The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 16th JULY 2014

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 16 JULY 2014 AT 17H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chair); Raphael Ndlovu; Jill Bronner; Ruth Kuper; Jo Marais; Charles Whyte; Laurence Sachs; Deon Pelser; Yogan Naidoo; Paddy Padayachee; Trish Terry.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Clr M Ravid; Captain Moonsamy; Mike Kalk; Keith Edmeades; Bryce Reilly; Harry Rutenberg; Dean Dada; Frank and Audrey Kobrin.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• It was noted that the Mall has requested us to finish by 6pm. As we are guests here, we will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish on time.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy is on leave, and was not present to present the crime statistics.
• There were no particular crime issues of concern, other than the usual car-theft and burglaries of opportunity.
• We need to keep advising JMPD of specific by-laws concerns. Please SMS your by-law concerns to Councillor Ravid, who will be our contact person – 084 355 0826.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• There were no councillors present – Clr Ravid had apologised.
• The Lhenveolan building has been reported to Clr Ravid as a problem building in terms of the new by-laws. Clr Ravid will follow this up to determine the appropriate process to be followed.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• No manholes were fixed since the last meeting that we are aware of.
• However several small potholes had indeed been repaired since the last meeting.
• The subsidence in 4th Ave cnr Riviera Road continues to worsen.
• We have not yet received any feedback on our request for turning arrows in Riviera Road cnr Main Road.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• We have been granted permission from City Parks to hold a Spring Day event in the 4th Street Park on Sunday 28 September, subject to various conditions. Kayte Denham of Pam Golding Properties has undertaken to sponsor the admin fee charged by City Parks for this event, which is much higher than what they charged us last year. Many thanks to Kayte.
• Trish Terry of Lew Geffen Sotheby’s International Realty confirmed that their inflatable jumping-castle has been booked and will be available – many thanks to Trish for making this available.
• Dean Dada of RCS Risk Control Services will make available a food caravan. Wayne has spoken to some other food vendors who were tentatively supportive, but must still approach Ocean Basket, who had been eager to participate again as well.
• We will ask our contacts in Rapallo to ask the “accordion-lady” – Mrs Laura Angeli – if she would be prepared to make an appearance again this year.
• Hugh Masekela apparently now lives in Glenhof – we will ask our contacts in Glenhof to approach him re making a possible cameo appearance.
• The Daventry Court building has managed to obtain a heritage plaque. The unveiling will be done on the morning of 28 September, to coincide with the Spring Day event.
• We have not yet received any response on our request for more plants and playground equipment. Clr Ravid is asked to again pursue this with City Parks please.
• Laurence Sachs and Raphael Ndlovu of Whitehall Court are working to find ways to improve the cleanliness of the park, and to identify the citizen who is currently paying a sweeper to clean the park once a week. The meeting noted with appreciation that several Whitehall Court residents are making valuable contributions to the suburb and to the NKRA, despite past tensions with certain individuals in that building. Laurence and Raphael were thanked for their various efforts.
• The initiative to beautify the corner of 2nd Street and 2nd Ave is making steady progress. The new fence has been installed, and all we need is the compost before we can start planting. It was agreed that the galvanised steel finish has a very glaring appearance in direct sunlight, and the meeting discussed the possibility of painting it a darker shade so that it can be less visible. Deon agree that painting was in the plan, although some at the meeting felt a painted fence would increase the maintenance requirement. As this is Brenthurst’s fence, we will leave it to them to decide.
• It was suggested that bougainvillea be planted around the fence to grow on the fence and cover it with colour. Trish will contact various suppliers to ask about the suitability and cost of various creepers and shrubs.
• Please let us know if you are still willing and able to donate plants to beautify this new garden.
• The parking lot in 7th Street and the adjacent motorway embankment have been thoroughly cleaned by RCS services, and it looks very much better! The project was paid for by Chibby Glacey from Santa Margherita – many thanks indeed to Chibby! Various buildings in that vicinity are now working together to keep it clean permanently, as the government is seemingly unable to do their job properly on their own.

9. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Paul Denham is undertaking an initiative to obtain the contact details of the trustees of the other buildings, so that we can address our appeals more effectively. Paul was not present to report on progress.
• It was noted that we are running out of funds to continue the NKRA Sweeping Project. Wayne is working to secure a sponsor for this project.
• Yogan Naidoo of Dukes Court volunteered to make a donation to support our finances a bit further – many thanks indeed to Yogan.
• We will try to get an article into the Killarney Gazette, to improve the profile of the NKRA and hopefully to attract further members.

10 GENERAL
• Yogan Naidoo asked for recommendations for a reliable garden service.
• Wayne will be on holiday at the time of the August meeting, so Charles will chair the August meeting.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 20 AUGUST 2014 AT 5PM

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS