The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 17th APRIL 2013

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 17 APRIL 2013 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chair); Kayte Denham; Deleen Levy; Jo Marais; Ruth Kuper; Abe Sher; Charles Whyte; Harry Rutenberg; Dalien Rutenberg; Rochelle Aaron; Mike Kalk; Shaun Oakes; Clare Oakes; Raphael Ndlovu; Robyn Higgens; Lesley Buckley; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Clr M Ravid (Ward 73); Clr S Myeki (Ward 67).

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Yogan Naidoo; Moggi Lewis; Trish Terry; Vivian Darko; George Kymdell; Frank Kobrin, Audrey Kobrin.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• It was noted that the Mall has requested us to finish by 6pm. As we are guests here, we will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish on time.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy presented the statistics for the past four weeks or so. This month we suffered 2 thefts of vehicles, 4 thefts out of vehicles, 1 burglary, 2 frauds, 6 thefts in the mall, 2 other thefts, and 3 damages to property (in the mall). The SAPS once again urge vigilance – please park in front of the guards wherever possible, park under lights where possible, park in front of cameras where possible, and don’t ever leave valuables inside the car, even when driving.
• Our smash-&-grab hotspots are at the intersection of Houghton Drive and Newton Road, and at the M1 off-ramp into Riviera Road.
• The police patrol van number is 071 675 6001. If they don’t answer, please call the sector patrol commander on 011 488 6517, or else call 10111.
• The hawkers, taxis, soccer players and beggars are the responsibility of JMPD. The SAPS are not allowed to harass these people, as they are not committing crimes. Please call the JMPD call centre on 011 378 1000 for all by-law issues – the more complaints we lodge, the more likely that we will get some response.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Clr Ravid was again asked please to push for the finalisation of water repairs in 4th Ave and in Riviera Road, as well as for visible signage to warn motorists about traffic islands in Riviera Road and in 4th Ave.
• Clr Myeki attended for the first time, as was welcomed. He was asked please to push for a clean-up of the garbage in the car-park in 7th Street cnr 4th Ave, and on the adjacent motorway embankment, as well as the removal of the weeds on the traffic islands in Houghton Drive alongside The Wilds.
• Both councillors were asked to push JMPD for more by-law enforcement, and for the Oxford Road pavements to be cleaned up.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• Further road repairs are still required in Oxford Road, 4th Ave cnr Riviera Road, Riviera Road cnr Killarney Road, and in 8th Ave near Oxford Road. If you happen to notice more potholes, the link to report them is on our NKRA website at www.nkra.org.za .
• Hawkers, soccer players, beggars and taxis are by-law offences, they are not crimes. These offences are NOT under the authority of the SAPS, unless they are committing crimes – by-law offences are the responsibility of the JMPD.
• A petition has been prepared asking for better by-law enforcement, particularly around the illegal taxi rank. It is being delivered to all buildings, but will also now be emailed to everyone on the mailing list. Please circulate this throughout your building, and help us to get as many signatures as possible.
• We need to repaint the street names. Charles will investigate the costing for us.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• As part of our Centenary Project, we are preparing a coffee-table booklet highlighting the heritage of Killarney-Riviera and its buildings. This will be done in conjunction with the Egoli Heritage Foundation. When finished we would like it to have on average a page per building, but the more historic buildings will have lots more detail than that. Please send us your inputs on your various buildings.
• We still have to get Parks Department approval for the Heritage Day event in the park. We also need to get approval to plant a tree. Kayte is pursuing this for us.
• The event will hopefully include the craft market and organic food market that normally operates in the mall. Robyn will check out the park, and give us her inputs on that part of the process.
• The initiation process to qualify for a 20% rebate on municipal rates will be circulated to all by email. Please respond to Wayne.
• We have obtained a quote of R2700 to clear out every one of our 50-something rubbish bins of all the accumulated sand and rubble and compacted rotting garbage. Wayne will continue to manage this process.
• We have requested a number of additional pavement bins from Pikitup, but thusfar have seen no progress.
• We have created a “Suppliers Referrals” page on our website, at www.nkra.org.za . If you have received very good service from a supplier and you wish to recommend them to your neighbours, please let us know.
• The GauBus service will be reviewed after three months, and routes and stops will be revised. Please be patient until then, and please let us have your feedback on this service. The bus circulates every 20 minutes, weekdays only, and it costs R6 if you are using the train, and R20 if you are just using the bus.

9. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Jo Marais needs the Barkley Square invoice to be sent in a lower level of MSExcel, as she doesn’t have the newer software.

10. GENERAL
• The application by Great Martinhall Manor to erect a 15m cell-phone tower on their roof has been approved by the Council, despite our objections. There appears to be little hope of having this decision rescinded.
• The traffic warning sign that was flattened at the corner of 2nd Ave and 2nd Street has still not been repaired.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 15 MAY 2013 AT 5PM!!!!

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS