The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 16th FEBRUARY 2011

Our pavement weeding service is sponsored by Leapfrog Properties

Our pavement weeding project is sponsored by Leapfrog Properties

.

.

.

DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)

ON WEDNESDAY 16 FEBRUARY 2011 AT 18H00

 

 

PRESENT:     Wayne Ford (Chairman)

Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Charles Whyte; Jo Marais; Henry Rudsinski; Helene Bell; Ruth Kuper; Jacques Stoltz; Clr Marcelle Ravid; Audrey Kobrin; Frank Kobrin; George Kymdell; Michael Kalk; Sgt Hlongwane (JMPD).

 

1.    WELCOME

The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting, and thanked the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom. The chair introduced Captain Moonsamy, who is our new SAPS Sector Manager. Captain Moonsamy is a Hillbrow veteran, and has already started work in Killarney. Warrant Officer Bester has been rotated to the Youth Desk.

 

2.    APOLOGIES

Herbert Prins; Barry Milner; Yogan Naidoo; JP Hansen; David Kramer; Robin Goveia, Steve Mendelsohn; Dave Spencer, Charlotte Danby.

 

3.    APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

 

4.    SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

§   Captain Moonsamy reported that the crime stats for January included 1 theft of vehicle, and 1 theft out of vehicle.

§   Captain Moonsamy described how the criminals had entered the parking lot of Martindale Mews when the gate broke down, indicating that they quickly become aware of these vulnerabilities. He also told the meeting that the thieves only break into cars in the Mall which are parked in areas the cameras can’t see, so always try to park within view of a camera.

§   All buildings are urged to give the cell-phone number of the police van to their security guards, so that they can call for backup in time of need. The number is 071 675 6001.

§   Captain Moonsamy warned people to be alert to pedestrians standing close to their car when they press the remote to lock the doors, as if somebody holds a door-handle open at that instant then that door won’t lock.

§   The police use the crime statistics to profile crime patterns and allocate resources. Captain Moonsamy asked people to please report their crimes and all other concerns promptly, otherwise the statistics can become inaccurate and misleading.

§   The chair requested the Captain to ask the patrol vans not to sound their sirens randomly when passing the park, as the alcohol-sellers have learned not to be scared of the noise, but it does cause a disturbance to local buildings.

§   The chair thanked the community for the overwhelming response to the appeal for toys and blankets for the Victim Support Centre.

§   All buildings are asked to provide the NKRA with a contact number for their security company, so that they can be easily contacted by the SAPS re crime patterns and crimes in progress.

§   It was clarified that both SAPS and JMPD perform crime-prevention activities, but that only SAPS does detective work, and only JMPD does traffic and by-law enforcement.

 

5.    TRAFFIC ISSUES

§   A meeting has been held with the taxi association in 1st Street, in an attempt to create some momentum toward resolving the problems being caused by this illegal taxi rank. Some suggestions were made. Councillor Ravid was requested to check with the JRA what might be possible, and Lisa Seftel – Executive Director Transportation – has responded by promising to give us a formal response “soon”.

§   There has been no progress yet with our proposed additional traffic-safety projects, as the traffic engineer we have been using has stopped responding to our messages. It was agreed that we should seek out a new traffic engineer.

§   Councillor Ravid was asked to enquire about the possibility of having turning arrows installed on the traffic lights at the intersection of Main Road and Riviera Road.

§  Councillor Ravid and Sergeant Hlongwane were requested to urgently initiate a four-way stop at the intersection of 4th Avenue and 3rd Street, where a zig-zag in the road creates a dangerous blind intersection.

§   JMPD was given a list of concerns, and asked to follow up. These are as follows:

o   Taxi’s parking in front of private garages in 1st Street, corner Killarney Road;

o   Taxi’s stopping in the intersection of Riviera Road and Oxford Road;

o   Dangerous speeding down 4th Avenue;

o   Alcohol selling at corner 4th Ave and 7th Street, in the public toilets in 7th Street and in the 4th Street park;

o   Vagrants living on the motorway embankment;

o   Vagrants storing contraband in the maintenance hatches on the M1 bridges in 4th Avenue and in Anerley Road;

o   Hawkers in 4th Ave, from 7th Street down to Riviera Road;

o   Hawkers in Killarney Road, from Riviera Road down to 3rd Street;

o   Numerous by-law infringements in the 4th Street park;

o   Cooking fires in North Road.

§  Please report all other such concerns to Sergeant Soekani – 082 595 8543 – or to Sergeant Hlongwane – 078 893 0259.

 

6.    ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

§   The situation on the M1 embankment alongside the broken fence in 7th St has been cleaned up significantly – thanks to JRA for this. Although some people were arrested there recently for loitering, the vagrants still live there, so constant vigilance is required.

§   The Council has a program of temporary work for unemployed youth. This team has cut the grass and weeds all the way down 4th Avenue and Main Road from top to bottom, including the jungle on the pavement of Martinhall Manor. Many thanks for this unexpected service.

§   Re the distressing state of both pavements bordering Martindale Mews – the meeting noted once again that Dr Martin is responsible to maintain the exterior of his building, but that it is Killarney residents who suffer the unsightliness which results from this on-going neglect. Therefore, while the meeting resents Dr Martin’s inaction, it was agreed that the NKRA will pay to have the wall in 1st Street painted. It was also agreed that Jo will contact the Council to ask that the hedge in Riviera Road be trimmed back to the property line, as this hedge is now almost completely obstructing the pavement. It was further agreed that if Council decline to assist, the NKRA will hire a garden-service company to prune the hedge, and to cart away the clippings. Dr Martin has given us his permission for both of these projects.

§   Councillor Ravid was asked to press the Health Department for action re the mosquitos breeding freely in the Martindale Mews swimming pool. Dr Martin intends filling it in and making the area into a parking lot, but has not given any timetable for this work.

§   It was noted that many manhole covers are missing and have not yet been replaced. The intersection of 4th Ave and 5th Street is the most dangerous.

§   There are many places where drainage pipes under the pavements have collapsed, creating dangerous obstacles for pedestrians as well as for passengers alighting from cars. We need to draw up a register of all these locations.

§   There are serious water leaks in 7th Street, at the intersection with 4th Avenue and at the intersection with 3rd Street.

§   Non-functional streetlights can also be reported to 011 375 5918.

§   Re the park in 4th Street, the Parks Department has been requested to supervise more closely the operation of the public toilets. JMPD was asked to assist in policing by-laws in the park. As discussed last month, a petition is being prepared to change the closing times of the park, but meanwhile the residents need to set the example by obeying and supporting the by-laws, including re pets.

 

7.    FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

§   The treasurer was not present. However, it was reported that the financial records have been recovered from the former treasurer, and the audit will be conducted in the near future.

 

8.    GENERAL

§   The newsletter has been sent for publication, and will be on the street soon.

 

 

 

Our next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 16 MARCH 2011 AT 18H00

 

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS

 

PLEASE CHECK YOU ARE REGISTERED TO VOTE –AT www.elections.org.za.