The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 15th FEBRUARY 2012

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 15 FEBRUARY 2012 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chairman); Charles Whyte; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Adele Cohen; Kayte Denham; Paul Denham; Henry Rudzinske; Debbie de Beer; Deleen Levy; Barry Milner; Jo Marais; Audrey Kobrin; Frank Kobrin; Steve Mendelsohn; Margaret Naidoo; Gavin Botha; Mike Kalk; Trish Terry; Hillel Shever; Nazia Karrim.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
• Clr Marcelle Ravid; Matildhe Margolis; Lorna Cooper; Celeste Williams; George Kymdell; David Spencer; Yogan Naidoo; Margaret Constantaras; Marlon Moodey; David Kramer.

3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read. Some corrections were agreed upon, and the minutes were approved.

4. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy did not have detailed crime statistics, but reported that car theft and theft out of vehicles is definitely getting worse. The car thefts are spread through the area, and take place at any time of day or night. A long and emotional discussion then followed.
• A suggestion was made that Killarney be boomed off. However it was noted that this is not feasible, due to the design of the traffic flows in the area. People have a legal right to move freely along public roads and pavements through any suburb at any time, and cannot legally be compelled to justify their presence.
• It was agreed that Core-Tactical have succeeded in reducing crime in Glenhazel, but that this service is very expensive (In excess of R100,000 per month.) It was again noted that the NKRA has several times attempted to launch a community-security initiative, but that Killarney buildings have never been prepared to support such an initiative at anywhere near the level required to sustain such a project.
• It was also noted that hawkers and car-washers contribute to the risk, but that private security companies have no power to intervene on public roads unless a life is at risk.
• It was noted that Penny Steyn runs a program to teach maids and gardeners to be security conscious. Previous efforts to establish such a program in Killarney were not supported.
• The following action steps were agreed upon:
o All residents must be vigilant when driving or parking cars, and we must constantly remind our visitors and staff likewise. When you notice a suspicious-looking activity, call the police patrol van immediately on 071 675 6001, so that useful action can be taken.
o Information is needed to fight crime – please continue to report your suspicions to Captain Moonsamy on 071 675 6000.
o Buildings that are concerned about security must take steps to increase their own defences by expanding their private security service. This must include an armed response service, with lots of panic buttons. In this manner each building will have personal control over their immediate environment, and can control the costs themselves.
o Security guards are poorly paid, poorly motivated and vulnerable to intimidation and bribery. If you are not happy with the service you are currently receiving, terminate the contract and get a new service provider.
o Enforcing the by-laws will help to reduce crime overall. Captain Moonsamy will continue to press JMPD for more presence in Killarney. Wayne will work through the CPF structures to request that JMPD officers be dedicated to Killarney.
• The disturbances in 1st Street caused by illegals in Hyde Court have quietened down. The SAPS will continue to monitor the situation.
• Captain Moonsamy reported that he received a letter from a resident which accused him and all other police members of being corrupt. The meeting agreed that this was completely out of line, notwithstanding the understandable emotion from a victim of crime. The chairman apologised to Captain Moonsamy on behalf of the community, and thanked him for his valuable service.

5. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• There were no councillors in attendance at this meeting.

6. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• The project to improve traffic safety in 4th Ave and Main Road, is still not complete. Technical problems have been encountered, and new quotes have been received, which are very expensive. It was agreed that the revised quotes do not represent good value for money at this time, so this aspect of the 4th Ave project will be postponed indefinitely.
• It was agreed that we will actively pursue the installation of a small circle at the intersection of 3rd Street and 2nd Ave, where we have seen several serious accidents recently.
• The petition asking for a Metrobus Service in Killarney has received a lot of support. Wayne will co-ordinate with Councillor Ravid to take this forward.
• The damaged pavement road-signs in Killarney Road have been replaced.
• There has been no further progress with the taxi rank.

7. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• The new trees which City Parks have planted in the 4th Street Park are thriving with all the rain. Additional trees have been planted on pavements in three areas, where original trees have died along the way. It was noted that CastleRosse might need a new pavement tree.
• It was noted that somebody is spreading rumours that the pavement trees are to be removed. It was confirmed that some people are growing increasingly concerned about the fact that some heavy branches have been snapped off of pavement trees by strong winds recently, but that we have requested only that City Parks prune the pavement trees. Only City Parks can touch these trees – citizens are not allowed to prune pavement trees ourselves.
• The Sweeper Project has been extended to include the high-traffic pedestrian route of 4th Ave and Main Road.
• Buildings are again asked to promptly take inside the bags of litter gathered up by the PikiTup street sweepers, as these will otherwise soon be emptied out again by the scavengers.
• Lights project – Daventry Court has installed additional flood-lights in 1st Street. The cost of R3,748 was approved for payment.
• It was noted that the Council has made some effort to repair the various streets and pavements that have been dug up for various utility repairs. However more is required.
• A budget of R15,000 was approved to conduct further repairs on pavements and potholes. It was agreed to delay paving the weedy area at the corner of 7th St and 4th Ave until finances have improved, as this is unsightly but it’s not a safety priority.

8. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• The treasurer reported that our finances are not sufficient to conduct many more projects. We need to be mindful that we have signed a binding contract with Enigma for street cleaning.
• Invoices are being sent out to those buildings that have made donations in the past. Some addresses and contact persons have changed since last year.
• The non-contributing buildings will be identified, and their trustees approached re possible membership.

9. GENERAL
• Charles can be contacted re fire-marshal training and related matters.
• The storm-water drains need attention again – especially at the intersection of 3rd Street and 4th Ave – Councillor Ravid will be approached for assistance.
• The squatter at the corner of Riviera Road and Oxford Road has returned. A new squatter has also moved in to the bus shelter at that intersection. The squatter on the Houghton off-ramp of the M1S is still hanging on. Once again, action is needed from JMPD.
• There is a sewage leak at the public toilets in the 4th Street Park. Wayne will report it.
• City Parks should be approached re upgrading this park, perhaps with play-ground equipment.
• The disagreement between the dog-walkers and the park neighbours continues to continue. It was agreed that this emotional matter cannot be resolved in the NKRA meetings. Wayne will try to arrange a direct meeting between the two parties. It was noted that the dog-walkers will need to start adhering to the by-laws in full if there is to be any amicable progress here.

It was noted that the meeting has been unusually long and emotional, due mainly to the frustration with the car theft issue. While we have always followed a policy of informality and neighbourliness in our meetings over the years, we will need to be more formal from now on to ensure efficiency.

The meeting was closed at 20:08, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 21 MARCH 2012

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS