommend suppliers, please would you let us know?
• Laurence and Edna will contact Gabriel again, to get specific inputs from him.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 15 JULY 2015 AT 5PM

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS