The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 16th MARCH 2011

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)

ON WEDNESDAY 16 MARCH 2011 AT 18H00

 

 

PRESENT:     Wayne Ford (Chairman)

Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Charles Whyte; Jo Marais; Henry Rudsinski; Jacques Stoltz; Councillor Marcelle Ravid; Dave Spencer; Cheryl Sack; Christa Roller.

 

1.    WELCOME

The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting, and thanked the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

 

2.    APOLOGIES

Audrey Kobrin; Frank Kobrin; George Kymdell; Barry Milner; Rob Milne; Steve Mendelsohn;, Charlotte Danby, Margie Naidoo.

 

3.    APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

 

4.    SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

§   Captain Moonsamy reported that the crime stats since the last meeting included 1 burglary, 4 thefts of vehicles, and 2 thefts out of vehicles.

§   Captain Moonsamy again urged all residents to report their crimes and all other concerns promptly, otherwise the statistics can become inaccurate and misleading.

§   A stolen car was recovered in Killarney, within an hour of the theft.

§   A hawker was arrested for public drinking, and some illegal cigarettes were confiscated.

§   A loiterer was arrested for possession of smash-&-grab equipment and a stolen phone.

§   A resident was arrested for smoking dagga inside a building.

§   Vagrants are being arrested whenever they break the law. Street patrollers from Hillbrow will be brought into Killarney from time to time, to patrol parks and pavements. These people are trained by the police and operate with the police, so please don’t be afraid of them.

§   Residents are urged to contact Captain Moonsamy immediately when they notice any drinking or drug or alcohol-selling, so that the criminals can be caught red-handed. 071 675 6000.

§   Residents are urged to give the cell-phone number of the police van to their security guards, so that they can call for backup in time of need. The number is 071 675 6001. It was suggested that buildings should provide a phone for their guards, to ensure they are able to contact the police van promptly in time of need.

§   A project is in progress to print and distribute notices to all units in all buildings listing the main police numbers, for easy reference. Thank you to Leapfrog Properties for sponsoring this important project. Other Security and Awareness projects are also being investigated.

§   All buildings are asked to provide the NKRA with a contact email address for their caretaker, so that they can be easily contacted by the SAPS re crime patterns and crimes in progress.

§   Buildings that have cameras are asked to install an extra camera covering the visitors’ cars outside in the street, as this is a major source of crime in Killarney.

§   JM will approach Nedbank to see if a camera could be arranged to watch the intersection of Newton Road and Houghton Drive, where most of our smash-&-grab incidents occur.

§   Please keep an eye on the hawker who appears on some evenings at the corner of 2nd Avenue and 2nd Street, outside Dukes Court. She is rumoured to sell dagga.

§   Please be aware of what is happening in your yard and garage, and on your roof. If you have concerns about unwelcome visitors, please call Captain Moonsamy to arrange a police visit.

§   Please be aware of what is happening on your neighbour’s roof as well, as they can’t always see on top of their own roof. If you notice suspicious activities, please contact either the neighbour in question, or the NKRA (who will notify the owners).

§   If you live alongside the motorway, please note that criminals tunnel under the fence bordering the motorway to get access to buildings. Regular inspections are recommended.

§   The Community Policing Forum has resolved all constitutional issues, and the CPF AGM will be held before the end of May.

§   Captain Moonsamy was asked to address the evening rush-hour hawkers at the corner of Riviera Road and 4th Avenue, who are harassing pedestrians and hindering traffic.

§   Residents are asked to be alert to the following cars, which belong to car-theft syndicates. Please call Captain Moonsamy or the patrol vehicle if you see any of these cars:

  •  
    • White Nissan 1400 bakkie, 3 Black males;
    • Green Jetta with 3 or 4 occupants;
    • Blue Audi A3, 1 Indian male and 1 Coloured male;
    • Green Combi Caravelle with 3 occupants;
    • Blue Nissan Sentra – PFV 441 GP.

 

5.    TRAFFIC ISSUES

§   There has been no further progress re the illegal taxi rank. This is going to be a slow project.

§   There has been no progress yet with our proposed additional traffic-safety projects, as the traffic engineer we have been using has resigned. It was agreed that we would continue the project with a different traffic engineer.

§   It was agreed that Jo Marais would try to arrange a meeting with JRA to ask for a 4-Way Stop at the corner of 3rd Street and 4th Avenue.

 

6.    ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

§   The NKRA has trimmed the hedge along the Riviera Road border of Martindale Mews. The internal gardener has since trimmed it even further.

§   The NKRA has arranged for the wall along the 1st Street border of Martindale Mews to be repainted this week, weather permitting.

§   Leapfrog Properties is sponsoring a pavement-cleaning project, aimed at weeds and litter. The cleaner works one day a week, and cleans as much pavement as they can manage in the day. Please contact Leapfrog to report pavements that need urgent attention – 073 194 6532. Big Thanks to Leapfrog Properties for this valuable project as well.

§   Re the park in 4th Street, a petition is being prepared to extend the closing times of the park, and to obtain rezoning so that dogs can run free off the leash. The petition has not yet been finalised, but so far a fair amount of resistance has been registered to both proposals. The free-dogs issue is a concern because of the additional noise which is generated when dogs confront pedestrians and each other, and when their owners call to them. It was noted that the acoustics in the park are impressive, and noise really carries. The extended hours are a concern re security, in particular the threat of burglars hiding in the park and gaining access to buildings that border the park after the park is locked (this did happen in the past). Leaving the park open later also extends the period of the noise.

§   Concern has been raised about new razor wire on the Martinhall Manor fence in Oxford Road, which is apparently at a height and width which is dangerous to passing pedestrians. Charles will investigate, and give detailed feedback to Clr Ravid so that action can be taken.

§   Concern was raised about the subsiding embankment on the vacant land in 10th Street, on the way up the ridge behind Knightsbridge. Charles will obtain a specific JMPD contact number for Henry to pursue. Does anybody know who owns that land please?

§   Killarney Mall is prepared to make available long-term parking to residents, in the open lot alongside Whitehall Court. Details re security etc still have to be worked out. Please contact Wendy Wheeler on wendy@interpark.co.za if you are interested. The cost will probably be around R275 per month.

 

7.    FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

§   Nothing new to report.

§   WF will check with SM re how much of the invoicing has been done so far.

 

8.    GENERAL

§   The latest newsletter is being delivered, and you should all get one soon.

§   Buildings are reminded that it’s a legal requirement to have an annual inspection by an independent fire inspector, who checks fire escapes, fire hoses etc.

§   Smoke detectors are also recommended in garages and inside units, because a fire in a unit while the owner is at work can cause danger and destruction to many other units.

 

 

The meeting was closed, with thanks to all who attended.

 

Our next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 20 APRIL 2011 AT 18H00

 

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS

 

PLEASE CHECK YOU ARE REGISTERED TO VOTE –AT www.elections.org.za.