The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 15th AUGUST 2012

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 15 AUGUST 2012 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chair); Charles Whyte; Jo Marais; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Kayte Denham; David Spencer; Moggie Lewis; Deleen Levy; Raphael Ndlovu; Clr Marcelle Ravid; Vivian Darko; Captain Magowa (SAPS); and 10 members of the SAPS victim empowerment unit and youth desk.

1. WELCOME
• The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
• Steve Mendelsohn; Trish Terry; Hendrik Cloete (ADT); David Kramer; JP Hansen; Margie Naidoo.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• It was noted that we have been asked by our hosts to try to finish by 7pm if at all possible.
• As we are guests at this facility, we need to respect this request.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy presented a summary of the detailed crime statistics for the month. This month we suffered 4 vehicle-related thefts, 1 common assault, 1 case of damage to property, and multiple cases of shop-lifting and fraud at the mall. It was also noted that PikiTup wheelie-bins are being stolen from the pavements.
• Captain Moonsamy reported that police reservists are being used to guard the police station, to replace the external security guards used previously.
• Residents are again reminded to please call the police van immediately when you notice suspicious activity, and not to wait until later to complain, by which time nothing can be done. The SAPS patrol van is on 071 675 6001.
• Captain Magowa joined the meeting, along with 10 members of the youth desk and the victim empowerment unit. They were introduced. The meeting requested them to address certain priorities, namely children begging at intersections, youths playing football in the streets in the evenings, and children among the vagrants under the motorway overpass at Newton Road. The SAPS also undertook to work closely with the school in Oxford Road, to roll out programs against substance abuse and domestic violence.
• The Victim Empowerment Unit can be contacted on 076 495 9291, and the youth desk can be contacted on 073 175 6849.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• JMPD will from now on be allocating some of its personnel on a ward-basis, which should help to bring by-law enforcement closer to the people. However there is no indication yet when the program will commence.
• These allocations will need to cover all the various “sections” of the by-laws, including traffic, hawking, beggars, noise, littering etc.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• The new raised pedestrian crossing at the intersection of 3rd Street and 2nd Ave will be built shortly. The contractors are waiting to receive the road signs and other materials.
• Please note that, if you see a bus driving on a road where no bus route exists, you need to record the ID number of the bus, as well as the time of the offence, so that we can trace the drivers.
• The water-pipe repair excavation at the corner of 4th Ave and 5th Street has not yet been re-tarred. The various leaks and leak repairs in 4th Ave at the corner of Riviera Road are also still outstanding. Clr Ravid reported that the budget for such repairs has again been cut, so these repairs will probably not happen any time soon.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• We need a project to clear out the pavement bins. A number of these bins are more than half full of building rubble, placed there by successive renovators who can’t be bothered to take their rubbish to the dump like everyone else. PikiTup does not remove rubble from rubbish bins, only litter, so over time the bins fill up with rubble. This means they overflow quickly, and the excess litter ends up on our pavements, from whence it blows around in the wind. It was agreed that we should identify contractors willing to do the work, and get quotes. The contractor must be willing and able to remove the rubble to a dump site. The possibility was discussed of the NKRA hiring a skip for this purpose, but the bins are all over the suburb, and nobody will be happy to have a skip on their pavement. If anybody knows a man with a bakkie who would be interested to do this work for us, please send us their contact details.
• The large pavement trees have not yet been pruned. Wayne will follow up on this.
• We are happy to note that the new pavement trees are all in good health, and the little stinkwoods are producing their new shoots already.
• There has been no further progress re the proposed antennae to be built on the roof of Great Martinhall Manor in Riviera Road, cnr Oxford Road. We will continue to pursue this through the channels.
• Mentone Court, Daventry Court and Riviera Mansions have expressed interest in acquiring official heritage status. Charles and Kayte will continue to pursue this.
• It was noted that Killarney must be around 100 years old by now, as the African Film Productions studios were apparently built in 1915. It was agreed that some sort of a centenary celebration would be nice, but that the planning for such an affair would need to start quite far in advance. Charles will consult with Mr Prins to find out when Killarney was “begun”.

9. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Unless we are able to increase the amount of donations received, we will not have the funds to undertake any new projects next year.
• Pam Golding Properties offered to pay a commission to the NKRA for every person who contacts them for a property valuation, as a result of a referral from the NKRA. It was agreed to consider this, and to discuss it again at the September meeting.
• Vivian of Blue Living Properties announced that Blue Living Properties have instigated a small Clean-Up project operated by their own staff and have been targeting unkempt streets. Should anyone have noticed specific problem areas in this respect, they are welcome to contact Vivian 083 469 3716 or Sue on 084 6100453.

10. GENERAL
• Captain Moonsamy asked Clr Ravid for help in removing an advertising sign in Houghton Drive, which is obstructing a security camera.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 19 SEPTEMBER 2012

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS