The NKRA is grateful for the support provided in the 4th Street park by our park sponsors PAM GOLDING PROPERTIES and VISION TACTICAL SECURITY.

PGPPGP

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF THE 15th JUNE 2011

MINUTES

FOR THE PUBLIC MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)

ON WEDNESDAY 15 JUNE 2011 AT 18H00

PRESENT: Wayne Ford (Chairman); Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Jo Marais; Councillor Marcelle Ravid; Dave Spencer; Frank Kobrin; Audrey Kobrin; Helene Bell; Deleen Levy; Kayte Denham; Celeste Mulholland.

 

1.    WELCOME

The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

2.    APOLOGIES

Yogan Naidoo; Charles Whyte; Herbert Prins; Liora Brett; Lee Greyling; Andy Grobler; Basil Cohen; Steve Mendelsohn; George Kymdell.

 

3.    APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

4.    SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

  • Captain Moonsamy presented the detailed crime stats since the last meeting. The crimes included: 2 theft out of vehicles, and 3 thefts of vehicles, and 1 burglary residential. 2 people were arrested for smash-&-grab offences. Once again, it is clear that theft of vehicles and theft out of vehicles remain our most serious crime issues. Everyone is reminded not to leave valuables in plain sight inside their cars, as this attracts criminals.
  • Captain Moonsamy reported that the Mall is increasing the number of cameras inside the Mall premises, and he suggested that other buildings should also improve the CCTV coverage of their pavement areas, to better protect parked cars. Improved lighting will also help.
  • It was reported that all Sector Managers have been assigned deputies, to further improve the community-policing service. Warrant Officer Bester, who has long experience of Killarney’s issues, has been appointed as Captain Moonsamy’s deputy for our area.
  • It was suggested that community-safety sign-boards could be installed near the smash-&-grab hotspots. Councillor Ravid will make available the by-laws for such signs.
  • Captain Moonsamy reported that a crime-awareness campaign will be staged by the police in Killarney hotspot areas soon.
  • A serious crime-prevention need is the elimination of “black holes”, being the dark areas where lighting is poor and criminals can lurk unseen. Council streetlights are seriously unreliable, and we are now suffering increased crime as a result. It was previously agreed that the NKRA will invest in low-energy floodlights to light up such areas, provided neighbouring buildings are willing to host and power those lights. Captain Moonsamy and Kayte Denham reported on their Inspection of the area, and they have identified the following areas of concern: 1st Street behind the garages of Daventry Court; 1st Street behind the garages of Mentone Court; Killarney Road outside the Mall at the Clicks end; Main Road alongside Devon Place; 2nd Street, 2nd Avenue and 3rd Street around Brenthurst Court; 5th Street between Bolton Hall and Killarney Park; 9th Street outside Montevideo; 10th Street behind Knightsbridge. The chairman will correspond with the buildings in those vicinities, to hopefully obtain their support in hosting floodlights to further reduce crime.

 

5.    TRAFFIC ISSUES

  • Jo Marais has continued to liaise with JRA to improve traffic safety in 4th Street and Main Road. JRA have apparently identified a new way of solving this problem, although no details are yet available to us. Jo and Wayne will meet next week on site with JRA yet again, to see what more can be done. The traffic problems in 1st Street and Anerley Road might then also be able to benefit from this new system, whatever it may be.
  • The Upper Houghton Residents Association are seemingly supportive of enhancing the traffic island at the corner of Houghton Drive and Newton Road, to reduce congestion there. This project will now be taken to the next phase, namely discussion with a traffic engineer.
  • Councillor Ravid reported that there has been zero response thusfar from JMPD re placing cameras on that intersection, but she will continue to try.

 

6.    ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

  • It was previously agreed to get quotes from private contractors to identify and fix all potholes in Killarney-Riviera, as this would be a very valuable improvement to the area. However only one supplier has been identified so far, and we are having surprising difficulty communicating with them. WF will send the list of identified problems to Clr Ravid, and WF and Charles will meanwhile continue to seek out reliable contractors who are JRA-approved.
  • It was agreed to get quotes for a private street-sweeping service. The outsourced cleaners of Dukes Court are prepared to supply one extra sweeper for R2000 per month, to work 3 days per week. It was however noted that dumping the rubbish is by far the most difficult and expensive part of this service. We can purchase our own extra wheelie-bins, but Clr Ravid suggested that we approach PikiTup re renting bins from them instead.
  • We have received 6 suggestions for sites for new trees. WF will now liaise with City Parks to have these trees supplied and planted.
  • The dangerous road up the hill in 10th Street is being addressed. The owner of the vacant land has been identified, and he is assisting to remove the illegal trees. Concern remains re how to solve the soil erosion problem.
  • JM has registered a request to have the trees on the motorway trimmed, to enhance security. WF will follow this up with City Parks.
  • Gleneagles will be requested to better manage the rubble skip on their pavement in 2nd Street, and to clean up the broken glass if possible.
  • It was noted that the Lhenveolan building continues to deteriorate. Dave Spencer will assist to contact Colin Sidelsky at Rand Realty, who are the managing agents.
  • The Martindale Mews building was mentioned in the newspaper, and the article mentioned that the swimming pool is in the process of being filled in. This should resolve the mosquito problem. Residents who overlook that pool will be asked to keep us informed of progress.

7.    FINANCE AND MEMBERSHIP

  • The treasurer has apologised for tonight’s meeting.
  • We have had three or four expressions of interest from new buildings, who are hopefully all going to become contributing members as well.

 

8.    GENERAL

  • It was suggested that we consider putting crash-proof pot-plants on some of the traffic islands, to brighten the place up.
  • It was suggested that we hold a “Crafts in the Park” day for Spring-Day, in the 4th Street Park. The
    suggestion was well received by the meeting, but the residents of the surrounding buildings will be consulted first to obtain their feedback to this suggestion.
  • Apparently there is a Knitting Circle that meets at the Mall on Wednesdays. Does anybody know about this please?

 

The meeting was closed, with thanks to all who attended, and thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

 

Our next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 20 JULY 2011 AT 18H00

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS