The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 12th MAY 2010

MINUTES FOR THE MONTHLY PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES ON 12th MAY 2010 AT 18H00

 

 

PRESENT:         Wayne Ford (Chairman)

Hein Dyer; Henry Rudzinski; Jo Marais; Charles Whyte; AK Jadwat; Leo Schwartz; Mary Caganoff; Herbert Prins; Yogan Naidoo; Jacques Stoltz; Barry Milner; Helene Bell;

 

1.         WELCOME

WF welcomed everyone to the meeting, and thanked the Mall for hosting the meeting.

 

2.         APOLOGIES

Liora Kloss; Insp Gert Bester; Steve Mendelsohn; Clr Marcelle Ravid; Debbie de Beer; Herbert Prins; Charlotte Danby; Councillor Mohlala; Ashraf Patel; Peter Maynowski; Marion Brower.

 

3.         APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

 

4.         SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

  • Inspector Bester has apologised for not attending. However, per telephonic feedback, crimes in April consisted of 4 thefts of vehicles, and 4 thefts out of vehicles. Again, the intersection of Newton Road and Houghton Drive is the main hotspot. However, there was an armed robbery on 12 May of cash being transported from a business in Hillbrow to the bank – clearly this was carefully planned. Nobody was injured in the robbery.
  • Insp Bester has requested that the NKRA delay the acquisition of a dedicated cell-phone for his use, until further notice. He will continue to be available for the reporting of criminal activity on his personal phone, which is 072 804 0808.
  • WF reported that the constitutional issues at the Hillbrow CPF are not yet resolved. However, the Provincial CPF has been asked to intervene.
  • Councillor Ravid will again be asked to arrange an on-going blitz on hawkers.

 

5.         TRAFFIC ISSUES

  • The NKRA has previously resolved to build three traffic calming measures, at a cost of about R40,000. The objectives and designs have been discussed and agreed with experts, and our engineers are in the process of obtaining official sign-off from JRA.
  • Council have not yet finished repainting the street markings on the roads.
  • CW has obtained prices for stencils and paint to repaint our street names on the kerb-stones. The meeting unanimously approved the purchase of stencils and paint, up to a cost of R5000. CW and WF will hire a painter to paint a small sample of names, and will manage the quality and cost of the painter thereafter.
  • All buildings will again be requested to display their street numbers on their buildings. The meeting agreed that the painting of street numbers on the kerb-stones outside buildings should also be investigated.
  • The Mayoral Council has informed us that they are discussing with the Mall the potential for a properly planned taxi drop-off point. They promised to keep us informed. HD confirmed that traffic engineers are speaking to the Mall about this.
  • A suggestion has been made that Main Road be converted into a one-way, to deter heavy trucks from using this street. It was agreed that this measure would not achieve the objective, and that other alternatives would need to be identified.

 

6.         ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

  • We have logged a reference for the M1 embankment to be cleaned up alongside the broken fence in 7th St. People in the area are asked please to monitor progress.
  • Plastic pole-mounted litter bins can be obtained from Shawson Plastics of Randburg, on 011 792 1916, at R667 each. Congratulations to Glenhof in North Road, who are the first to have bought and installed these bins on their pavement.
  • We are talking to PikiTup to get more concrete street-bins. WF will meet with Mr Tree on this matter when Mr Tree returns from leave next week.
  • City Power are visiting buildings to replace old light-bulbs with energy-efficient bulbs, free of charge. Please alert your residents and security companies about this program.
  • Clr R encourages all residents to remove and destroy illegal signs and advertising on pavements, poles and trees.
  • Street lights again need attention in 1st Street, 2nd Street, 2nd Avenue and Riviera Road. Clr R please to assist.
  • JM read out a news report, mentioning that residents’ associations in other provinces are successfully suing City Councils and Mayors for non-delivery. JM will attempt to contact the associations in question, to get the details.
  • It was noted that the City Power accounts database appears to have crashed. Clr R is requested to look into this urgently.
  • A letter will be sent to the Mayoral Committee member for electricity. The main concerns are: accounts are incorrect or non-existent, lamp-posts are not serviced correctly, power is cut off seemingly without City Power noticing, and the help-line has failed.
  • It was reported that the construction crew at the new building in Anerley Street, have built a rear entrance to the property from 5Th Street in Killarney. This driveway is not to code, and it obstructs the exit of the two buildings in that block. It also obstructs the storm-water drain. Clr R please to request a by-law inspection.

 

7.         NEWSLETTER AND WEBSITE

·         The new-look one-page newsletter will now be sent out.

·         WF will contact Nomsa Nene about the failure of many buildings to receive the newsletters in the past.

 

 

8.         FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

  • SM has apologised for this meeting. WF will follow up with him, and facilitate the sending of invoices where addresses have changed.

 

9.         GENERAL

 

The meeting closed with thanks to all attendees, and to the Mall for the use of their facilities.

 

The next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 9th JUNE 2010 AT 18H00

 

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS