The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 14th APRIL 2010

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES ON 14th APRIL 2010 AT 18H00

 

 

PRESENT:         Wayne Ford (Chairman)

Liora Kloss; Hein Dyer; Insp Gert Bester; Henry Rudzinski; Jo Marais; Charles Whyte; Steve Mendelsohn; Clr Marcelle Ravid; Debbie de Beer; AK Jadwat; Rochelle Aaron; Dalien Rutenberg; Frank & Audrey Kobrin; Norbert Tamm; Caroline Canard; Leo Schwartz; Mary Caganoff; Herbert Prins; Guy Wilson; Charlotte Danby.

 

1.         WELCOME

WF welcomed everyone to the meeting, and noted that the turnout was again very pleasing. He thanked the Mall for hosting the meeting.

 

2.         APOLOGIES

Alan Lewis; Yogan Naidoo; Jacques Stoltz; Rob Milne; Councillor Mohlala.

 

3.         APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

 

4.         SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

  • Inspector Bester reported that vehicle theft and theft out of vehicles are still our biggest problem. The Newton Road off-ramp intersection and the Riviera Road off-ramp are the main problem areas.
  • He then gave detailed crime statistics for March 2010. These included 1 attempted murder, 1 car-jacking, 3 thefts of vehicles and 7 smash & grabs. There was also 1 arrest for drug possession, and many actions taken against hawkers.
  • People were again requested not to leave cars parked outside – especially at night – and to ensure that the security guards in each building are on the alert around parked cars. 
  • WF reported that the constitutional issues at the Hillbrow CPF are not yet resolved, and that the CPF AGM has been postponed indefinitely by the transitional executive.
  • Councillor Ravid was asked to arrange an on-going blitz on hawkers, vagrants and other by-law related offences.
  • There is an SAPS vehicle in the area at all times. If you notice anything suspicious during working hours, immediately notify Inspector Bester on 072 804 0808. (After hours, please call 10111.) Please try to get a photo of any “suspicious” person or car – especially the licence plate number if you can.
  • It was agreed that the NKRA will obtain a cell-phone for the use of Inspector Bester, our SAPS Sector Manager. This phone will then function as our own local 10111 number. We need to get written permission from the Station Commander first, after which WF will acquire the phone and circulate the number.

 

5.         TRAFFIC ISSUES

  • The NKRA has previously resolved unanimously to build three traffic calming measures, which we will have to pay for ourselves at a cost of about R40,000. Our contractor is in the process of obtaining official sign-off from JRA, after which the work is expected to be completed in a matter of days.
  • Council are still in the process of repainting the street markings on the roads. Apparently they have run out of yellow paint.
  • Repainting our street names will cost about R5000, including the stencils, the paint and labour. Councillor Ravid informed the meeting that we are allowed to proceed, provided we stick to the existing sizes and colours. CW was asked to procure the stencils and the paint. HD advised that the Mall had achieved best results with Plascon road-paint.
  • There is still a need for some of the buildings to display their street numbers on their buildings. All buildings are asked please to ensure their street numbers are displayed prominently. Apparently some security companies place building numbers on fluorescent blocks on the driveways of their clients. WF to investigate this option. Please let us know which security companies do this, so that we can know who to approach for the details.
  • The traffic circle in 9th St has been inspected by JRA engineers, who have confirmed that it is appropriate in size and position. No further action will be taken here.
  • Although we have had positive feedback from the Mayoral Council re the taxi problem, and we have seen some limited action from JMPD, we have been warned that negotiating a long-term solution will be a slow process.
  • In order to resolve the illegal parking issue, we need to continually call JMPD and report safety concerns – resources are allocated on the basis of the level of complaints. We can contact Officer Lucas Mogotsi on 082 506 5691 for general by-law enforcement, and Officer Mbali on 078 309 7297 re traffic offences.
  • The corrective work on the raised pedestrian crossing outside Clicks has still not been done. JM to follow up please.
  • The traffic congestion, and disregard for traffic laws, is “out of control” at the corner of Newton Road and Houghton Drive. This area is also a smash & grab hotspot, in part because the cars stuck in the traffic are particularly vulnerable. Law enforcement is desperately needed here, but in the long term some re-engineering will be required to permanently correct the traffic routing problems. Clr R was requested to initiate a project here, to amend the infrastructure so as to pre-empt the problems.

 

6.         ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

  • Everyone please keep an eye on our parks and other open spaces, and inform Clr R urgently if you notice that the maintenance thereof is deteriorating.
  • The vagrants who raid our wheelie-bins are becoming an increasing problem, and some have been seen to be aggressive. The only answer is to ensure that all recyclable refuse is removed from the PikiTup bins, and recycled separately (and legally) so as to make our refuse less desirable to these vagrants. There are 13 buildings so far signed on to our recycling project. Karel is the contact person, and can be reached on 083 543 4596.
  • We are still waiting for the M1 embankment to be cleaned up alongside the broken fence in 7th St. People in the area are asked please to monitor progress.
  • Plastic pole-mounted litter bins can be obtained from Shawson Plastics of Randburg, on 011 792 1916, at R450 each plus delivery. These bins are not completely theft proof or vandal-proof, but they are designed to survive the “normal” wear and tear associated with street furniture. In order to prevent flies and other unpleasantness, the buildings in question might need to service the bins themselves rather than wait for PikiTup to do so.
  • Alternately, concrete bins will be more expensive, but will certainly be less at risk from vandals, thieves and terrorists. Does anybody know where we can obtain cheap concrete rubbish bins – even second-hand? JM to please enquire once again from PikiTup.
  • Some smart new sponsored rubbish bins have appeared in Oxford Road.  We can also have them if sponsorship for such bins can be found. R500 per month per bin.
  • All buildings were again asked to attend to their pavements regularly, rather than to wait for the government to do this work.

 

7.         NEWSLETTER AND WEBSITE

·         We are about to send out a new-look one-page newsletter. We are just waiting for the new phone number for Inspector Bester.

·         WF to contact Nomsa Nene about the failure of many buildings to receive the newsletters.

 

8.         FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

  • The NKRA welcomes a new member – The Rivieras in North Road.

 

9.         GENERAL

  • Any buildings that are interested in solar water heating, please contact Herbert Prins of Mentone Court. If all buildings work together, the ultimate cost should be cheaper for all.
  • The Mall was again asked to consider repositioning the boom machine at the bottom of the ramp on the western side, which is very difficult to reach from a car stopped on the bend at the bottom of the ramp.

 

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees, and to the Mall for the use of their facilities.

 

The next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 12th MAY 2010 AT 18H00

 

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS