The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 15th APRIL 2015

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE
NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)
ON WEDNESDAY 15th APRIL 2015
AT 17H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chairman); Harry Rutenburg; Dalien Rutenburg; George Kymdell; Ruth Kuper; Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Raphael Ndlovu; Jo Marais; David Kramer; Charles Whyte; Councillor M Ravid; Deon Pelser; Alexandra Leisegang; Abe Sher; Paul Denham; Gabriele Maraschin; Jonathan Hooijer.

1. WELCOME
The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES
Celeste Mulholland; Trish Terry; Mike Kalk; Laurence Sachs; Kayte Denham; Rose Magabane; Dean Dada; Yogan Naidoo; Adam Golding; Margaret Urban; Keith Edmeades; Lyle Peters; Rochelle Aarons.

3. DISCUSSION OF TIME CONSTRAINT
• We will strive to keep the discussions short and relevant, so as to finish by 6pm.

4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
• The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

5. SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM
• Captain Moonsamy presented the detailed crime statistics since the last meeting. The crimes included: 5 malicious damage to properties; 1 armed robbery; 2 fraud; 1 theft out of vehicles; 4 theft of vehicles; 1 attempted theft of vehicles; 13 shoplifting; 3 burglaries; 1 rape using drugs.
• There was also 1 murder – although the police believe that the crime was probably committed elsewhere, and the body was subsequently dumped on the motorway embankment in Killarney. It was agreed that the embankment needs to be cleaned up again.
• The thefts of vehicles were still very high this month. It seems that VW Polo’s are being targeted by a syndicate, who may be using a Mini to deliver the thieves to the scenes of the crimes.
• Please don’t park in the street, and if you must park in the street, please don’t leave valuables visible within the vehicles.
• The SAPS are appealing for buildings to install high-resolution cameras to cover parked cars in the street. The new fibre-optic system might facilitate this once it gets going.
• Abe will speak to his security company about designing an area-wide security project.
• The new JMPD commander for Ward 73 is Sgt Mudziwa, on 083 355 9097. Captain Moonsamy will facilitate a tour of the area with the sergeant to survey the current by-law hotspots.
• By-law infringements such as hawkers and car-washers etc can also be reported to Sergeant Sekula of the JMPD, on 076 641 1145. If she does not respond then call Superintendent Khanyago of the JMPD, on 085 559 3867.
• If you happen to notice a suspicious activity in progress, please contact the SAPS patrol van IMMEDIATELY on 071 675 6001. It doesn’t help to call the police a few days later. If the patrol van does not answer their cell-phone, please call the 10111 emergency number. Please then take note of the exact time and date of the call, as the patrol van personnel change every shift and we need to know the exact time and date of the non-response to be able to hold the correct people responsible. You should then report this poor service by the patrol van to the patrolling supervisors on 071 675 6014/15.

6. FEEDBACK FROM COUNCILLORS
• Clr Ravid previously undertook to request the Gautrain management to re-route their bus, to avoid going through Riviera. There has been no response from them thus far.
• The streetlights that are on time-switches are suffering from the load-shedding. They are being converted to sensors, but this is slow progress.

7. TRAFFIC ISSUES
• Harry’s idea to repaint the speed-humps himself will go ahead, using cheap paint, to see what response we get from the government. Harry was asked please to avoid getting run over in the process.

8. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
• We have still not received any response from City Parks to our formal request for playground equipment – but the new budget will be available in July. Hopefully this budget will contain some good news for us.
• The Centenary Plaque is weathering badly, and is losing its letters. Wayne will talk to the suppliers to find a solution.
• We need extra sweeping efforts in the park to combat the level of litter, as the City Parks sweepers come too seldom, and are insufficiently thorough. Perhaps some buildings would be prepared to assist with this as a regular project?
• We also need to relocate some of the existing rubbish bins into areas where the litter is heaviest. These bins are heavy – would some strong people please volunteer to get together one Saturday to help move some of these bins?
• The Killarney Gardening Club is already active in the park, with a mission to beautify that space. If anybody else is willing to join in and to make a difference, please could you let us know?
• The Vumatel fibre-optic project is steaming ahead – about half the buildings in the area have already signed up. Having your building connected is free, and this connection adds to your resale values, so there is really no reason not to have your building linked up. Connecting your individual unit to the actual service only costs R1500, once-off. Vumatel can be contacted at Killarney@vumatel.co.za or 086100VUMA, or check their website at www.vumatel.co.za

10. FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
• Nothing to report.

11. GENERAL
• The free trolleys that the Mall is giving to participating buildings will be delivered to those buildings shortly.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on
WEDNESDAY 20 MAY 2015 AT 5PM

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS