The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 17th FEBRUARY 2016

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 17 FEBRUARY 2016 AT 17H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (chairman); Estelle Jacobs; Katia Lodder; Dalien Rutenburg; Raphael Ndlovu; David Kramer; Mia Snyman; Ruth Kuper; Edna Peres; Paul Denham; Alexandra Leisegang; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Trish Terry; Deon Pelser; Lenti Morison; Harry Rutenburg; Kayte Denham; Mike Kalk; Johan Malherbe; Joseph Matje.

1. WELCOME
The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Peter Merzbacher; Margaret Urban; Dean Dada; Laurence Sachs.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• We will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish by 6pm.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy reported on the crime statistics: 2 theft of vehicles; 2 theft out of vehicles; 3 shoplifting; 3 malicious damage to property; 1 fraud; 1 common robbery; 1 robbery with firearm; 3 theft general; and 1 drunken driving arrest.
• A case where a police officer was caught on camera breaking the by-laws in Killarney, is under internal investigation.
• The recent case of arson and other crimes in Park Ave is still under investigation.
• The latest JMPD co-ordinating officer for our region is Sgt Mosekwane on 084 031 2153.
• The SAPS have confirmed that if hawkers leave rocks, boards, rags or other such materials on our pavements, it can be removed overnight and dumped as rubbish.
• The storm-drain in 3rd Street near Pick ‘n Pay is being used as storage by hawkers. This can cause blockages when it rains, which will flood the streets.
• The water valve in 3rd Street near Pick ‘n Pay is still being broken open by car-washers to get access to free water – this also results in leaks and wastage.
• There already is a security company forum for the Hillbrow Police Station – most major security companies are members.
• If you notice a suspicious activity anywhere in the area, please call the police patrol van immediately, so that the perpetrators can be caught red-handed. 071 675 6001.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Cllr Mia Snyman reported that she has conducted an inspection of our area, together with the relevant JMPD officials. A list of problems has been compiled, and logged for action. This includes the potholes and the Telkom excavations.
• Vumatel has finished repairing every trench they have dug, except for the paving outside Dukes Court in 2nd Ave. All other trenches are by Telkom.
• The councillor will request JRA to restore the speed-humps in 4th Ave, between 4th Street and 5th Street, to their original size, as this road has since become much busier, and it’s become quite dangerous to cross the road or to get a car in or out of a garage. A traffic circle was requested long ago, but was declined because of the safety issues at that uneven intersection. A raised pedestrian crossing could perhaps be considered in 4th Ave instead.
• The exposed wiring in the lamp post in 2nd Ave, near the corner of 1st Street, is dangerous, and needs attention again please.
• Clr Snyman will ask the JRA to investigate building a formal taxi area in River Road, opposite the mall on the golf-course pavement.
• A large hole is growing again in West Street.
• There are water leaks in 4th Ave, in the roadway at the intersection of 3rd Street as well as on the pavement between 1st Street and 2nd Street.
• Clr Snyman was asked to arrange an inspection of the dilapidated buildings of Lhenveolan and Martindale Mews, under the Problem Properties By-law, with a view to getting them fixed up.
• Clr Snyman was asked to investigate the options to develop the abandoned electrical sub-station in Riviera.

7. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• The new jungle-gym for the children has been installed in the park. We have been authorised to use playground sand as a “safety mat” instead of concrete and rubber, which is much cheaper, as well as softer. It also allows us to use the area underneath the jungle-gym as a sand-pit for smaller children to play in. This will be finished soon.
• The Pam Golding Properties Outstanding Verge Competition was won by Hanover Gate, with Glenhof Gardens in second place and Christina Court third. Well done to those buildings – they are all worthy medallists! Well done also to other buildings such as Killarney Park and Brenthurst Court and Devon Place and Rapallo and Santa Margherita, who have done much to improve our area as well although they narrowly finished outside the medals, and to all the other buildings that really made an effort. Many thanks in particular to Kayte Denham and Pam Golding Properties for once again sponsoring this worthwhile initiative!
• The pavement bins have been cleaned out by an NKRA project, to reduce the overflow. The bins were all cleaned out a few years ago, but some bins were once again full almost to the brim with compacted muck and rubble. The work was done by staff from Rapallo, for a small fee. Please could you all advise your employees NOT to put leaves and sand and other debris in those pavement bins when they sweep the pavements – PikiTup doesn’t remove that material and it is left to accumulate.
• A new Facebook page has been created, to facilitate communication between residents. To join the group please send an email to welovekillarney@gmail.com including the name of the building in which you live. We will then add that email address to the group, and you will be able to interact freely from then on.
• The project to make the new park drinking fountain into a “functional artwork” is still in progress. We are researching a methodology which will survive the rigours of public wear and tear, as well as exposure to mud and the elements. The proposed artwork will portray various depictions of some of the wild birds found in the Park. The cost of the art project will be about R5000, for the account of the NKRA.
• A suggestion has been made to purchase the dilapidated buildings of Lhenveolan and Martindale Mews from their current owners, so as to fix them up and save the community from further deterioration. A large amount of money will be needed – please let us know if you can participate.

10. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• No new buildings have joined the NKRA since last month.

11. GENERAL
• 2016 is the centenary of the old Killarney Film Studios, and the mall is celebrating its half-centenary this year as well – Katia will discuss with the mall owners the options to hold a commemorative event.
• It was agreed to hold a party to celebrate all residents who are over the age of 100. Katia will speak to various restaurants to investigate options. Some of the senior citizens might have special dietary requirements.
• Katia has some sponsored trolleys left –please let us know if you would like an extra trolley.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 16 March 2016 at 5pm

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS